Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.7

on 5/6/2005 3:57:00 PM

Like so many of you hear at MUA, I too have a large collection of fragrances but Ombre Rose is the queen. I have worn this on and off since the early 80's and I absolutely adore it. My only complaint is that I wish it were stronger! The last bottle that I bought online a couple of months ago is much more powdery than I remember it but I still love it. They changed the formula for a few years but apparently, Jean-Charles has won the rights back and has restored it to it's original scent. I'm sure there are many bottles out there which aren't the original, even if it does say "L'original." Imagine my delight the other day when I walked into Walmart in small town Ontario and saw Ombre Rose - 30 ml for $24.95 Cdn. I haven't bought it yet but I am curious to see if it is the real McCoy.

Lovely, lovely!!! Very romantic, classy and feminine in a refined way. Unique and powdery fragrance. Not very popular and therefore an insider-tip!?!?! Hard to find in Germany. *Ombre Rose* smells a bit like *LUTECE by Houbigant*. If you can't find Ombre Rose try Lutece instead.
Have fun and enjoy fragrances!!!

on 2/4/2005 1:09:00 AM

For the first hour the scent is smothered in powder. As the powderiness fades, a lovely, sparkling (fizzy! what a neat effect!), honeyed rose emerges--so pretty, but alas, still too powdery for me. Sweet and ladylike.

on 1/23/2005 6:49:00 PM

I love powdery scents, and this is no exception. If you like Lipstick Rose or Ivoire, try this. It has the same cosmetic drama of the first, and shares with the second a tension between softness and astringency.

on 12/27/2004 9:31:00 AM

The bottle is gorgeous, and I really wanted to like this product. I like roses, I like pretty bottles, I like oddball frags no one remembers -- perfect combination you'd think. But on me it turned to pure, thick, cloying powder. There was almost never a rose moment.

Now, people describe this (and Gloria), as "honeyed," and I'm never quite sure if what I mean by that is what anyone else means. Honey in the jar is sweet, bitter, aromatic. "Honeyed" perfumes seem to refer, too often, to a cloying sweetness that is nothing like honey. Gloria, Anne Pliska, Ombre Rose, none of them are "honey," they're sweet, in the way dimestore powder is sweet, in the way little old Haddasah Bubbehs spray on a spritz of their favorite perfume (which they've had -- same bottle -- for twenty years) before Sedar and Mah Jong club.

I love Haddasah Bubbehs, and the way they smell, but I don't like that smell on me. On them, it's touching and sweet and tender. On me it is thick, dimestore powder, cloying, the material of Nightmare In The Elevator!!! You'll Never Ride Again!!!

On my skin, Ombre Rose was like that. Do I think it's going to be like that on everybody? No. I gave my sample bottle to someone else I rather liked who was going through a bad patch and needed encouragement. She loved it and wore it beautifully -- a soft float of clean. But I want to add a note of caution: try before you buy, because this is a VERY strongly powdery powder, and a not very rosy rose.

EDITED several years later: Wow! Life and tastes can sure change. love Ombre Rose now - a soft powder, with an almost salty, very delicate almond note, that flows around a very delicate rose. it's sort of talcum powder meets heliotrope meets salty vanilla, but all of those elements are really delicate. If you wait long enough, the drydown picks up a little incense, too. The parfum is GORGEOUS - even more salty almond/powder, less rose.

on 12/5/2004 12:34:00 PM

When I first sniffed this then initially applied I really loved the powdery rose and felt completely smitten. However it leaves a somewhat chemical, dry rose scent after a while which did fade as it dried completely. It is quite nice, extremely comforting (it reminds me of something from my youth just not sure what) but it is just not the holy grail I thought it might be. Beautiful bottle and I will use it happily.

on 8/15/2004 10:52:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I've worn this fragrance for years and I've never known anyone else who wears it. I loved it then and I still love it even though I haven't worn it much for several years, I think I just tired of it and wanted to try something new. On me this is a very beautiful, very powdery rose scent that's never overpowering or too much. And, the bottle is a very elegant match to this fragrance. I highly recommend this fragrance to anyone who likes a beautiful, elegant, and refined fragrance.

This reminds me of the 6th grade!--in the best possible way. One day, I used my mother's Ombre Rose scented soap in the shower and I went to school smelling sooooo good and feeling ultra-chic and grown up. Well, I guess the sense of confidence and well-being I felt that day are strongly connected to this scent (not to mention the sensory connection to my mother), so I doubt I will ever outgrow or grow tired of Ombre Rose. It's so pleasant and wearable and has, for me, become a comfort scent. I'd describe it, like the other reviewers have, as a powdery rose scent. Just beautiful.

on 6/17/2004 5:50:00 AM

I wore this in the early 80's so it's a scent-imental favorite! I find myself going back to some of the things I wore then. This is powdery and clean and ultra-feminine. Great for evening or winter wear.

on 4/8/2004 8:01:00 PM

Beautiful bottle. I was impressed with this scent. Sweet powdery rose with a kick - very romantic and feminine. I don't usually like such sweet fragrances but this one was very nice.

Popular Fragrances