Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 11/26/2018 3:30:00 AM

This product does the trick! I have oily eyelids and just a small blended amount will keep my eyeshadow on all day. A little goes a long way with this stuff.

My only complaint is I find if you accidentally use too much or don't blend well enough it can look cakey but still recommend it highly!

on 11/11/2018 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

So, anywhere you look at - everyone is using UDPP. It is probably the one product, that you will recall of, whenever you'll think "eyeshadow primer". It's what made primers widespread and than you for this, UD.

Usually I used Catrice primer, the old edition and current, which comes in tube. A primer is my musthave since I have hooded, oily eyelids. Before I used to put certain crayon like eyeshadows underneath or creme concealer.

Today I will review UDPP, the edition, that you can currently buy. To keep it short - what can I say. But it failed. After few hours my eyeshadow creases. I use this with standard powder eyeshadows by NYX or Sleek or Meow Cosmetics pigment and shadows noticeably crease. I used it wil NYX Lid Lingerie (Rose Gold?) - same. When I top it with powder shadow and glitter glue with glitter on top, mostly it lasts okay. But for this price, I'm quite disappointed with this famous UD primer.
It costed me around 20 euro and Catrice one, which has similar texture, for ~ 2,35 euros works better.

I did try work with it - put less or more, let it dry and even set it, but it doesn't work for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've tried many methods of eye priming as a person with horrifically oily eyelids. Concealer, foundation, other primers, and this lovely little potion works magic. I live in a very humid, hot country and I usually don't expect many eye primers to hold more than two to three hours, but UD has once again exceeded my expectations. It comes in a little tube which looks like a squeeze bottle but it has a doe-foot applicator.

The primer goes on really smoothly and creates a slightly tacky base once blended out. I've seen people use a brush to buff the primer in but I personally didn't find it working too well. I prefer tapping it in with my fingers or a silicone sponge. Using a brush created streakiness, which didn't allow even application of eyeshadow.

I have found one problem where if I use concealer below the eye primer (when I'm highlighting my brow bone), it seems to layer on top oddly and creates patchiness that is hard to remove without taking off everything and doing it again, so I avoid putting concealer near my eyelid.

This primer is a true legend. Did UD put real magic in a tube? Is that why it's called a potion? It kept my eyeshadow and eyeliner on for 8+ hours and looked like I had just applied my eyeshadow. No bleeding, no fall out, no smudging.

It is a little pricey - the mini tube I got at Sephora was $16 while the full sized one was $35, but my current tube has lasted a few months and is still pretty full so I do believe it's well worth the price for the quality and quantity.

Keep working your magic, UD.

on 10/28/2018 11:37:00 PM

I have bought this so many times just because I had been using it in my makeup routine. Honestly I never really was like oh my gosh I need this until I went without it for the first time today. I did my eyeshadow and left the house. By the time I drove 20 minutes to work, my eyeshadow was nonexistent. I’m used to having my eyeshadow just as bold as if I just did them all day. So if you are reading this and thinking about purchasing this product, just know that I never realized how much I need this until I went without it once and regretted it within probably 30 min.

The good:
Keeps eyeshadow there ALL DAY (no exaggeration) If i sleep with my eyeshadow and use this product there’s still some in the morning
Pretty packaging
10$ for travel size which lasts forever

The bad:
Chunky and pasty texture
Will crease if not fully dried
Smells kinda funny but not very noticeable
Odd to apply with applicator

I did put a lot of bads but the product is something that does really well at its job and the bads do not out weigh the goods

on 9/25/2018 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Prevents eyeshadow from creasing even after 14 hours. I have oily lids and eyeshadows and liners would crease after about 3 hours without a good eyeshadow base. I like the wand for ease of application, but some may find it unhygenic after a while. I only use a little bit on each eye, so 1 tube lasts for many months of daily use. Performs about the same as the nars eyeshadow base. For a (much) cheaper alternative, go for Canmake eyeshadow base (the one in the tube, not the pan. They have 2 types. The one on the pan creases after a few hours). Canmake is more silicone-y, but function wise its just as good as Urban Decay as it makes my eyeshadow lasts all day.

On one hand it makes my rainbow eyeshadow really stand out, but on the other a pointless hassle to work with:

This primer is extremely sticky. YES I know that's a good thing & adherence keeps your eyeshadows fresh HOWEVER it dries the heck out of my eyelids...and I don't even have dry eyelids! Also when I'm applying this primer I can feel myself unnecessarily dragging the skin just so the primer could spread...I'm not ready for more fine lines around my eyes! On the plus side it caused me no irritation :/

I would ONLY recommend this product to people with OILY eyelids.

I have found much better eye primers that are less than half the cost & perform just as well if not BETTER. Sorry Urban Decay, it's a NO from me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Excellent product AND it works as a concealer. I get greasy eyelids and this helps set up a more matte base before applying eye shadows.

This stuff is my holy grail in my makeup collection, its the only one that seems to work for me. I've tried others and nothing performs like this one. The only thing I hate about it is they like to change the packaging a lot I've had both versions from the squeeze tube to the doe-foot applicator and I find the squeeze tube the best because you can get just a little bit you seem to have more control. This also great for glitters too and chrome shadows it work for everything just love it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Such an incredible eyeshadow primer, the first I’ve tried and it’s already a favourite and possibly HG. In my experience, does a lot more than when I’ve tried to use concealer as a base. Helps to make shadows more vibrant and pop, last longer and apply better/smoother. I intend on either repurchasing this or trying the Anti-Ageing Eyeshadow Primer Potion by Urban Decay or testing Too Faced’s Shadow Insurance. The only thing I don’t like about this primer is the price tag but luckily mine’s a sample size and I only had to pay $20 AUD for it. Another plus is it seems like a lot of product, even in the sample size and lasts forever.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

It seems like forever since I purchased this and I still have over half the tube left! This is always a staple before using eye m/u as it helps it glide on and stay put - in my case at least 7-8 hours. No fading, shifting or creasing. It goes on beige but vanishes/becomes transparent once applied. I don't wear eye m/u very often but when I do this is always a part of the routine. In fact I'm not sure I would be able to apply anything now without applying this first!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I'm constantly trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample/trial sizes from e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
3. Pigmentation/Anti-Ageing: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream