Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.2

on 4/9/2009 12:06:00 AM

I like it, it really does help the concealer stay put all day, even at the gym! I use moisturizer 1st, then I pat on MAC concealer, then with a brush I pat over the concealer to above cheekbones with the powder, buffing it off. Then I use my Bare Minerals makeup, but not under the eyes. At 1st I was alarmed at the concealer powder seeming to dry out my under-eyes, but realized I have to use moisturizer 1st...then I mist over my face with either burts bees carrot oil spray or bare escentuals mist...no more melting away concealer! It adds the tiniest bit of highlight but not much, really. Very subtle and natural.

Update: Not loving this as much, even when I use the smallest amount of powder and buff it and mist it, I find it too dry looking under my eyes. Sorry too, because it is a great color over concealer. I suspect it is the talc, which is not particularly a great ingredient anyway...so I will continue searching for the perfect undereye concealer.

on 12/18/2008 8:09:00 AM

I purchased this product based on the fantastic reviews on this board. I'll join the minority in stating that it does nothing for me. I used Bobbi Brown corrector in light peach, dabbed a little Cle De Peau concealer, then set with the Secret Brightening Powder. The SBP seemed to emphasize my laugh lines and make my under eyes look chalky. I thought maybe I used too much so the next day I applied my BB concealer and a just a light dusting of the SBP. I didn't see anything at all - no brightening, no glow, no sparkle and certainly no camouflaging of dark circles (mine aren't even that bad). Would not buy again.

I love this powder! It is a super-fine milled powder that is shimmery only if you look at it very closely. I dust a light amount all over my face once all of my makeup is on, then I do my mascara. I start dusting under my eyes and then fan outward over my cheeks and forehead. It creates a very subtle all-over glow! I think it's the perfect amount of glow (glow, not sparkle or shimmer), and creates a fab "airbrushed" look better than bare minerals' mineral veil.
How do I positively KNOW this powder works? The other day at work, a coworker asked me if I had been trying to get pregnant. I said "no, why?" She says "oh, your skin just has that bright, radiant look to it." BEST COMPLIMENT EVER! continued >>

on 8/28/2008 1:37:00 AM

I was easily convinced that an extra fine powder would be invisible and yet take away that shiny look under the eyes. I tested one eye with the LM secret brightening in #1 and the other under eye area w/Nars loose poweer which I use on my face. I found no difference. Why buy two powders when an extra fine face powder does the same thing. I was definately sold on it and excited to try it, but found nothing secret or magical about it. I would never buy again.

on 1/2/2008 5:55:00 PM

This product does what it claims to, it brightens your skin, but it does not live up to all the hype. Honestly, I found this product to be rather unnecessary. Like I said, it brightens your skin but the effects are so subtle that using it is not really worth it. After reading everyone rave about this powder I just had to try it. When I did, I could not believe this was the same product everyone was talking about. I like the texture of the powder and the slight shimmer is nice but, come on, its not all that great and everyone can definitely live without this in their make up bag. Maybe it was my skin tone that did not work well with this product but I see no reason to buy it again. It did not make the skin under my eyes look worse but the difference was so subtle I cant say it made them look any better either. I am going to keep trying and use the rest of this powder up by putting it on with every make up application but if I donít see the big deal about the powder when my supply is all used up I wont be repurchasing it. Also, I dont see any evidence that the powder doesnt settle into fine lines since it did on my face. Big disappointment.

on 5/25/2007 1:23:00 AM

I was sceptical about buying this product as I am Black American with a medium dark complexion. I am a cosmetic nut though and was intrigued with this product. After reading all of the great reviews and hearing over and over again about how good it was, I decided to go to Nordstrom and get a professionals opinion. She applied it in #2 and gave me a mirror, with the bad store lighting I couldn't really see it but I bought it anyway. When I got home, I applied my Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in Golden and then this on top. WOW....I am amazed. BB concealer is very creamey and thick and with this on top it looked like I had nothing on but a beautiful even undereye glow. I love this stuff. I took some pictures in a dimly lit room with my digital camera just to see how it would look and it was just so even and bright. No undereye circles at all. Not a glittery product either, just gives a beautiful sheen. I really think that almost the darkest of skin tones will love this product...

on 6/18/2006 11:05:00 AM

This is a must have IMO. I have pretty dark circles as well as having defined tear troughs. I was even at the point of thinking about fat transfer to that area. Now I think I can put off! The trick for me, is to use a decent quantity of this powder - because it is so finely milled, it's hard to over-do it. And when I used a lighter dusting I didn't have such fabulous results. I really really LOVE this.

Oof the price on this is steep considering the size of that tiny jar (compared to the whopping full size of the translucent powder). But this stuff is just perfect as a setting powder under the eyes.

I own LM's translucent setting powder and using that to bake left me looking cake-y and too matte. The creasing was significant and gave me 100 year old eyes (no offense to the lovely centenarians out there!). This powder has just enough light reflecting particles that it brightens and doesn't look cake-y (to be fair the SA at Sephora told me not to get the translucent powder but I didn't listen; don't make the same mistake!).

The secret to using this to bake & set under the eyes is too use a beauty blender type sponge to apply, carefully rolling and pressing this powder in. Let sit and then brush away with a powder brush. I use this with YSL All Hours concealer and foundation and it looks incredibly flawless and natural and even hours of wear, there's no creasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Too drying on my dry skin. If dryness is not an issue for you this is a fantastic, subtle brightener. It's finely milled and easy to use. The color disappears into my skin. The LM MUA at Nordstrom advised me to use just a tiny bit over my under eye concealer. Good advice, but this is still just far too drying.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm somewhat indifferent to the full face version of this but this under eye powder is simply the best thing to happen to my eyes!!! I have extremely bad under eye circles and have used every recommended corrector, concealer, potion, and powder from ludicrously high end to high street and this is without doubt the best. A tiny amount of product covers even my worst dark circles, never looks caked, and never creases. Yes, it is expensive for an under eye powder given so many come in kits already, but nothing compares to this! The only drawback is that so much comes out from one tap of the lid; but given this isn't something to carry on the go and the lid is so secure it's not really an issue. An instant Holy Grail product I already worry what I will do if they EVER discontinue this!