AmLactin 12%

AmLactin 12%
AmLactin 12%Amlactin MeAmLactin 12%

4.1

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

A derm recommended this for the ketosis pilaris I have on my chest and legs and I find that while it doesnt cure it (nothing does) it definitely helps. I have been using it for about 3 months, by the way, but I remember noticing improvement within weeks. At first, I used it AM and PM, but now i only use it in PM (I don't really like wearing any lotion but SPF in the summer). It makes my skin look and feel much smoother and it also seems to help calm it and make it less red (which I had not expected). The only thing that bothers me about this stuff is you have remember to WEAR A GOOD SPF daily on any areas that might get exposed. I got sunburned on the back of my calves while running in the morning despite the fact that it was a real stretch to call it running (so I was not sweating) and I had applied SPF to that area before going out (plus it was 6am and i was only out for like 40 mins!). Normally, I am not prone to sunburn, but I also blame it on the SPF I was using (it claimed to be 70spf).

Great lotion. I've been suffering from a skin rash that spread from my mid back to all over my back, chest, stomach, and shoulders which has been going on for about a year now and nothing I tried before seemed to have any affect on it. After doing some research, this lotion kept coming up and I figured it doesn't hurt to try. I'm really glad I did. Though the rash and bumps are not completely gone, I do believe it is this lotion that stabilized the rash and kept it from growing further. The bumps have gone down exceedingly and the lotion has helped to heal my skin. The smell is kinda funky but its not overpowering.

This product works miracles. When I moved to new york my skin went to hell. It became so dry and itchy that I couldn't stop scratching it even though I was making myself bleed. I slathered myself with skin butters, oils, cortisone creams, anything I could get my hands on and this was the only thing that worked. It smells funny, but it exfoliates and moisturizes really well. Now my skin is back to its normal shiny healthy self again. It also helps make my feet soft, and I use it on my face now and then when my skin starts looking dull.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My doctor recommended AmLactin to me for the keratosis pilaris on my upper arms. At first I used it intermittently and did not see any results. Recently I have begun to use it after every shower, and I definitely see an improvement on my KP. My arms feel much smoother, although the redness is still there. It definitely did not work right away, but I can tell that it's getting better the more I use it. So, to those who are wavering for lack of immediate results, I say stick with it for a bottle. Also, the smell reeks, but it disappears very quickly. All in all I'm happy so far.

I have KP on the backs of my arms and butt. I've asked doctors for a solution and they could not even tell me what it was. I figured it out with internet/magazines. This lotion showed results in the first week and now I've been using it for awhile and my arms have never been smoother. So happy!

on 11/9/2011 8:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm going to try something a little different with this review. I'm going to start off by explaining what I initially think about it, and then I'm going to come here week by week, to note any changes. A little about me, I normally don't use body moisturizer. There really is no need for me as I don't get dry. What I do need help with, is back acne. AHA is apparently wonderful for light to moderate cases of back acne. I'm using this product for that sole purpose. For face, and back acne. I just purchased AmLactin this afternoon. I just washed my face as normal, toned with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and then slathered this on my upper back, tops of shoulders, and a pea sized amount on my face. Initially I didn't think this product smelled too bad. I sniffed it from the bottle and it basically smelled like a slightly medicated lotion. I'm used to those smells. However when you put it on your body, the smell changes DRASTICALLY. I REEK of ammonia. I actually smell like a hair salon when they're dyeing someone's hair. It's a heavy ammonia smell coming off of my skin. It's been 10 minutes and I don't notice it fading. I also feel extremely sticky and tacky. I'm really not enjoying how this lotion feels. I do notice it starting to sink in, but the initial few minutes made me feel really gross. On my face I have a few acne, some which are open. This STINGS on broken skin... badly. Fortunately it faded fast, but it absolutely woke me up. I'm going to use this lotion every day for the next week. I will be back on November 16th with an update. ***I know I said I'd be back in a week, but the results are so drastic after 8 hours of sleeping that I had to post. I had extreme flaking on my face due to harsh facial washes I was using. All flakes are gone. The acne break out I had along my jaw line, although still there, is noticeably cleared and much smaller. My cheeks are glowing, my pores appear smaller, my skin is even toned, smooth. I don't want to jinx it. But it's phenomenal so far. Also, it did not cause an irritation outbreak on my shoulders or back. That says something b/c EVERYTHING breaks out my shoulders and back.

***** OK so It's been a week and one day and I can say that I really like this cream. I'm still not a fan of the scent, I slather it all over my shoulders and back and face at night and in the morning I use it on my face under makeup. My face has been 100% flake free since using this. I had a horrendous outbreak on my back, after a week, it's gone. I'm left with some slight scarring but eventually it will fade. This cream has not broken my face or body out at all. If anything it's healed my face and has made it extremely smooth, even toned, and looks flawless with makeup on. I'm convinced it's keeping my back outbreaks at bay, and I love that my skin isn't reacting to it. Will continue to rebuy.

on 8/22/2011 9:11:00 PM

This former prescription-only lotion is great for dry skin and really helps speed up the exfoliating process. The fragrance is a strong ammonia like formula but it doesn't linger. It isn't too creamy and blends easily.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral

I bought this because I have KP and was hoping this would help me get rid of it. I have a mild/moderate case on my upper arms and mild on my upper thighs.
Unfortunately this did nothing for my KP. I bought the big bottle at Costco and I used it 1-2x everyday, for over a month. My KP is still there while the bottle is empty. I'm so disappointed, I really hope to find something to get rid of my KP.
It's ok as just a moisturizer. My skin is not very dry, so most body lotions are enough for me.

on 1/23/2011 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I bought this lotion hoping it would help decrease the ingrown hairs I get on the backs of my thighs (I know, random place for ingrowns). While I don't think it did much to decrease the ingrowns it did make my skin incredibley soft. The smell isn't very attractive but it fades pretty fast.

on 9/3/2010 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

this is one hell of a multi-tasking product! i initially bought this because ever since Paula's Choice stopped making their Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA, i've been floundering for something to use on the little bit of bumpiness (KP) on the backs of my arms. a long time ago i read on Paula's website that the only real way to treat KP was to use something with BHA/salicylic acid in it because it's the only acid that can actually absorb into a blocked pore and push the blockage out from the inside. for that reason, i never thought of trying anything with AHA's in it, because i thought they would only work on the outer layer of skin and not do anything for what was beneath the surface. out of desperation and after reading all the rave reviews i decided to take a chance and try this and I LOVE IT!!! it works very well on my KP, which is to say that it reduces the uneven texture of the skin by a good 75% (never found anything that completely clears it yet and probably never will). it leaves my skin smoother, softer, and lessens the KP bumps, leaving the ones that do crop up easier to get rid of with manual exfoliation. a lot of people use this on their face and say that it helps even skin tone and soothe redness and i desperately wanted to try that but was terrified to risk it because any time i've ever used any AHA's on my face i've been left with horrible red, rashy, itchy hives that last for a week or more. i decided to do a patch test and applied a small spot on my face for a few days with no reaction so i went for it and now i use it every single night! it has SIGNIFICANTLY lessened the redness i have on my cheeks and also helps to keep my skin smooth, but i must warn anyone with sensitive skin to start out slowly and use only the tiniest, tiniest bit of the lotion when applying to your face (and to use something else around the delicate skin surrounding your eyes). near the beginning of my usage i got a little too generous with my application and i did wake up to itchy, red skin. after i let it heal, i started back up on the Amlactin but made sure to only use a tiny amount (i'm talking half a pea-sized dot for my whole face) and have had no problems since. this is such a useful product for me because i can use it on my arms, face, feet and even legs when i want some gentle exfolation. you get a huge amount (7.9 oz.) for around $11 and the packaging is simple and effective, with the only room for improvement being the addition of a pump. the only con i really see with Amlactin is the fact that when first applied it leaves my skin kind of sticky and tacky, and my face shiny. this isn't really a problem for me because i use it at night and when i wake up in the morning, it has all absorbed and my skin is smooth and soft, but this definitely isn't something you could use on your face under makeup. i did consider taking away one lippie for the sticky feeling but i just don't feel it would be fair because the product is so great and only has this one fault. if you have reactive skin and have never been able to reap the benefits of using AHA's i would strongly recommend trying Amlactin and seeing if it could work for you (USED SPARINGLY!) like it has worked for me. this is definitely a product i'll always keep around.
*UPDATE* stopped using this for a few days, not for any particular reason, but just because i was feeling lazy and minimalist. very quickly i noticed that my skin was looking redder and more blotchy than usual... and the only thing that had changed was my skipping the nightly Amlactin. now i am 100% convinced that this noticeably helps the redness i have on my cheeks, and this is the only product i can confidently say that about. won't be forgetting to use this again!

Popular Lotions / Creams