NARS Cosmetics Zen

NARS Cosmetics Zen
ZenNARS zenNARS Zen

4.5

on 10/31/2006 1:20:00 PM

Color looks like a yellowy beige/tan in the pan, but turns into a sheer, peachy light bronze color on my skin. I have a light complexion with yellow undertones and sweeping this blush over my cheekbones makes me look slightly tanned, without any unpleasant ruddiness. With a pop of pink or peach on the apples of my cheeks, I look healthy and glowing. And even though there's no shimmer, it somehow doesn't look flat. I think this is sort of like a more pigmented version of the bronzer/Face Lusters in Fresh's "Here Comes the Sun" palette. It's sheer, but not quite as sheer, and being matte, it can be unforgivingly orangey if one doesn't have the proper brush/skill to apply it (I use the MAC #187 of course). Lasting power is fair, not great, as with the other NARS powder blushes. But still, I like the color quie a bit and am glad I managed to add this one to my (slowly growing) NARS blush collection!

ETA: I ended up swapping this one away because it ended up looking too gingery on me. I've since found that Everyday Minerals' blush in "Email Me" is an inexpensive substitute, being a soft, neutral beigey blush with a hint of pink as well, but isn't as warm as Zen. It's also not as pigmented and more suitable for lighter complexions.

I bought this because I'm in love with NARS blushes, and Zen was one of the many shades I want to try. I'm a PPP with yellow undertones, and this blush gives me a whole different look than Orgasm, which I also own. My boyfriend told me Zen makes me look "more Mediterranean." After looking at these reviews, I tried using both Zen and Orgasm, and I really like the results. For a PPP like me, I'd say this is a pretty pigmented blush, and I have to be careful not to be too heavy-handed with it. For someone with darker skin I can see how more layering would be necessary. Will repurchase unless one of the other NARS shades is better.

on 7/22/2006 8:04:00 AM

UPDATE FROM REVIEW BELOW
I really love this blush now, it really is great at contouring even with just a tiny amount, and the texture is fantastic. It's really natural looking and I like pairing it with a bright colour on the lips.

Hmm, from the reviews here I think I was expecting something that didn't really add any colour to my face but somehow magically contoured it. I guess that's not really possible, but all the same, this blush disappointed me somewhat. My first thought upon application was 'orange'!! Not one of my favourite looks. Yes it does contour well, and the quality is of course excellent. But I'll keep searching for the perfect nude that blends in to my skin rather than stands out. PS This is very similar to Shu Glow On in M Amber 85, of which I have the same criticisms. Of the two, I think I prefer the texture of Nars.

Eyes: Violet

I love this blush. Like a lot of other reviews have said, this is a great bronzer for pale skin. I'd imagine it would look good on darker skin tones as well, as you can build intensity with this blush really easily.
The color is really pretty, and really easy to blend. I use it every day, now. I will repurchase if I ever run out.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Girls with NW20 skin and ligher know that we have to be careful with bronzers. It if not the right shade you'll end up with an orange face. The smooth, matte texture allows for versatility when layering colors. Apply like a bronzer and use Orgasm on apple of cheeks for a 2 dimensional look. Can also be used for subtle contouring. Also a great neutral blush for smokey/dramatic eyes. Great with Laura Mercier Pressed Bronzer in Shimmer because it sets off the shimmer in the powder quite well.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this is the best neutral blush i've been able to find for my cool skin tone. usually, neutral = orange on my face, but zen really is perfect for me. like many others, i hardly wear this one alone, but i can if i wanted just a pop on my cheekbones. my fav. combo is actually with pout pearly queen, which turns out to be a very pretty pinky brown. overall, soft texture, nicely pigmented, great packaging.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Great product, but too warm for me. Consequently, Zen was returned, and will not be a repurchase... but I will continue to purchase NARS blushes.

on 6/20/2006 5:04:00 PM

I had a makeover at the NARS counter the other day. I told the MA that I hate Laguna (cause I do, it makes me look dirty), and he used this for bronzer instead. So gorgeous. I'm PPP/LLL (NARS Deauville/MAC NC20 right now - yay self tanner) and slightlwarm. Zen goes on smooth and stays where I put it. Definitely the best purchase I made that day!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

ZEN is a MUST HAVE for me. I have never used it alone as a blush. Instead I use it for contouring by applying it slightly under the cheekbones and at the temples, and then sweeping a pink blush on the cheekbone. It gives my face dimension and a very refined look. I've never come across a shade that is so perfect for contouring - most have too much pink or orange in them. I've also used Zen in place of a bronzer by sweeping it on the cheekbones and temples. I have NC20/yellowish skin but it seems like it would work on a wide variety of skin tones.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I use this as a " bronzer" on my PPP yellow toned skin...great for bringing out bone structure without adding too much colour! Excellent choice for daytime as it has no shimmer.

Popular Blush Products