Biologique Recherche Exfoliating Lotion P50

Biologique Recherche Exfoliating Lotion P50
Exfoliating Lotion P50Enter TitleEnter TitleEnter Title

4.2

Purified water (Aqua), Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Usnic Acid, Witch Hazel extract (Hamamelis Virginiana), Myrrh extract (Commiphora Myrrha), Myrtle extract (Mytrus Communis), Onion extract (Allium Cepa), Sage extract (Salvia Hispanica), Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80 (&) Sulphur, Phenol (banned in some countries so absent in the product there).

This is the best exfoliating toner I've ever used. It's expensive, it's smelly, and it totally works. I'm not a newbie to chemical exfoliation and have used a variety of AHA's and BHA's over the years from the affordable to the expensive (Paula's Choice to Peter Thomas Roth and Dr Dennis Gross). I always come back to this because nothing shrinks the pores and gives me quite as luscious a glow as this. It's strong, so you have to take it slow working up to using daily. Worth every penny.

on 8/26/2016 4:07:00 PM

Biologique Recherche--Could it be? Products that actually live up to the hype and cult-like status?
Finally, yes, skincare that lives up to all its accolades. I recently clawed my way out of the trenches of having three toddlers at the same time and have a little more time and energy to look at beauty blogs and videos. And to find out that I now know nothing about new products or better ways for products to work together. Luckily, I did find a few beauty bloggers who I trusted for knowledgeable and honest advice. Biologique Recherche's Lotion P50 (Original 1970 version) and Masque Vivant were mentioned over and over again. BR pretty much has an international cult-like following for being amazingly effective, but adding to the mystique, there are only a few places in the US that you can order it from. The products aren't cheap, but with all the good reviews and rapidly approaching 42, I bit the bullet and ordered a few items from The Rescue Spa. Along with Lotion P50 (1970), I got the Creme Dermopurifiante and the Masque Vivant. In product reviews on site after site, there were quite a few (okay, a lot) of people who said that the products smelled really odd, and they do. It reminds me of when my dad brewed his own beer. If there are any Washington, DC people reading this, it smells like the 9:30 club circa 1992. So they do smell strange, but they really really work, better and faster than anything I've every used. Just in the first 3 days I used it, I got 4 compliments. Not sure my husband is too thrilled by the scent judging by the look on his face when I told him to smell it, but he did say, "wow, your skin looks good today" before I told him I had tried something new.

on 8/19/2016 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nothing really changed, didn't purge, had the glow, pores stayed same, hate the smell, decent acid, but was it worth the hype?

on 8/18/2016 5:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I was so excited to try this brand ...

But, every product so far ... No, no, NO!

For my skin type, that is.

If this product wreaks havoc on your complexion, find someone who can love it and benefit from it (from the many glowing reviews - these people are out there!) - give it to them and buy yourself Paula's Choice Resist 2% BHA.

Everyone is different, but for me - the gentler the better.

This product burnt my skin and turned it bright pink.

I tried using it on several occasions varying cleanser types/wait times and each time - pain and irritation.

on 8/18/2016 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

8.18.16: Why can't I have nice things?? Why can't this miracle product that everyone raves about work for me? I got greedy. My skin was actually looking halfway decent and I had to go and try and make it perfect. Now it's ruined for at least the next few months. I must come to terms with the fact that I will never have perfect skin. I just won't. And this was not a miracle for me. It was a fucking curse. I have 5 new ENORMOUS cystic pimples on my cheeks and lip. My cheeks haven't broken out in at least a year. I had them looking ok. Now I have to wait out these ugly red angry monsters. They don't even have a head to them. They're just red and sore and ugly. This sucks. Test it out before you slop it all over your face like my dumb ass did. I get excited with new products. Especially those called "Jesus in a bottle." I expected a purge, but there is no fucking way I'm putting up with anymore cystic pimples like these. I can't. I don't even want to look in the mirror. This REALLY sucks. For those of you who love it, I'm happy. But for those of us with finicky skin, the search for "Jesus in a bottle" continues, because he sure as hell wasn't in there for me.

UPDATE 8.25.16: Alright. I've given this stuff a little time. I was a bit overwhelmed when I wrote my first review because my face looked like shit. I've been using it for almost 2 weeks now. I started off too strong, I think. I figured since I already use acids regularly, I could just use this full strength, and I don't recommend that to anyone. Start slowly. Wet a cotton pad and apply your P50 to that to dilute it a bit. After writing my previous review, I took a day off, and wrote an email to customer service at Rescue Spa where I ordered from. They responded fairly quickly with very detailed tips. I will admit I didn't follow directions 100%, because the Biologique Recherche line is stupid expensive and I spend enough money on skincare as it is. I kept using my P50 day and night on a wet cotton pad as suggested, and a lot of these huge pimples have started to go down. NexCare acne absorbing covers have been a lifesaver with these spots. (Seriously, if you've never tried them, they are fantastic for absorbing the goo outta your faceholes overnight, and super cheap!)

The reason I gave this a second chance was because my skin, where NOT broken out, looks good. Like, really good. I can see a glow in there, trying SO hard to break through. I am glad I didn't give up. I will update again in another few weeks. Hopefully my rating on this product will eventually make it all the way to 5 lippies.

UPDATE 9.19.16: Nope. The glow was a figment of my imagination. The purging slowed, but I saw little improvement. I now have many new spots of hyperpigmentation to get rid of. I tried really hard to like this, and I used it as directed, slowly upping the strength by lowering how much I diluted with water. This product just isn't good for me. Back to my cosRX blackhead power liquid. Much cheaper and better results for me!!

Beware: This is overpriced onion water!

on 7/5/2016 7:24:00 AM

I have combination skin. I don't really have a problem with breakouts but I started noticing fine lines and dullness this past year. I started researching skin care and I came upon the P50 lotion 1970 version. It's not really a lotion, it's an acid toner. I use this in my daytime routine. I wash my face, then apply this toner. Once my skin is dry, I go in with my CoQ 10 toner and serums and oils. My skin has never looked better. This toner smells horrible. It smells like chloraseptic throat spray. My skin did not burn with this but in some areas it tingled. I didn't get any redness either after application. The smell does dissipate. I now think of skincare like medicine and it's not supposed to smell good. I would rather a company spend money on high quality ingredients than fragrance. This toner works well to eat away all the dead skin and prep my skin to absorb all the good oils and lotions I put on it. My makeup lays better now. I use half the foundation I used to. I also had two large deep pimples on my face that disappeared 2 days after using this. It is expensive and I bought mine on rescue spa. You only need a small amount. I use the shiesedo cotton squares because they hold onto less product. A cotton ball would eat up too much of this product.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This product is nothing short of amazing. I used to use Differin to prevent clogged pores, but once I added this to my regimen, I quit Differin. The smell is horrid. It smells like vinegar, but it works so so well! I think every woman should have this in her makeup cabinet.

I first came upon this product when I was browsing through the Into the Gloss website. I noticed that almost every model, beauty blogger, and makeup artist had this in their routine. I knew I had to try it. I'm so glad I did. I buy the smallest bottle and use it every other day or every 2 days. It works best for me that way.

It stinks so bad, but it's oh so worth it. Buy it now!

This product really is amazing! I bought the large bottle and used it up in two months because I also used some on my legs. After two months, my pores are very small, acne post redness has faded, my skin is brighter, two white marks on my cheeks have faded and now are mostly even with the rest of my complexion, and two small blemishes cleared up very quickly. I used it at first with the lait u cleanser but I ended up not liking it. The lait u cleanser didnt break me out though but I like a stronger cleanser like Cetaphil Daily. Also lotion p50 didn't break me out all and I didn't "purge," like some people do. The smell never bothered me and I actually like the smell, I guess because I associate it with good skin. The instructions say to use it after cleansing, twice a day but I ended up using it only at night before sleeping. I only used at night because after I use it my face gets a little red/pinkish and it makes me look a bit shiny. So this one of those products that the skin looks better after you use for a while, not while you have it on your face.

on 5/22/2016 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

I ordered this (phenol-free version) online on a whim and, for the price, kinda hoped it wouldn't work as advertised. That said, it is amazing and works like a charm on my oily, pseodo-sensitive skin. Definitely notice a difference if I skip a day or two.

Pros:
Reduced pore size (!)
Softens lines
Seems to help rebuild 'sunken' areas
Tightens skin
Brighter complexion
... All the good things

Cons:
Price (but, I only use once a day and it will likely last me 6-8 months)
Stings
Takes some trial and error to determine how it will work best for you (2x a day for me led to dry, flaky skin around my nose)
Not a fan of the bottle (transfered to a Sephora twist and spout bottle) but it shipped well.