Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

This powder makes my under eye area very dry, thus underlines puffiness, small wrinkles etc

on 3/12/2012 10:21:00 AM

I bought this product thinking that it would hide dark circles in my under-eye area but was left bemused as to what it actually is supposed to do...there were no instructions that came with the product on the packaging or on a leaflet inside the box. I assumed that this was a finishing powder to brighten areas of the face in need of this, so swept some on my under-eye area and it did not seem to do anything and had the same effect that talcum powder would have - makes the skin feel soft but definitely doesn't cover any dark circles! I think perhaps there may be a special process to follow where this powder would create a lovely effect but even with foundation underneath, which should act as a primer, the powder didn't appear to do anything at all... I feel this purchase was a waste of money and certainly isn't worth 24 :-(

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was very eager to try a sample of this product. The name alone is something to encourage the feeling that it really will do something "magical". At Sephora, I got a sample of this in the more yellow-toned shade, hoping it would work well to make my under-eye circles disappear. Sadly, I was really disappointed - the first time a Laura Mercier product has let me down. There's nothing either "secret" or "brightening" about this powder. I tried it as a concealer and it achieved nothing. I tried it over a more traditional concealer and it didn't do a thing to enhance the effectiveness of the concealer. I do use it now to "set" my under eye concealer and it works okay for that but then so does just about any other face powder. I think I will try this in the white shade (I'll get a sample again) but I would not repurchase this product. I've found Bare Escentuals Well Rested powder "concealer" to be far more effective when I use it to set my concealer - it actually adds a degree of "concealing" to that area.

Okay, I am recanting my initial review, changing my "no" to a "yes" on repurchase and upping the lippies for "overall" but knocking off for the dreadful packaging on the full sized jar. And I would repurchase and already have. The reason I've changed my opinion is that while I have several loose setting powders that I use to set my face, if I'm wearing foundation and also my under-eye area to set concealer (which I wear almost every day). What I've found is that some of the setting powders actually seem to suck out the moisture from my under-eye area, leaving some concealers and my under eye area looking drawn and dreadfully dry. Perhaps it is my imagination but this doesn't seem to happen with Secret Brightening Powder (the white one) so as much as it sort of galls me, I did buy the full size of this after my sample (which lasted for an insanely long time) was kaput. And that brings me to the packaging - AWFUL!!!! Why can't this be made with a close-able sifter, like her Mineral Powder Foundation or so many other loose powder products? Once you peel off the sticker covering the holes, you're pretty much screwed with regard to taking this anywhere. I transfer a small amount to an empty MAC sample jar using a small spatula - you can't actually "pour" this into a smaller container because it will go all over the place.

on 2/19/2012 4:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I do like this product, but it's not what your thinking. I use this under my eyes after concealer and then I swipe it over my cheek bones to keep things even. I think, it definitely helps to keep my concealer in tack, and I have noticed less smearing and such. It does brighten under my eyes a little. But I don't look in the mirror and think, " Wow I look so refreshed and bright" however, I do notice a difference when I don't use it. I would buy it again, it's very light, and it does not at all appear cake like. I would recommend it, but it's not as amazing as some of the reviews I read before I purchased it myself made it out to me. But, everyones skin tone is different.

I'm kind of on the fence about this powder. I *think* it makes my undereye area look brighter, but I'm definitely not as positive about the effect as some of the other reviewers. And, it's one more step in my now lengthy (thanks, MUA!) makeup routine. On the plus side, the texture is incredibly light, and it doesn't settle into fine lines.

on 1/25/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Oh! I just don't get it! Can't make it work for me. I bought it after having a make over by the consultant at Myers. I wanted the setting powder, but she chose this for me instead. I can't see the difference. Also make me get black heads if I try to wear it too many days in a row (which I did to see if it did make any difference). I won't dispose of it quite yet..... Maybe I will have some kind of break through with it.

on 12/1/2011 8:33:00 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I love the effect it gives under my eyes and it sets my concealer really well. However, the powder is so fine that it sometimes creeps up my bottom eye lashes and gets into my eyes. This causes eye dryness and vision blurriness. I have to be overly careful when applying. The pot will probably last a really long time but I don't think I'll re-purchase.

on 9/26/2011 5:24:00 PM

I don't know how this works but it does. After concealing my mild dark circles, a light sweep of this under my eyes with the Laura Mercier mini-fan brush just brightens up the face. I use the #2 as I am a NC30/C4 light tan Asian gal. For the rest of my face (usually just T-zone) I dust with her Invisible Setting Powder or my MUFE HD Powder. But for under the eyes? I ONLY use this Brightening Powder. I am a believer; it really makes a difference and makes me look awake and vibrant!

on 9/24/2011 9:49:00 PM

I felt it emphasized my fine lines and pores more so.

on 9/23/2011 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I returned it got my money back....just bad