Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

on 3/26/2009 11:10:00 AM

It's surprising and refreshing to see so many good reviews of this natural and cheap product. When my son was just a few months old he had a diaper rash that I just couldn't heal despite using desitin cream, powders, letting him wear no diaper, and even visiting the pediatrician. My grandmother told me to just use Vaseline after each change. Overnight his diaper rash healed! When I told my doctor and mother in law they both strongly disapproved and said Vaseline is dangerous. Well, it worked and he never got diaper rash again. It just took a small amount on his behind after each change to keep him protected from chafing and rash.

It's also great for lips, elbows, and knees. I'll have to try the other uses mentioned here.

I always have this around. It works and it's cheap and it doesn't clog pores. Pretty much same as Aquaphor but much cheaper. I use both.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Besides all our favorite uses for Vaseline- I found a new trick and had to SHARE! I learned from Allthatglitters on youtube that she puts vaseline on her feet before putting on high heels and it prevents blistering!

As a heel-aholic, I had to try this out. It totally works! I started putting vaseline on the back of my ankles, sides of my feet or anywhere your shoes would start hurting towards the end of the night. NO soreness or blisters!

Try it! :)

on 3/25/2009 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

As everybody below mentioned, Vaseline is a MUST HAVE in your life. You can use it for everything. It has never clogged my pores or caused me to break out in anyway. This is probably as gentle of a product as they come. I use it to remove eye makeup, use on chapped lips, use as a lip exfoliant (just take a bit and put it on your lips, then use an old toothbrush and rub it across your lips, NOT too roughly of course), on my knees/elbows, onto nails if my cuticles are feeling a bit dry and rough, over healing cuts/injuries especially if I'm going to get sand or water on it.. etc etc.. there's tons of other ways to use this! I think we all take this product for granted, including me but writing this made me realize how much I actually depend on it! :)

UPDATE: I also use this, now, on my lashes twice a week overnight. I apply a bit to my lashes to let them "grow out" faster, if that makes sense. It also keeps my lashes feeling strong and not brittle!

on 3/17/2009 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Vaseline is alway handy to have around. You can use it for a lot of things. You can use it on chapped lips and you can remove your make-up with it, and that are just two of many examples.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I've used eye makeup remover by all different brands, even department store brands like Clinique and Lancome, and none of them beat Vaseline. I use this every day to get off every last bit of my eye makeup. It doesn't irritate and it works like a charm. Can't be without it (I even have a little mini for when I travel!)

on 3/15/2009 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Staple, holy grail, go-to...this product is all of that and more. I realized a couple months ago that the lotions I was using were causing me to dry out more because the first ingrediient in most of them is WATER. It is nice to wear a nicely fragranced lotion or cream, but for true moisture protection Vaseline cannot be beat. It traps moisture into the skin rather than causing moisture to evaporate. All of the people I know with beautiful, line-free, wrinkle-free skin use vaseline on their faces, not overpriced creams with mysterious ingredients. This product does not clog my skin (although I would never use it on my nose), I think women would be so surprised at how good their skin would look if they slept in this for a few nights. It is also EXCELLENT for keepin hands, nails, and cuticles beautiful and keeps feet soft as well as keeping pedicures fresher, longer. If I want to use a nicely scented lotion, I use the Vaseline first and then put lotion or perfume over it which causes the scent to linger longer.

on 3/10/2009 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Vaseline is truly a HG product. As many reviewers have noted, it is dirt cheap and your imagination is probably the only limit on the number of uses. It never irritates, and is flat out the all-time best moisturizer for truly dry skin. For face moisturizing, I'd only use it on eye area and lips, but I've also used it as a hair-gloss/balm, as a m/u remover, for dry cuticles/finger tips, feet, rashes, scrapes, etc. The only down side is that on areas where your skin is already oily enough or tends to clog (ex: face, chest, back on people w/ oily skin) vaseline can exacerbate the clogging. Nothing beats this stuff for preventing moisture loss, though. I've tried "unpetroleum jelly," a natural alternative to petroleum jelly, and while that stuff is good, plain old vaseline / petroleum jelly still does a better job IMHO. I only wish more sellers would offer it in squeeze tubes, as I find tubs/jars kind of gross. If you get this in travel sizes you can sometimes find it in tubes, but if you want a large container you are stuck w/ tubs/jars. I once e-mailed some company asking for tubes, and they advised "using proper hygiene." Like I go around playing in mud and then sticking my fingers in the jar. Squeeze tubes are still cleaner, even if you wash your hands!!!!!

on 3/6/2009 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a must have just because it's so versatile! I used to have sandpaper-rough elbows and I had always wonder how come my mother has softer elbows that I did. And guess what? She uses vaseline! While it softens my elbows I also apply a thick layer onto my lips let it stay overnight which keeps my lips soft and moisturized. As for its ability to take off makeup, pretty good, except it's kind of messy. Well, if you temporarily out of makeup remover, give it a try. Do use a cleanser after that tho.

I have to agree with all the MUA ladies on this product. It is truly one of the most essential and versatile products in my bathroom. I use it for dry or chapped skin, makeup removal (especially the waterproof stuff), removal of false eyelashes, lip gloss, protect my skin when I'm colouring my hair. I could list a lot more I'm sure. It is soooo cheap, especially drug store brands/versions.