Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver

No Image

3.9

on 3/10/2005 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Wow. This one was really cozy and soft, unique and lovely, and perfect for winter. I can smell some heliotrope in it, but it is also slighty spicy, slightly powdery, yet overall, it is very gentle. Musk is present, but this musk is tolerable because it's smooth and light. A beautiful scent!!

on 3/8/2005 4:29:00 PM

Starts off with an unpleasant bitter, almost metalic note that made me nervous as I had purchased this "unsniffed". Thankfully after about ten minutes the gorgeous heliotrope breaks through to save the day and it dries to a soft, creamy caramel. Gorgeous and light, perfect for these cool Spring days.

on 3/4/2005 2:34:00 PM

This is so delectable, I received this as an extra and I've fallen in love completely with it. Its a very gentle fragrance, the combination of heliotrope and honey really softens this scent. I absolutely love water scent and this is no exceptation, I will be ordering a full bottle of this as soon as I can :)

on 2/28/2005 11:56:00 AM

L'eau d'Hiver, translated as Winter Water, is a fascinating and hauntingly beautiful and complex scent- "art in liquid form." It sounds a bit much, but truly, it's a really different scent, and one that keeps me sniffing my wrists throughout its too short stay on my skin. It's one of those chameleon scents that changes with the pH, the weather, the amount applied, etc. I love it's initial green-herbal notes that remind me of a winter forest, with snow sitting peacefully on tree branches. As the scent warms up to the skin, notes of heliotrope and caramel-musk quietly come through, but in a very light and unobtrusive way, nothing really foody about this scent. Just gorgeous sweet notes mingling with herbal notes and the slight powderiness of the heliotrope and the iris. It isn't too strong at all and becomes quite a whispering skin scent after about 10 minutes on my skin. It's one of those addictive scents in my collection that I keep wanting to smell even when I'm not wearing it. Beautiful composition. Gorgeous, just gorgeous stuff from perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena. The best scent in the Frederic Malle line, I dare say.

I consider d'Hiver to be a very quiet scent. I typically wear this when I'm going to be around people who I know aren't perfume fans. I get baby soft heliotrope from this and feel beautiful when I wear it. If you like soft scents like Lea St. Barth you'll like d'Hiver too.

on 2/24/2005 1:24:00 PM

This has grown on me in a big way! Wish it lasted longer.
Others have described it very well. I'm also reminded a bit of Apres L'Ondee--but this is very modern and hip in comparison. I enjoy the bitter-herbal edge in the top notes and the way the cool florals are softly sweetened by (non-foody) caramel and musk. It goes flat after only a couple of hours, though. UPDATE: the base notes are more complex than a little test-dab would seem to indicate. In spite of the white musk, which often smells a bit like rubbing alcohol, this fragrance has won me over completely. The odd coolness of the musk adds to the "winter chill" effect, anyway.

on 2/23/2005 11:46:00 PM

Hoorah! I have found a Frederic Malle for me, something I didn't think possible! After a dry, almost citrusy but not quite, very "leathery" start it quickly becomes seriously soft and snuggly, very heliotrope ... warms to the skin perfectly over time with just the slightest twinge of perfectly balanced flowers. Ultimately it is baby soft and gently powdery. Very feminine and possibly the best heliotrope I have ever used. continued >>

on 2/17/2005 10:16:00 PM

It's official! Jean Claude Ellena is one of my favourite perfumeurs!!

His work here is so complex and beautiful that it transcends all trends and fads. It is pure snow and ice , which could be fab in summer actually for all those people who don't like marines and fruity frags , just like me!

There is a tartness and sourness in the top notes that never becomes unpleasant and a slightly bitter stage that quickly dissipates , a metallic tone. The iris perhaps? Then a little caramel. I don't detect too much nor too sweet heliotrope and I am glad for that cause it's a note that I don't like , can only take it in minute amounts. ( Etro Heliotrope for example is not for me...)

Very light, very liquid in feeling and very transparent, almost a skin scent , I am afraid it will disappear soon in the warm weather for which it is destined , but will have to test again in those conditions to really be sure. Will return...

The perfume guy at Barney's recommended this, saying that it was his favorite of the FM's. And guess what? It's by far my favorite Malle too (of the ones I've tried so far). Quite herbal with the bergamot & angelica at first, but then it softens with the drydown--sweet, delicate, and gently floral (the iris shines here like nowhere else, and the lovely violet is also a star), with that yummy caramel note. Thankfully I get no licorice (yuck). It's interesting that another reviewer mentioned SL Douce Amere; Eau d'Hiver is somehow reminiscent of it, but much, much softer and more pleasant. The drydown also reminds me of Guerlain Apres L'Ondee. This one is chilly, in a good way. Gorgeous. I'd definitely purchase it.

I am not fond of light or watery fragrances, because with my lizard-like metabolism (Cold hands, warm heart--that's me!), they tend to smell like NOTHING. That's why I waited so long to try Eau d'Hiver, even though I am a big Malle fan, and even though I adore the rather watery En Passant, and even somewhat like the EXTREMELY watery Angeliques Sous La Plouie, even though it smells mostly like NOTHING with a hint of angeliques added to it. I have just this day finally tried Eau d'Hiver, and I'm impressed and amazed. This is going to be a fun one to get to know. It's so light, so barren, wintery and WHITE! Yet it's 4 feet deep! How can something so thin be so complex? How did they do it? I'm truly astounded.

Others have mentioned the notes already, but I can't pass up the opportunity to rave about them myself. It opened with a muted bergamot tinged with angelique. Then the heliotrope note came to bloom. I have never liked heliotrope before, but in this scent, it is so soft... It is a big part of the winteriness. The heliotrope is blended with iris (which I'm not usually crazy about as a note, either), which is the perfect foil to keep the heliotrope from getting too rich and foody. The iris also lends a coldness to Eau d'Hiver. After awhile, lightly honeyed violet emerged. As time went by, a subtle caramel also was present. The entire time, the perfume remained muted and soft, very much a skin scent, and yet not SO quiet that I needed to press my nose to my wrist to detect. Every so often it would "waft" up to me on tiptoes. It had decent staying power, too.

I really dislike caramel and honey fragrances, but these notes are used to genius effect in Eau d'Hiver.

Brilliant. Love the way the notes pass like clouds and re-blend together. I am looking forward to getting to know this fragrance better. Fortunately I have a whole 1/8 oz instead of just a sample vial!