Clinique Colour Surge Bare Brilliance in Waterviolet

Clinique Colour Surge Bare Brilliance in Waterviolet

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have to agree with the reviewer below. I almost gave this away before I even tried it. In the tube it looks straight up purple which is not something that works on a girl of my coloring (blonde, blue, and super pale). However after reading the reviews I gave it a go, and it's fabulous. It's more like a gloss stick than a lipstick really. Not much in the way of color. A very very sheer hue with just enough sparkle to stand out. Minus one for the lasting power.

I almost gave this away without trying it(received as GWP) because the colour looked, well, Violet in the tube. I'm generally a bare gloss, brown, or nude colour kind of girl.I tried it, though; and boy, am I glad I did!
Absolutely gorgeous, flattering, and subtle colour. I *love* this colour, and have been reaching for it 9 times out of 10 since I tried it out.
Will definitely be making a purchase of other colours in the formulation. The sheer wash of colour is perfect for colour scaredy-cats like me, who get bored of the neutrals sometimes.
I got quite a few complements on the colour from friends(and even my mother... who never comments on my makeup, as she can't get into my natural look. she's been begging me to wear colour for 15 years now!) which seals it for me. Definitely a keeper, but 4 lippies, as I agree with the prior reviews stating that staying power leaves a bit to be desired. continued >>

on 10/29/2005 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I'm not a fan of this, especially for the price--Maybelline's Wet Shine Diamonds do a comparable job for around 1/3 of the price. Try Mauvey Rocks--it's very similar (I own this one and it's great). Also staying power leaves a LOT to be desired.

on 9/14/2005 4:09:00 PM

Very pretty sheer lipstick. It is supposed to be in the violet color family from Clinique (and looks like a light violet in the tube), but on my lips it looks like a sheer wash of shimmery pink. It's flattering and subtle and looks great with brown, plum or grey eye makeup. It doesn't last long though just like the formulation on the Clnique site indicates. But I'd repurchase, because it's very pretty and great for a polished on-the-go look. I find that I reach for this often as a basic staple.

This is a beautiful color and I love the shimmer, but it's way too sheer for me. If I want sheer, I'll use a gloss, but I want a bit more color if I'm using a lipstick. I wouldn't even call this a gloss stick, because it doesn't feel very moisturizing to me.

EDIT: I decided to give this lipstick another try. Layered 2x on its own, the color intensifies beautifully. Worn over a liner (Rimmel Eastend Snob) it is suddenly incredibly beautiful. Worn this way, it's an iris- or violet-tinged pink that's different from anything else I own. I have changed my rating from a 2 to a 4 now. Waterviolet, I'm so glad I gave you another chance!

Some folks may like this kind of formula, but I don't.

on 8/19/2005 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Smooth beautiful color. Goes on nice, stays where you put it. Makes my lips feel conditioned and soft.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My new HG! I love the CSBB line, and this one is my favorite (along with pink beach). It is sheer, subtly glossy and subtly sparkly. It feels great on my lips--the first l/s I've been able to tolerate. I only wish it had more staying power--it definitely doesn't last through a meal or even a snack.

on 2/27/2005 4:33:00 PM

Mine is this adorable little mini-lipstick--I love it. This color is very pretty and wearable--a sheer,cool, violet pink with glitter. I don't think the glitter is over the top, and this shade looks similar on me to Dior's SHiniest chesnut, although I prefer the Dior in terms of formula and color complexity. I think the Clinique version would make a cheaper alternative. Effortlessly pretty.

on 12/3/2004 6:58:00 PM

I'm a hazel-eyed, brown-haired PPP (Stila 10 watts) and this is just the perfect "throw it on without looking in the mirror" lippie for me. My stepmom (Blue/Blonde medium olive skin) tried it and it looked incredible on her too.
It makes a subtle shimmer that rounds out my lips and although the color is sheer, the shimmer fills in my uneven lip line.
I think it's a neutral cool rose color, not really that violet, at least on me. A huge bonus is no taste or fragrance.
Definitely one of my lippie HGs, I have one in my purse, one on my dressing table, and one in my car!

on 12/2/2004 10:15:00 AM

I fell in love with this shade! Shimmery sheer light violet... Well, after 40 minutes it got absorbed into my lips and all I still have - pieces of chunky glitter glued to my lips - yuck! Well, I applied lip balm and liner and tried it again... Same story, but took longer to dry out and gave me "nice" rush around my mouth. I never in my life had reaction to any lipstick! Back to the store it went...