bareMinerals Bare Minerals Original Mineral Veil

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
bareMinerals Bare Minerals Original Mineral Veil
Bare Minerals Original Mineral VeilBE Mineral Veil

3.6

This product is worse than any drugstore makeup, and please let me explain. I went to the Bare Escentuals store and their regional makeup artist from New York made me over. Unfortunately, I'd bought into the hype and didn't notice that the makeup made me look ten years older by settling into my fine lines and accentuating pores I didn't even know I had until the friends who I went with told me afterwards. When I got home in different (brighter) lighting, I saw that my friends were right even though a BE professional put it on me! But I'd already bought the "good for your skin" hype (hype that has no scientific basis), so I decided to try it out.

****On a practical level, the makeup is sorely lacking. The application of the makeup added ten minutes to my makeup time. The tops of the jars aren't labeled, so you have to turn the jars upside down to read what product you're using. And the "swirl-tap" method is messy (powder all over the counter) and time-consuming. The price is appealing until you also have to buy the brush cleaners, and all the rest of it. The marketing is genius because they essentially convince you that you need a foundation, a blush, an all-over face color, a mineral veil, and on and on, a lot of made-up make-up to take more of your money. Glee looks like mud, plain and simple. It adds another layer of corn starch to your face. The hype surrounding this makeup is unbelievable. Can you tell me the difference between the all-over face-color, the radiance colors, and the blushes? They want you to use all three, so how are all three different from just one? I'll tell you the difference: $44 dollars is the difference! Instead of just getting a blush and using it lightly in some areas, heavier in other areas, they get you to buy three different products. Bare Escentuals are also highly inconvenient to travel with because of the holes in the tops of the jars (the makeup shakes around and leaves a fine powder over everything).

****Now, of course, if you put enough makeup on (ANY kind of makeup), your complexion will look better. But be warned: this makeup is no more natural or mineral-like than any other makeup, and that's a fact, just read the labels. According to the ingredients, THIS MAKEUP IS NOT ANY BETTER FOR YOUR FACE THAN ANY OTHER MAKEUP WITH SPF. Many consumers of BE report a drying and aging effect. Upon inspecting the ingredients at home, I found that corn starch was one of the main ingredients, and I imagine there are better things to put on your face than corn starch. Within a week of using Bare Minerals, my skin broke out horribly. Right now, their blemish formula is one of their bestselling products, and now you know why. I strongly believe that Bare Minerals is all hype--an infomercial phenomenon that is the equivalent of selling you beach-front property. I saw many women around me on that Make-Under event day in the Bare Escentuals store look horrible and get taken for a lot of money. I have never seen anyone look good in this makeup, just my opinion. I have been complimented on my skin a lot and I take good care of it, but this makeup made it look terrible.

****Ladies, most commercials are under 2 minutes, but BareEscentuals has a commercial that runs much longer: the long commercial full of nothing but promises and enthusiastic accolades with no proof but well-doctored photos and well-lit models is designed to make you think that it is the ONLY worthy makeup, the savior of makeups. Consumer loyalty is created by the commercials, but the product is NOT better for your skin than other oil-free brands with SPF.

Being that I had such a positive experience with BEís All Over Face Color in Warmth, and being new to BE, I decided to try this, since I was in the market for a finishing powder. (I am really behind and missed the train when everyone jumped on the BE wagon-and am just starting to experiment). This was not a winner, however. Despite what some others have experienced with it being translucent and airbrushed looking, on me it didnít live up to the hype. I have dry, sensitive skin, and usually use Laura Mercier Mineral powder as foundation, which has never accentuated dryness. After using mineral veil over LM, I noticed it accentuated any rough/dry areas, and even seemed to cause some flakiness. It also looked powdery on me, even when using the lightest hand, and lightened my complexion, which are both negative qualities in my book. I have since discovered MACís Mineralized Natural Skin Finish, which gives me the airbrushed and gorgeous finish I was looking for without all the mess of a loose powder.

on 12/1/2008 11:43:00 PM

I really like this powder! It lost a lippie for the packaging, as I feel most of bare mineral's products are messy to use. However, this does a nice job of setting my makeup. I highly recommend!

Beautiful...I love this powder, it really finishes off my make up with a nice matte look!

I recommend this and will buy it again!

Mineral Veil is hands down the messiest product I have ever used. It has a heaviness to it and so it's not like regular loose powder and doesn't seem to stick as well to the brush when I put it on. It is literally all over my entire case, shirt, and sink no matter what I do.

As for what it does for my face. I'm super fair NW15 (even lighter) and this powder is too dark for my skin. It also tends to emphasize my fine smile lines on my cheekbones under my eyes. I'm not impressed whatsoever with this product!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hmmm... what to say, what to say! B/E products make me BREAK OUT... gave me millia (little, hard white bumps-- like hard whiteheads... EW!) and made my skin ITCH like nobody's business.

THAT being said... after all the money I spent on this product, I wanted to find SOME use for it. Being that I have Chestnut-Chocolate brown hair, I am unable to use the "baby powder" trick without looking like Taylor Hicks on a bad episode of American Idol for days I go without a wash. HERE'S where the Mineral Veil comes in! I use this baby with a HUGE blush brush that I don't use anymore to soak up the oils in my hair. Guess what? It blends in SEAMLESSLY and makes my unwashed hair look GREAT again. Would I buy it again? No. But, this works until all of it's used up!

on 10/27/2008 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Mineral Veil is one of my true HG products. I'm not too fond of the BE foundations or concealers, but MV is wonderful. It's the only product I've found that can keep my face oil free for hours on end. Plus, it doesn't turn orange on me (which is rare indeed). I'm on my third jar and plan to keep using it.

I use this before and after I put on my mineral foundation. Since the bismuth made me break out horribly (cystic acne) I changed and now use Everyday Minerals and Sweetface Minerals.
Since the mineral veil does NOT contain bismutch oxychloride I still use it.
It provides a lovely base for the foundation and really 'sets' it afterwards.
It keeps my face (forehead) from becoming oily during the day.

I love Mineral Veil but I will try to find a different product for it, I think it's too expensive and I don't like the Bare Minerals crook since the bismuth, which is not a natural ingredient at all, made me break out so horribly after only 2 weeks.

on 9/17/2008 4:26:00 PM

I try to avoid wearing a lot of make up. The Mineral Veil loose powder allows me to do just that! It's light enough to not feel like my skin is suffocating, but still does a beautiful job of controlling shine and evening out my skin tone.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Looks nice over BE foundation but this did NOTHING to control my oil