MAC So Chaud

4.5

on 12/25/2009 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love So Chaud! I was looking for an Orangish-Red after I saw the makeup at the Spring/Summer 2008 Temperley London show. So I went to the Mac Counter and I first tried Morange, which I decided was WAY too orange. Then I tried So Chaud because it has a more reddish coloring that is not too bold yet still very vibrant and fun. As a lot of other reviewers mentioned, it's a great Summer color but I have found myself wearing it in the dead of winter! I love the matte consistency, however it does slightly dry out lips if they have not been moisturized for a while. My favorite thing to do is blot it with a Kleenex, it brings out the matte finish.

on 8/14/2009 2:02:00 PM

My perfect orange-red! I wear this all throughout the Spring and Summer months and it brightens up my face like nothing else I've tried. I happen to love the matte formulation and don't find it drying at all. This one is all about the color though. Bright and bold without looking garish or inappropriate during the day. One of my all-time favorite lipsticks for sure.

on 5/30/2009 3:46:00 PM

The perfect red for summer! This is definitely a red with orange tones - not a red orange. It's bright but for some reason strikes me as an everyday red and is more wearable than serious shades like ruby woo. It looks fabulous on my tanned skin and the texture is to die for! Lives up to it's name for sure.

So Chaud strikes me as a toned-down, slightly more orange version of Lady Danger (but So Chaud is still quite bold) that looks nice against my pale, yellow-toned skin. So Chaud also has great color pay-off. The only slightly bothersome thing about it is that it seems rather drying and accentuates any chapping on my lips, but that's the case with all matte reds and oranges. This is a great red for anyone with warmer skintones.

it's a lovely bright pop against my nc40 skin. it goes on a reddish orange, and as the day progresses, it turns a bright fuchsia. it's not drying on my lips, and i never have to reapply during the day.
i would definitely buy this again. it's a wonderful cheery summer colour.

on 3/30/2008 9:22:00 PM

I am so in love with this color -- against my pale N15/20 skin it is gorgeous. I think it manages to make me look even paler, but in a good way, as it doesn't simply wash the color our of my skin because it's such a warm (and perfect) orange red. I bought this color to go with Essie Geranium, a bright red-orange polish, for a vintage pin-up kind of look. This is exactly what I was looking for! It works great as a stain and is buildable, so you don't have to wear it full-force if you're not comfortable with that. It is a little drying, but not as drying as I was afraid it would be.

on 3/20/2008 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So Chaud is an absolutely gorgeous bright orangey-red matte shade. I also agree that it's a definite summer shade, but having said that, it's good all year-round. Although it may not look versatile, I think it would suit a number of colourings. I'm NW25, blue eyes, brown hair, and it looks great on me, and it looked great when I was a blonde too. So Chaud can be worn as a full-on block of colour (although the Matte formula can be drying), a stain or with some gloss over the top. I can't see it working very well with cool-toned blushes but it looks great with warmer blushes such as NARS Exhibit A, Taos, or Alima Apricot blush. Take this lipstick, a smidgen of blush, black winged-out eyeliner and lashings of mascara and you'll be sex on legs.

on 9/17/2007 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

So Chaud is a matte formula and the MAC site describes is as "an intense reddish-orange (matte)."

Well, it is intense - in a very sharp, saturated way. It isn't muted in the least, more of a clear tone. But it also doesn't read on my skin as intense reddish-orange so much as it does an intense 50s style orangey-pink. Highly tropical!

Well, I wanted a "serious color" lipstick, and it don't get much more serious than this. However, I usually do better in shades that are a bit muted, and I really try to avoid high pitched pinks at all costs, so I'll be sending this one back.

However, I do think it would be gorgeous on a fair to medium olive skinned brunette - sort of Sophia Loren/Gina Lollabrigida in coloring and style. Really vamp it up with a one piece bathing suit all ruffles and curves and Esther Williams boy legs. Add a curvy platform peep-toe slide and a large brimmed hat and bring the boys to their knees!

(I, on the other hand, am more of an Irish Colleen, red hair, freckles and such. I could wear this color successfully with some work, but I'd not be physically comfortable in it.)

on 9/14/2007 8:09:00 PM

Just gorgeous! Why there aren't more people flocking to buy this is beyond me. It's been the perfect summer red for me and I will wear it again next Spring/Summer. A beautiful warm red with a good bit of orange. It's vivid but not crazy bright. I didn't feel like a clown wearing it which was my fear. Honestly, if you like warm red shades you MUST try this lipstick!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Mac Describes this as: An intense reddish-orange.

This is a lipstick I B2M'd for- I was looking at the lipsticks and the MA asked me what color I was looking for. He ended up telling me to try So Chaud. At first I was really hesitant about the color, but after a couple of wears I fell in love with it.

Paired with Subculture lip liner (to prevent feathering.) So Chaud is a beautiful intense orangey/coral that is acceptable for day wear. It is a matte formula so it's very drying. I paired it with Slicked Pink lip gelee just to loosen it up a little bit. It has incredible staying power. I wore this combination for a six hour work shift, and it still looked amazing.

My only problems are the formula being a matte and the fact that I don't have a warmer blush to wear with this lipstick.

Get this lipstick wear it!

(for reference I am a C3)

Popular Lipsticks