Biologique Recherche Exfoliating Lotion P50

Biologique Recherche Exfoliating Lotion P50
Exfoliating Lotion P50Enter TitleEnter TitleEnter Title

4.2

Purified water (Aqua), Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Usnic Acid, Witch Hazel extract (Hamamelis Virginiana), Myrrh extract (Commiphora Myrrha), Myrtle extract (Mytrus Communis), Onion extract (Allium Cepa), Sage extract (Salvia Hispanica), Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80 (&) Sulphur, Phenol (banned in some countries so absent in the product there).

on 3/4/2016 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

**UPDATE Oct. 2016: P50 has changed my skin, and my confidence, for the better. Took me nearly a year to finish the full size bottle.**

Every online review of this acid toner that I read was, frankly, absurd. Breakouts were banished never to be heard from again! Marks and scars faded faster than the speed of sound! Tone and texture as even as a freshly paved road! Jesus wept.

After much internal deliberation and cursory SCB searches, in January 2015 I bought P50 1970 original (with phenol) for $60something from Rescue Spa. I carefully and cautiously followed the most sage tips and tricks from devotees I could find, even if a lot of it was contradictory.

"Use 1-2 drops on a damp cotton round."
"Cotton rounds soak up too much product, and often leave fuzzies behind. Try Shiseido's cotton whatchamacallits instead."
"Screw Shiseido, fingers are the way to be!"
"Pouring the toner into the palm of your hands is messy and wastes product (and $$$)."
"Your skin will purge, it's part of the process."
"Don't use it everyday!"
"It's best to use everyday, at nighttime only."
"Don't use any actives until your skin is adjusted."
"Pat, DO NOT RUB"
"I apply after Vitamin C and before retinol for best results"
"Your skin shouldn't purge, and if it is, you're not reacting well to it. I urge you to stop."

Sometimes I used too much, and my skin immediately hated me for it (i.e. red, itchy, briefly painful, red bumps...). Other times I didn't use enough and was all, WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I MISSING! DO I NEED TO OFFER UP MY FIRST BORN?

I gave it a good six weeks before throwing in the towel.

Until three months ago, January 2016, when hormonal acne struck with a vengeance. The cysts were growing bigger and more painful by the minute. Several whiteheads joined the pity party by late evening. I tried every item in my arsenal, sparing only the bottle of P50 and a stray piece of gauze found in the depths of my medicine cabinet. Desperate times. I gave it whirl and promptly went to bed.

And ohmygod. Literally overnight, the three tenderest musketeers firmly situated on and along my chin were no longer red, throbbing or visible to the naked eye. No trace of whiteheads having ever been on my face. I looked like an Amazonian princess whose delicate features belie her warrior strength..or something like that.

Since then, gauze has been my godsend. Preferably squares folded in half. I use exactly 4 drops, one-and-done swiped all over my face and neck. Every other day, at nighttime usually.

Gauze. It's the easiest, most cost effective, most efficient way to apply P50. I have no idea why.

But now I understand the hype. P50 really is on a whole 'nother level. It will clear your skin. It will fade PIH. You'll see inside your pores for the first time in a decade. You will want to touch your softer-than-a-baby's-bottom face more times than is sanitary. People will tell your ex how "miraculously good" your skin looks since you dumped him (true story).

I advise giving P50, whatever version you choose, the Goldilocks treatment. Don't be afraid to experiment. Find out how much you should apply. Figure out what method of application works for you without wasting product, time, or money (in that order). Learn how often you should consistently use it. Practice patience (it's a virtue I hear). Get things just right.

And if all else fails, try gauze.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

*This review is for the P50 (without Phenol) version*

I made an account just to review this stuff because I am FULLY convinced this is the greatest thing out there (along with proper cleansing of course). I started having hormonal cystic acne breakouts a few years ago (I am 36, so wtf face?) after changing my birth control. I've taken Spironolactone for nearly that long to help control it, with varying degrees of success. Regular microdermabrasion/mini peels/extractions etc at my dermatologist, which helped a bit. Non-smoker and eat pretty healthy/drink tons of water so it was brutal watching my skin go dull and patchy with large cysts/breakouts. Have the terrible habit of scratching my skin, even in my sleep - so very often my poor skin won't even heal correctly after the cyst cycles... Le sigh.

I definitely rotated through a ton of products, trying to manage it but nothing ever REALLY worked 100%. My derm finally talked me into a much stronger peel than usual a while back and I was left with a large swath of milia on my chin and jaw as a result. Brutal :(

Long story short: I stumbled across P50 discussion in a comments section, which led me to a few great blogs and then finally to the absolutely amazing Caroline Hirons. I had already ordered it when I started reading her blogs on proper cleansing, so it came just at the right time.

I've been using the P50 lotion w/o Phenol for only 2 weeks and following Caroline Hirons cleansing routine to the letter and I am beyond thrilled with the results. I have only seen minor/tiny whitehead type of purge pimples. I haven't had any actual cysts in the past 2 weeks (other than the ones that were already there and are healing/gone now). My skin is looking and feeling the best it has since I was in my 20s. The milia from the peel has stared to subside, quickly! And full disclosure: I had forgotten to take a few of my daily RX on schedule and still haven't seen any new eruptions like I normally would. I did add a hydrating mist in on day 6 or so, because I noticed a few dry patches. They disappeared pretty quickly after that.

It has only been two weeks so I guess I should reserve full judgement for a while but I can't remember the last time I went 2 weeks with my face looking this clear and even toned. Even late at night I can touch my skin and it feels SOFT again. WHUT.
Highly recommend if you are into following a routine that will allow this to work properly. Good luck :)

What I'm using
AM Cleanser: Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip or Cetaphil or BR Lait U
PM Cleansers: Dermatologica Pre Cleanse Oil, Ole Henricksen Melting Gelee, Eve Lom Cleanser and then second cleanse with any of the above AM Cleansers
Acid Toner: P50, like duh
Hydrating Mist: Tata Harper or LRP Thermal Water
Serum: Ole Henricksen Vit C, 2 of the Caudalie line, Tata Harper
Moisturizers: Sunday Riley Bionic, La Solution 10 de Chanel, Embryolisse, Tata Harper

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really wanted to try this product and saved up for it. It's super super expensive, but I was really motivated by the rave reviews. unfortunately, something just doesn't work well for me. For the background, I have dry, sensitive, blemish-free, rosacea-prone (only on my cheeks) skin. this just irritates my skin. I use the Paula's choice 8% AHA and 2% BHA without issues. I also use a 25% mandelic acid peel from MUAC and occasionally a tretinoin cream. But this toner really irritates me. I have to use it super sparingly and rarely or my skin is unhappy. When i do use it, I can't say that I see any difference :(

2-18-16:
So I started using this based on the endless praise I've seen in every direction. One blogger stated that she had been breaking out for 2 months before her skin got better. I'm using the new reformulated Lotion P50 (why the heck is it referred to as a lotion when it's a liquid?)
It's weird, because this stuff stings and burns, but it isn't drying my face out like I thought it would. There's definitely some dryness but not as severe as I thought. And yeah, I'm having the purge. I'm only using this on my cheek/jawline area since that's where the majority of my breakouts are anyway. Everything is cropping up, but it's weird because these zits come up, and I either pop them or they just go away on their own, and it's a lot faster healing now. I didn't 'ease' this into my routine. I mean I started using it every other night, but the breakouts happened so rapidly I thought f*ck it, I'll just start using it every night. It's more or less a new zit in a different part every day, but to me, that tells me that this is working. I want EVERYTHING to be expelled.

The sting is very similar to how apple cider vinegar feels on your skin, or like a chemical peel. Stinging/burning feel (kinda itchy too), and then it's done. I don't use a cotton pad because I'd end up with cotton bits on my face, so what I do is I pour some in my palm, and use my index finger to just pat it around. I wash my hands prior, of course. The only thing I don't like is that it's kinda sticky on my face.

So right now, my routine:

Morning: Wash face with water, put my Sanitas Skin Care Vitamin C moisturizer on, then put my Clarin's SPF 30 moisturizer on

Night: Wash my face with Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Gel Wash, dry my face, put on the P50, wait about 10-15 minutes, then follow up with my Sanitas. I'm thinking of adding a serum thing to give my skin some extra moisture. I was looking to get Josie Maran's Argan Milk or whatever. I will keep you all updated.

EDIT: *5-6-16*

Yeah, eff this stuff. As with some of the other people here, my skin never got better. It was just more inflamed acne after the other, my skin was tight and irritated, and my face just looked bad, like bad enough where I avoided looking in mirrors.. I'm really skeptical on the whole 'purge' thing. I used this crap for two months straight, every single night. And I saw none of the magical benefits that it claimed.

I switched to Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid and *immediately* my skin started clearing up. So I don't know....if something is causing acne, especially if it's not prescription or anything, it shouldn't be causing acne. I feel like people love the idea of "Just give it time!" "It gets worse before it gets better!" and honestly, with all of the skincare products I've used, that has never, ever been true for me. So yeah. Obviously ymmv, and if you try it, get the sample size.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So I'm not sure where to begin with this product. It came highly recommend by a family member who's skin seemed to glow as of late and I was looking for a new product to bring to my routine as I'm getting married in a few months so I wanted my skin to be top notch. I saw the amount of raving reviews and knew I had to have it.

Warning for all those who have never used acids before, don't make the same mistake I did. I went full force and began using the product morning and evening without running my cotton pad with water. By the end of week 1 I had called the spa from which I purchased it three times asking if the irritation I was experiencing was normal. They all said the same thing and told me to continue using the product for an additional three weeks and buy the Vivant masque (review on that coming soon) to subside the "purge". My skin was so itchy, it was dry, it had broken out in placed I never even knew possible and worse of all, I felt as though my dark spots were being brought to light instead of fading. It was the worst experience with a skin product. EVER.

With that being said walking into week three my "purge" phase had finally died down. I still happen to have about 2-3 zits on my forehead but overall my skin did look clearer. My dark spots/redness on my cheeks continue to look the same, pores still bigger than ever and I still continue to break out occasionally. Since I am only week 4 into using this product, and I paid top dollar for it, I will continue to use until I run out and give an updated review if necessary but for now, I don't know what the rave is all about. I've seen better results with Kiehl's

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I purchased the "Original", which contains Phenol. I bought this product after reading a blog called "Skin&Tonics" and falling in love with Kerry's skincare routine. I really loved this stuff. I could only afford to buy the tiny travel size and I could only find one online retailer for it. I loved the tingle, the smell and the results. It made my skin brighter and really did help with breakouts (though not as much as my Curology prescription). I haven't repurchased simply because of price and availability. I would buy this again someday if I had $80 burning a hole in my pocket.

on 1/18/2016 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I came upon reviews for this toner a few weeks ago while looking for God knows what online. I was intrigued, bookmarked the reviews but didn't think too much about it. There are tens of thousands of reviews about skin care products that bloggers claim will change your skin, so I've learned to take most reviews with a barrel of salt. However, a lot of the bloggers who reviewed this toner included before and after pictures. The after pictures were nothing short of amazing. Then I got to looking at my skin. In a nutshell, it was crap. At 37, I'm still battling acne like a teenager and with that comes the brown marks that stay forever and a day. I also had some clarity issues and just general sallowness. I also have large pores on my nose and my nose in general is suddenly oil city. In short, I'm a perfect candidate for any kind of product that changes skin for the better. After reading and re-reading the rave reviews ("Jesus in a bottle!"), I finally decided to buy this. It wasn't an easy decision as I've been disappointed by hyped up products, and this product just so happens to be expensive. VERY expensive.

So, cut to two weeks ago. I ordered the 1970 formula (with phenol) in the 5.1 oz bottle (the second largest size) from Shop Rescue Spa for about $61 (I also bought the Masque Vivant which I'll review later). The thing about P50 is that it is hard to find. Only a few select spas sell it Stateside and even then you have to sign up on their site to view the prices. About a week later, I got my products in the mail. The first thing I did was sniff it to see if the smell was a terrible as nearly everyone said it is. I can confirm that it isn't pleasant smelling. It's very medicinal (think a surgical room) and not even close to approaching what most toners smell like. The bottle itself is plastic with sort of cheapish, dated graphics. At first glance, you wouldn't think this was an expensive luxury product. No matter, I transferred the product to my nifty Sephora Twist and Spout container so none of the toner was wasted. The bottle this comes in requires you to shake it on a cotton pad or your hands which I feel is a bit wasteful.

The first night I used this, the smell was a bit overwhelming but tolerable enough. The phenol version smells like the old throat spray Chloraseptic. I find that the smell fades relatively quickly and I don't think it's near as bad as some people make it out to be. Upon applying it after cleansing, I felt a slight tingle and burning/numbing sensation but nothing painful or intolerable. My skin didn't turn red despite this fact that the P50 1970 formula is considered a bit more harsh. I could see this toner being an issue if you have sensitive skin or you don't tolerate acids well, but I have strange alligator skin that tends to handle harsh products well for the most part. The instructions advise that you use a cotton pad dampened with water once a day until your skin gets used to it. I didn't do this as my skin is pretty tough and I wanted to jump right in, but it's likely good advice for most people. At the time I applied this, I had a huge cyst on the bottom of my jawline that would not go away. It just kept producing a lovely blemish and refused to leave. I also had a blemish near it that was proving as stubborn as the cyst. After applying the toner and allowing it to dry, I continued with the rest of my nighttime skin care routine and went to sleep. The next morning, I was slightly shocked to see that blemish I had was all dried up and the cyst felt significantly smaller. A few days after that, the cyst continued to shrink while the blemish was sort of flaky but was no longer raised. While washing my face that morning, a piece of skin over the blemish sort of popped off (ew, I know) leaving a very light brown mark. Since that time, all the brown marks on my face have continued to become significantly lighter. That's pretty miraculous as even acid peels didn't give that kind of result in such a short amount of time.

The other thing I noticed is that my skin is downright glowy. Seriously! I caught a glimpse of myself in sunshine, the true test of "Is this working?!?", and my skin looked great! Yeah, I still have brown marks, but they're quickly fading and the clarity of my skin has improved greatly. That's amazing as I've never had a product do that. I've been using this for the past three weeks or so, twice a day, and still have a large amount left. This can easily last three months even with twice a day usage. I would recommend investing in decent cotton pads to apply this as you don't want cheap pads that soak up more product forcing you to use more. Some people apply this with their palms to avoid waste, but I feel like I would end up spilling it because I'm clumsy.

So does P50 live up to the hype? Absolutely! I only wish I would have found this sooner because it's just that good. The price tag is scary, but I think it's justified. One medium sized bottle lasts a fair amount of time and it works! If you're on the fence about it, try to travel size first, but do try it. You'll get used to the smell because the results are amazing!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is magic in a bottle. Don't know why I try other things, but I do because I get bored easily. This, together with the O2 cleanser and Depurificante or Placenta moisturizer is magic.

If you have troubled skin, and nothing else works, try this. Make sure you get the original 1970 formula.

on 12/20/2015 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

P50 reformulated version, which IMO contains more and better skin actives.
I was using this simply as the anti-aging acid in my routine, to even out skintone and keep flakes from Retin-a at bay. I do like it, it works somewhat well for me at evening skin tone and the ingredients are great. But it’s not a miracle worker. I get results just as good, or better, from MUAC Mandelic Acid 25%, which is lot cheaper. I don’t have acne or oily skin and problems with my pores. Perhaps if you do, this would be a lot more stupendous at clearing the skin.

It is actually is pretty moisturizing for me, with the glycerine added. I would rotate this nightly with my Retin-a and I was very satisfied with it. Unlike other acids, it didn't leave my skin flaky and dry. Adding it to my routine, in conjunction with Retin-a really helped change my overall skin tone, texture and glow.

BUT - At $90 a bottle, I find it very expensive when compared to MUAC home peels. In the last few months, I've actually seen better results with using the 25% Mandelic acid peel twice a week than what I experienced using P50 3-4 times a week.
The Mandelic is more drying, but also it's stronger and causes a more rapid cell turnover effect for me. This leads to a brighter and more even tone and texture. I see a tighter, clearer tone. The only downside to using the Mandelic peel is that I have to moisturize more. But my skin looks better, so I don't mind.

I'm not saying P50 doesn't work, it's a great, light acid toner that has proven, awesome ingredients. But for my money I prefer the MUAC Mandelic acid hands down.
I still use the P50 here and there, but when I repurchase an acid, it'll be Mandelic.
Try it and see for yourself.

on 11/23/2015 3:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I don’t usually have what people would call “problem skin”. I have a slightly oily t-zone, slightly dry cheeks and get the occasional hormonal breakout, but it's all very manageable. Most days I feel completely comfortable leaving the house makeup free, but that changed this month when my skin went haywire. All of a sudden my skin was broken out and congested in areas where I've never had issues before. I have no idea what caused it, but I hoped P50 would clear it up.

First Reaction (days 1-5): I purchased the 1970 version and was admittedly a bit apprehensive about "the burn" everyone mentions when they talk about this product. I shouldn't have been. It was far more tolerable that some of the home acid peels I have done in the past. After applying the lotion the first night, I went to bed hoping for a miracle and awoke pleasantly surprised. After one application, it had eliminated close to 50% of the blackheads on my nose and greatly reduced most of the papules on my cheeks and forehead. In the days that followed all of my blackheads disappeared along with 95% of my other acne and my pores appear to be shrinking as well. I still have some minor congestion on my chin which is slowly starting to clear up. Prior to using P50, I worried that my naturally dry areas would become flakey but so far that hasn't been an issue.

Since it has only been 5 days I'm not ready to declare this an HG product just yet, but I will try to remember to update my review in a few weeks.