Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

on 2/18/2011 6:32:00 PM

At first I used this product and it just didn't work for me ... but now I found out how to use it and it is part of my daily routine. My tip: first apply your usual concealer, then turn the pot around so that some powder falls into the lid. Turn the pot back its normal position and shake it gently so that all the powder in the lid falls back in the pot. The film of powder that stays in the lid is ALL you need.
Take a small but fluffy brush and sweep through lid. Apply under your eyes and - if you wish - on the lids.
I mainly use it to set my concealer and it works so much better in doing that than any other face powder (which cakes). As for the illuminating effect - I'm less impressed by that effect, but still it's a really nice and useful product. If you use this product correctly it lasts very very long.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Well I got seduced into buying this when I was in SpaceNK the other day - I was looking at the No1 (white version) as I am ghostly pale but the SA convinced me to try the No2 which is advertised as being for darker skin tones. Her reasoning is that the No2 looks much more natural than the white which can look lodd under some lights and weirdly on skin as pale as mine give you reverse panda eyes as you have little natural skin colour to counter the whiteness - she advised sticking to the No.2 except for evenings. So decided to give it a whirl. The No.2 shade is still VERY pale - like a slightly off white. She used this over the Secret Concealor and Secret Light pen (reviewed those seperately)- worked really well!!! (Am still lemming the white version though!!)
Not a miracle product but does make a big difference - didn't notice till did one eye and not the other.
Will definitely buy again just not sure what shade.Have taken off one lippy for the price!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

on 8/2/2011 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I just used this on my eyes after putting on concealer and noticed that it causes my eye area to look more dried out, and it also emphasized fine lines. I'll be returning it.

This powder greatly minimizes fine lines under/around my eyes and does give me more of an awake, youthful look. More polished too! I am so happy with the results of this eye brightening powder. For reference, I am combination/oily, and am ppp skintone (NC15). I bought shade #1.

I used to lightly pat on a high coverage powder mineral foundation over concealer in an effort to hide my dark reddish purple under eyes. While that did work in covering, it would look dry and really emphasized fine lines -actually aging my eyes.

With application, I recommend exposing only one or two holes at most, only partially peeling back the covering. Just a bare amount is needed! (Be careful not to inhale.) Take a fluffy brush and catch the powder film left on the lid, tap excess off the brush, and gently/barely pat on over concealer. For best results, don't drag, just lightly and evenly pat on.

I don't mind the packaging being I can control what comes out. Being it takes a barely there amount to brighten, I imagine I will not have to repurchase for years. And it definitely delivers! Just for the fact that it minimizes fine lines I would repurchase. That being so, the price is not bad. I recommend!!

on 11/8/2010 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love this stuff! Really brightens the eye area. I use YSL Radiant Touch as an under eye conceler as I dont have dark circles just some small lines and this really finishes it off nicely without acccentuating the lines at all. Usually I cant put powder under my eyes - a moist look is just better for those little lines and I just want a finished look. This stuff is so much better than just the YSL by itself. And it will last for a long time as it only takes a small amount. I use a foundation brush and just pat a little under each eye and on the cheek bone sometimes too. Great product!

on 5/5/2010 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i recently wrote a review for Mally's Eye Light Powder which is a white/translucent pressed powder that's made to set your undereye concealer and to help brighten the area. i adore that product, and would have kept using it except for the fact that i used it up and was desperate for something to set my concealer with and didn't have the time to wait for Mally's powder to be shipped to me from QVC-- hence, i bought this LM Secret Brightening Powder in Shade 1. although i really, really loved the Mally Powder and the fact that it's less expensive than the LM powder (minus the shipping and handling; if you add the s&h it's basically equal in price), i actually found that i like this Secret Brightening Powder a little bit better. although they both set your concealer without altering it's color, the LM SBP seems to look even less visible than Mally's powder and brightens the undereye area slightly more for me. it also definitely keeps my concealer (Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer at the moment, but i switch around a lot) looking just-applied-fresh much longer than Mally's powder. i actually cannot BELIEVE how amazingly fresh the LM SBP keeps my concealer; when i go to wash my face at 10 pm it looks EXACTLY the same as it did when i applied it at 9 am. that is impressive!!! there is a *slight* luminescence to this SBP, but it's not something i would describe as shimmer, and it's not noticeable once you've been wearing it for a little while. another reason i prefer this SBP over Mally's powder is the fact that since this powder is loose, it applies more finely than Mally's pressed version, and also when i was using Mally's pressed Eye Bright powder it always developed those hard spots on the surface from moisture that i would have to scrape off, thus wasting product. loose powders are always messy to deal with and my remedy to this (like many other people) is to only leave a few of the holes open for the loose powder to come out of. i just leave the sticker covering about 85% of the holes so that only a small amount of product will come out when i tip the jar over. i love the super, super, super finely milled texture of this SBP so much that i've been using a sample of Shade 2 (slightly more flesh-toned than Shade 1 which is a bright white) as a regular translucent setting powder all over my face! it's that undetectable and wonderful for me! but today i purchased LM's Translucent Setting powder to use for that purpose so hopefully it will work as well. although this SBP is a bit pricey, i'm sure it will last for atleast a year because you only need a tiny amount, and it's well worth the $22 to me because of how well it performs.

on 10/15/2008 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

The fab makeup artist @ Sephora Aventura- totally did me over, Using products I'd never even dreamt of using much less heard of.
When I left he gave me a few samples as I ended up spending over $100.
One of these samples was a fine powder that he put in a small jar, that sample lasted at least 5 months!!, so having no idea what it was I searched the Sephora website and concluded it was this miracle powder, Sent hubby in to purchase it and I'm in love - Again. I have puffy under eyes( or maybe they are just hollow) Anyway, I use Touche Eclat #4 (YSL) And then set it with this silica powder- the difference is immediate my eyes are radiant -Sometimes i use it on its own over foundation- and now when I take photos I dont look like the girl with the puffy/dark undereyes. I'm black - milk choc complexion and use #2.
I Highly highly recommend applying with a small fan brush- I purchased mine at the airport but am sure you can buy @ sephora too.
I couldn't love it more and it lasts For-Ev- Er!!!

Okay, this product has changed my life. I have REALLY sensitive eyes and they cannot tolerate anything with shimmer. I also have really dark circles that make me look tired and age me. Regular concealor has never really cut it for me. I currently use a concealor made by Senna. Anyway, I had received a free gift from Saks and a small container of this powder was one of the products inside. I held onto it, but never intended to use it since I know how my eyes react to shimmer.

Well, this weekend, I couldn't stand the circles anymore and needed to do something. I dabbed my concealor under my eyes and then took my concealor brush, dipped it lightly into the brightening powder and used that combination to spread my concealor under my eyes. I didn't react right away and a few hours later, there was still no itching or burning. The combination of my concealor and the powder was perfect. It did not cake at all (I really only used a TINY amount) and it looked totally natural. My circles looked SOOOOOOOOOOO much better. I will keep using this FOREVER. It also comes in a pen in liquid form which I would also like to try. This is huge for me considering I feel that up until now there has really been no way to remedy the horrible dark circles. This is a HG product for me.

on 9/2/2007 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok I'm going to start of by saying that I didn't have really high exepctations for this product. I just happened to be wandering around Nordie's and was playing around in the makeup area.

Recently I have developed some darkness under my eyes and was thinking about trying something to hide them - more or less looking for an excuse to buy more makeup. The LM counter caught my eye and the SA dabbed on some Secret Concelear and put the Brightening Powder on top...and I immediatly fell in love. I adore the "Bright Eye'd" look underneath the eyes that seems pretty populare these days and this gave me just that. Woke my face up and even on those really bad mornings this does the trick to make everyone think that I have had a great nights sleep. I think the trick to avoiding "settling" into the not so good areas under the eye is to go easy with the product. The SA told me about five times NOT to over do it and just use a very small amount to get the effect needed. She was right...because those few time that I got overzealous the powder did settle into my lines.