Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by age: 44-55
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.1

on 4/9/2009 12:06:00 AM

I like it, it really does help the concealer stay put all day, even at the gym! I use moisturizer 1st, then I pat on MAC concealer, then with a brush I pat over the concealer to above cheekbones with the powder, buffing it off. Then I use my Bare Minerals makeup, but not under the eyes. At 1st I was alarmed at the concealer powder seeming to dry out my under-eyes, but realized I have to use moisturizer 1st...then I mist over my face with either burts bees carrot oil spray or bare escentuals mist...no more melting away concealer! It adds the tiniest bit of highlight but not much, really. Very subtle and natural.

Update: Not loving this as much, even when I use the smallest amount of powder and buff it and mist it, I find it too dry looking under my eyes. Sorry too, because it is a great color over concealer. I suspect it is the talc, which is not particularly a great ingredient anyway...so I will continue searching for the perfect undereye concealer.

on 6/25/2011 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Nice setting powder that adds a bit of brightness to the complexion. My only complaint is the size of the container- it is too small for the very finely textured powder, which tends to go all over the place when opened. Also, don't breathe in while applying- when inhaled it is quite painful!

on 4/1/2010 5:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Great undereye powder. I have very dark under eye circles and use this to set the LM #2 creme concealer. This powder really helps to lighten up the area, and a little goes a longer way.

on 7/18/2006 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

When applied correctly, this powder makes me look like a new woman, so rested, like I just got back from a week on the beach in Bermuda, one of my favorite places. I got it in a swap, and probably never would have spent the money on it outright the first time, because it is very expensive for the amount of product you get. But for any woman of any age who has dark circles under her eyes, you must buy it.

Before putting this on, I put on a very generous amount of concealer patted on and blended well right under my eyes and on any dark circles. My usual way of applying it is to use a small powder puff dipped into the powder container with just a light bit of product, then I fold the puff in half and I tap it over the concealer, and add more if needed, and I use my ring finger to gently blend the outer edge of where I put the powder. You have to experiment to find the right amount to use for you, because I think if you use way too much product, you might look like you have white rings under your eyes. There may be cheaper versions that work just as well, but I haven't found one yet. I took one lippie off because of the price and because the holes in the sifter "layer" should be a little smaller.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I love this stuff! Who knew there was a powder to put over the concealer? I've been using a heavier concealer for the past year (oh, getting older....). This made any mascara or under-eye makeup run and disappear. I bought this online on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised that not only did it not crease, it looked very natural and I could again wear eyeliner and mascara. Great product!

This is definitely a must-have IMO. I have been using this powder for setting my under eye concealer for about 3 months now and will not need to try out anything else. This powder is magic, it sets concealer so well I don't have to correct anything during the day in fact it keeps concealer in place until I remove make-up late in the evening. This prevents concealer from emphasizing fine lines and wrinkles (you didn't even know you had, lol). It does the job brilliantly, exactly like it claims it would!

WOW, this is what I have been looking for to set my Bobbi Brown corrector !!! Previous to using secret brightening powder I was using BB loose powder & always ended up with concealer looking cakey, settling into lines & yellow looking. Well not with this beauty - I only wish I had not waited so long. I think the key is to use tiny amounts & add more if you need to. Will be buying some for my Mum !

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Amazing. It should make wrinkles look more prominent, but it doesn't! And what a dif in how long my concealer lasts on, at least three times as long. This is a gem, if you have serious problems with dark undereyes, invest in this.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was very eager to try a sample of this product. The name alone is something to encourage the feeling that it really will do something "magical". At Sephora, I got a sample of this in the more yellow-toned shade, hoping it would work well to make my under-eye circles disappear. Sadly, I was really disappointed - the first time a Laura Mercier product has let me down. There's nothing either "secret" or "brightening" about this powder. I tried it as a concealer and it achieved nothing. I tried it over a more traditional concealer and it didn't do a thing to enhance the effectiveness of the concealer. I do use it now to "set" my under eye concealer and it works okay for that but then so does just about any other face powder. I think I will try this in the white shade (I'll get a sample again) but I would not repurchase this product. I've found Bare Escentuals Well Rested powder "concealer" to be far more effective when I use it to set my concealer - it actually adds a degree of "concealing" to that area.

Okay, I am recanting my initial review, changing my "no" to a "yes" on repurchase and upping the lippies for "overall" but knocking off for the dreadful packaging on the full sized jar. And I would repurchase and already have. The reason I've changed my opinion is that while I have several loose setting powders that I use to set my face, if I'm wearing foundation and also my under-eye area to set concealer (which I wear almost every day). What I've found is that some of the setting powders actually seem to suck out the moisture from my under-eye area, leaving some concealers and my under eye area looking drawn and dreadfully dry. Perhaps it is my imagination but this doesn't seem to happen with Secret Brightening Powder (the white one) so as much as it sort of galls me, I did buy the full size of this after my sample (which lasted for an insanely long time) was kaput. And that brings me to the packaging - AWFUL!!!! Why can't this be made with a close-able sifter, like her Mineral Powder Foundation or so many other loose powder products? Once you peel off the sticker covering the holes, you're pretty much screwed with regard to taking this anywhere. I transfer a small amount to an empty MAC sample jar using a small spatula - you can't actually "pour" this into a smaller container because it will go all over the place.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Love this stuff. It's a HG item for me - it really sets the concealer nicely, and diffuses all the nastly little lines nicely. Good stuff!