Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

on 8/28/2008 1:37:00 AM

I was easily convinced that an extra fine powder would be invisible and yet take away that shiny look under the eyes. I tested one eye with the LM secret brightening in #1 and the other under eye area w/Nars loose poweer which I use on my face. I found no difference. Why buy two powders when an extra fine face powder does the same thing. I was definately sold on it and excited to try it, but found nothing secret or magical about it. I would never buy again.

on 1/2/2008 5:55:00 PM

This product does what it claims to, it brightens your skin, but it does not live up to all the hype. Honestly, I found this product to be rather unnecessary. Like I said, it brightens your skin but the effects are so subtle that using it is not really worth it. After reading everyone rave about this powder I just had to try it. When I did, I could not believe this was the same product everyone was talking about. I like the texture of the powder and the slight shimmer is nice but, come on, its not all that great and everyone can definitely live without this in their make up bag. Maybe it was my skin tone that did not work well with this product but I see no reason to buy it again. It did not make the skin under my eyes look worse but the difference was so subtle I cant say it made them look any better either. I am going to keep trying and use the rest of this powder up by putting it on with every make up application but if I don’t see the big deal about the powder when my supply is all used up I wont be repurchasing it. Also, I dont see any evidence that the powder doesnt settle into fine lines since it did on my face. Big disappointment.

on 5/25/2007 1:23:00 AM

I was sceptical about buying this product as I am Black American with a medium dark complexion. I am a cosmetic nut though and was intrigued with this product. After reading all of the great reviews and hearing over and over again about how good it was, I decided to go to Nordstrom and get a professionals opinion. She applied it in #2 and gave me a mirror, with the bad store lighting I couldn't really see it but I bought it anyway. When I got home, I applied my Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in Golden and then this on top. WOW....I am amazed. BB concealer is very creamey and thick and with this on top it looked like I had nothing on but a beautiful even undereye glow. I love this stuff. I took some pictures in a dimly lit room with my digital camera just to see how it would look and it was just so even and bright. No undereye circles at all. Not a glittery product either, just gives a beautiful sheen. I really think that almost the darkest of skin tones will love this product...

on 6/18/2006 11:05:00 AM

This is a must have IMO. I have pretty dark circles as well as having defined tear troughs. I was even at the point of thinking about fat transfer to that area. Now I think I can put off! The trick for me, is to use a decent quantity of this powder - because it is so finely milled, it's hard to over-do it. And when I used a lighter dusting I didn't have such fabulous results. I really really LOVE this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm somewhat indifferent to the full face version of this but this under eye powder is simply the best thing to happen to my eyes!!! I have extremely bad under eye circles and have used every recommended corrector, concealer, potion, and powder from ludicrously high end to high street and this is without doubt the best. A tiny amount of product covers even my worst dark circles, never looks caked, and never creases. Yes, it is expensive for an under eye powder given so many come in kits already, but nothing compares to this! The only drawback is that so much comes out from one tap of the lid; but given this isn't something to carry on the go and the lid is so secure it's not really an issue. An instant Holy Grail product I already worry what I will do if they EVER discontinue this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff! Who knew there was a powder to put over the concealer? I've been using a heavier concealer for the past year (oh, getting older....). This made any mascara or under-eye makeup run and disappear. I bought this online on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised that not only did it not crease, it looked very natural and I could again wear eyeliner and mascara. Great product!

on 1/24/2016 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I use it all the time you do need lots of it for it to work lol
. My skin is normal (N15), slightly dry on occasion.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.
I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 6/8/2015 5:29:00 PM

Woah! My under eyes crease a lot and someone recommended this and it's amazing! I've never seen anything like this it stopped my undereyes from creasing and made them look more awake and feel smoother

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

My HG!

I use this powder to set the various under eye concealers I use and this powder is just perfect! I never have any creasing, white flashback in photos when I use this. I was originally put off by the powder being white because I didn't want it to look ashy; but this powder is just perfect.

The product itself is a finely milled powder, almost like a sifted flour texture, it is very airy and light. It is white with a light sheen/glimmer to it. Once I blend out my concealer I apply this using my damp BB or my pointed Sigma Sigmax brush. I already use the GA orange corrector for my under eye area then conceal but I still want that something extra and this is just what I needed. I like the way this looks better during daytime then using banana colored powders it looks more natural. My under eye make up lasts forever once I set it with this. I also skip my corrector and my concealer will cast a dark shadow under my eye and this helps diffuse that perfectly!

I paid $24 and got 0.14 OZ. it might seem small but I have had mine since Sept.2014 and with daily use I still have a ton of product left. I highly suggest this powder, Its a must have in my book!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I was so excited to buy this product after hearing great things from the girls at the LM counter and the staff at Space NK. This is a very disappointing product for a few reasons:

If you have a problem with dark circles and need something to set your concealer whilst providing some illumination, this is NOT for you. This has no coverage (I know it isn't meant to) but it also does not brighten the eye area at all. For me it makes my under eyes look quite ashy and grey which obviously does not help my terrible hereditary dark circles.

I also can't seem to understand how this holds your concealer in place? It creases in the fine lines under my eyes and looks dry. I've tried applying this a few different ways and it hasn't made a difference, my concealer is partially removed in application and I'm left looking blotchy and tired.

I would not repurchase this product nor would I recommend it to anyone trying to brighten their under eyes. I will continue my search for a great powder to set my concealer and provide some extra coverage!

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that my dark circles are brown-ish in colour so perhaps this works better for blue/purple-ish dark circles?