Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

No Image

3.9

on 12/26/2004 5:04:00 AM

Soft, feminine perfume. Wished it lasted a little longer but so beautiful I still give it 5 lippies!

on 12/21/2004 11:04:00 PM

A beautiful, milky soft, vaugely powdery and almondy/heliotropic fragrance. Reminds me a little of Norma Kamali Baby, but a LOT of Krizia and Toni Gard -- same vaugue anise notes, same almondy/heliotrope base and same layer of watery floral blossoms on top -- only less marzipannish and with a cool iris accord. Pretty, sweet and feminine. I'd like to spend my winters with Mr. Elena. (Though I'd rather spend them with Ms. Gard for the $100+ price difference!)

on 12/16/2004 7:40:00 PM

A soft feminine gorgeous fragrance. I find this has a very innocent and almost baby-like quality to it. Other times, I get more of the white heliotrope sweetness. The overall feel is always the same.... its very comforting and very sexy. Almost angelic :)

on 11/29/2004 12:02:00 AM

Hmmm the only Malle fragrance I truly enjoyed.
Transparent luminous etheral fragrance, also reminds me more of early spring than winter.

on 11/11/2004 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

At first testing, I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with Eau d'Hiver, but I retested and retested. My final conclusion is that this is a very interesting perfume.
Jean Claude Ellena, it's creater, describes it as a light and transparent cologne, soft and comfortable, like warm water.
At first I thought it to similar to AG< Eau de Hadrien.
Now, I just see see it as a watery cologne, that opens with it's leomony bergamont. Switches into some of it's floral notes, and then dries into it's honey, caramel, and musk base.
It's watery, floral, and powdery all at the same time.
I'm still undecided if it's bottle worthy, although I keep coming back to retest it!

This is very nice indeed! soft, light floral scent, easy to wear, non pretentious, not too fem/girly and feels so natural.

on 10/20/2004 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This has an initial burst of cool winter(how did they do that?) that then develops into a powdery scent that smells very much like MK lipsticks. If that scent appeals to you then this fragrance is for you. I'll pass.

on 3/6/2004 4:42:00 PM

I agree with reviewers below that L'Eau d'Hiver differs in surprising ways from the rest of the FM line, which is not lacking in unique, soft scents (En Passant and Lipstick Rose comes to mind). I think the name of the fragrance is somewhat misleading, however, as the beauty of the fragrance only becomes evident (at least on my skin) in temperate, preferably sunny, weather. The mood of L'Eau d'Hiver's floral arrangement reminds me of En Passant very much, yet there is the softest presence of vanilla which imparts a feeling of warmth and comfort. Think Douce Amere without the bitterness of absinthe. The lasting power is fairly good, too, and it is the type of fragrance that I would feel comfortable wearing to events when a light scent would be most appropriate (lecture, meetings, etc.) Finally, I must express gratitude to my fragrance fairy, dragonfly00, for leading me to this precious scent.

on 2/28/2004 4:34:00 PM

This fragrance opens with flowers fresh and sweet in perfect balance. I felt a little let down in the latter phases. Although very nice and pleasant, the sweetness was the only thing left on me. I really like it, but think there are many things more suitable to my chemistry. Would be better if the dry down stayed as fresh as the opening notes. May wear it on occasion. Try before buy.

on 2/19/2004 10:30:00 AM

I liked Eau d'Hiver (thanks Imp) but could not get over the fact that its opening notes bear a strong resemblance to a fragrance I've smelled many times before, but do not own. This was a real head-scratcher because I couldn't remember which one. A Demeter? I seem to recall dropping about 12 Demeters on the hard tile floor of my bathroom. Could it have been one of those (RIP)? In any case, the accord in question is cool, faintly aquatic, and very slightly bitter, a little like unsweetened anise. This accord sits atop softer floral and musk notes. Then -- here comes the real fun -- the drydown is where the violet comes through, not sweet violet but faintly licorice-like, similar to violet pastilles. The whole composition really is unique -- uh, except for that fact that it's so similar to another fragrance I've tested again and again. What I mean is it's unique within the FM line. Staying power is quite good on my skin. UPDATE: I finally figured it out. The drydown of Diesel Plus Plus Feminine is, on my skin anyway, a virtual dead ringer for FM Eau d'Hiver. I must do some research to find out if they share similar notes.