La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Noire du Mexique

No Image

I received a bottle of Vanille Noire du Mexique in a swap and I've been really enjoying it! It's a complex, creamy vanilla with a spicy/peppery kick. In my personal opinion it is not as foody as other vanilla centered scents, but I did once hear a comment that 'something smelled like good, roasted marshmallows'. When I revealed it might be me, they admitted that I was indeed the source, but that it smelled great! A romantic interest found it "amazing". I feel it also has potential to be combined, to give a creamier or sweeter note to another scent.

on 2/27/2005 3:14:00 PM

I'm not traditionally a vanilla person but this grew on me. I got used to smelling it and missed it if I didn't put it on. It is soft, simple, smooth and easy. All without coming off as childish or drugstore style. Good for layering with other scents.

on 1/27/2005 9:37:00 AM

Mexique is a worthy addition to my vanilla collection. I like that itís not too foody due to the floral notes and patchouli. Or too sweet, because I already have several sweet ones. Mexique is the most exotic of my vanillas. It is almost Shalimar-like (although I donít care for Shalimar). I only wish Mexique had better staying power. Love the price too!

after reading the reveiws here I was so excited to get my sampler....until i got it. Most of these, include the Mexique, dried down to a musty smell. yes, I said musty, not musky. I smelled like a dirty attic. yuck! I was expecting something sweet and smokey but the vanilla is so not prominant in these. The smell better in the bottle than they do on me but I was expecting something a little more vibrant. I barely smelled the floral notes at application and on drydown, they were gone. I got musty patchouli.

on 1/7/2005 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I agree with the reviewer directly below me, this smells like a combination of vanilla lotion and floral soap -- and not in a good way. The one saving grace is that it didn't last forever on me.

Skin: Other, Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Bought this stuff online because of the raves at MUA. Smelled very boring on my skin, like a mixture of cheap vanilla Bodylotion and a floral drugstore soap. Sold it immediately at ebay (5,00 Ä), my hubby didn't like it, my daughters refused to use it.

on 1/2/2005 3:12:00 AM

GREAT!!!!! Powdery vanilla beautiful, OK lasting power...yummy. MY #3 out the line (they are excellent) this one is very similar to Madagascar but not as strong. LOVE IT

on 12/19/2004 12:38:00 PM

A wonderfully spicy and sophisticated vanilla. When I read that this scent contained patchouli, I thought I would absolutely detest it - however, it's so well blended that the patchouli acts as a mere highlight that softens the foody edge of the rich vanilla. It certainly doesn't scream "Look at me! I'm wearing patchouli!" as most fragrances containing patchouli tend to do on me. Simply beautiful.

on 12/3/2004 6:46:00 AM

I am shocked at how much I like this. I actually bought it to bring my Beauty Habit order over the $100 mark to qualify for free shipping. Not the best reason to buy a perfume, but the truth must be told. It is surprisingly gorgeous. With all the perfumes I have in the stratospheric price range, this little quite inexpensive scent calls my name many mornings. It is also a good before bed fragrance. Layered with a chocolate or vanilla lotion, it is sublime. I have been pairing it with either Kiehl's Vanilla lotion or Jaqua Chocolate body butter to bring out either of those notes a bit more. My husband, who almost never comments on my perfumes, has often said how great this smells, without prompting by the usual my wrist to his nose thing I normally do. Unsolicited remarks from him are as rare as hen's teeth. This one always gets noticed. The sillage is good although the staying power is not excellent. It definitely needs a few mid-day spritzes to revitalize. I am more than happy to do this and very pleased with this purchase. Now I want more in this line.

on 10/26/2004 1:16:00 PM

this one is very much like angel by thierry mugler (a favorite of mine) it blends well with my favorite coconut lotion too, but if you really want to save money-buy amorito from the body shop!!! it's vanilla+chocolate+jasmine nirvana!!!

Popular Fragrances