Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow - Cement

Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow - Cement
Eye Shadow - Cement

on 12/20/2008 8:58:00 PM

I'm amazed at the low reviews. This is the perfect crease color for me - I like mattes with a little shimmer in a highlight color. It is the drabbest looking color in the pot you'd ever see, but on my eyes, it gives that shadowy defined look without screaming 'makeup.' NC30 ish, EdM Light Olive, dark brown eyes. Not a showstopper, hence a 4, but a good staple.

on 11/15/2008 1:43:00 PM

I have recently started trying more spendy products other than the nationwide brands (lancome, clinique, etc.) which never impressed me more than the drug store brands.

So, my first foray was MAC shadows. There was a definitely improvement in quality with these--highly pigmented, blend fairly well, stay on a long time with the use of a lid primer. BUT, the COLORS--ewww. On me they were never as pictured on their site or as appeared on people in various pics/videos I've seen on the web....they always turned kinda muddy and flat and me save the bold, bright ones.

So, since most of my makeup wearing is daytime at work I moved onto Bobbi Brown. I got a trio of bone, cement and espresso. WOW! Highly pigmented, blendable and these colors look marvy on me. Worth every penny. Sorry MAC, I am moving on. Its all Bobbi from now on!

on 10/12/2008 1:47:00 PM

I have this shade in the Basics Eye palette that is in stores right now (Oct 08). It's a pretty decent palette, but this shade is only ok. It doesn't blow me away like a lot of other BB colors. It's very light and barely noticeable on my lids by itself. If you are looking for a really natural shadow to sweep on your lids on the low-makeup days (just to even them out or neutralize redness, etc.), then you might like this quite a bit. If you prefer more pigmentation in your eye looks, Cement is useful in its own way. When I feel my eye look is too dark from other colors, this works well for sweeping all over to tone it down a bit. It makes for a nice polished look when used in this way. If you have the Shimmering Nudes palette, this is similar to a the Nude Mist shade, only more matte and maybe a bit less pigmented. I am glad I have this palette and will find uses for this shade, but probably wouldn't re-purchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I guess after reading the reviews, this one just isn't for everybody. I, however, LOVE Cement! According to the BB website, it's a grey beige. Others describe it as a grey-taupe. Either way, it pretty closely resembles wet cement in the pan, though not quite as grey in my opinion. I ordered this untested from BB and then worried as it had such bad reviews here. Thank goodness I ordered anyway! I am wearing it right now in the crease with Bone on the lid and Mahogany ink to line. I am super PPP with cool undertones, brown eyes, and hair that is somewhere in-between dark ash blonde and light brunette. Cement works PERFECTLY on my brows! Seriously, I would buy it over and over again for that reason alone. However, it also adds a nice, natural depth to my eyes when applied in the crease. It looks nice all over the lid as well. Overall, it's an unexciting natural, neutral color in the pan...which I know some find boring, but on me it looks nice, natural, and polished--just the way I like it!

on 1/14/2008 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I have a split pan of Cement/Smoke that I used to use for my brows. I have very dark, almost black hair, but my brows are sparse so I can actually pull off Cement on my brows. It looks slightly darker than my natural brow but filled in and more polished. However I do have a few spots that need extra help so I like to have a darker brow shade on hand to fill those out. Smoke turned out to be not the best color for that, it was a bit too black/harsh. I have since bought a full size of Mahogany and am using that with my Cement. I also use Cement as a subtle crease color with a shimmery champagne on the lid. A great nude eye for work.

I find that using MAC Paint in Bare Canvas over my entire lid, including my brows really helps to grab the color and make it stay in place all day. I put it on at 6:30 in the morning and it doesn't come off till I take it off.

on 1/10/2008 6:18:00 PM

This makes a terrific barely-there crease color for me (I've used it on the lids, too, but don't like that quite at well). On days when I want a natural look I put on Nars AAE with this in the crease, liner and mascara, and am set to go. Like all BB shadows, it blends really, really easily. It is a light matte taupe, verging towards the gray side. Not a thrilling color to look at in the pan, but folks who like neutrals should check this out. Mac NW 20, brown hair and eyes.

on 11/19/2007 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Perfect to emphasize my ash blonde eyebrows. However, it doesn't really have enough pigment to use as a shadow unless one is after a *very* natural look.

The Bobbi Brown website describes this shade as a grey-beige... I find that it leans more towards the grey side of that description. It is a matte shade and is featured in the "Summer" collection for this year.
I would say this shade is a nice neutral color but I don't find this shadow to be very long lasting, even when using UDPP... and I find that I have to apply a lot to get it to show up(I'm a PPP). So with that said, it's not as pigmented as other shadows I've used... I would not purchase this shade again.

on 3/13/2006 9:20:00 PM

I picked this up at CCO as it was only $13.50! Cement is a medium smokey matte taupe. Gals who love neutrals will want to try this.

I was using this on my brows until I took a good look at it in natural light and realized that it has a weird pinky undertone. YMMV of course.