La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Noire du Mexique

No Image

on 8/2/2008 10:22:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

So very like my beloved Vanille del Madagascar that I had to try them side by side. Madagascar has more smoke than this, but both are a touch smokey and both are just gorgeous. As other reviewers has stated, it's not a foody vanilla, as far as vanilla can be not foody. The added notes aren't obvious, nor can you separate them out, but what you end up with is a velvety, dark vanilla with some indefinable elegance, some feeling of mystery and comfort in the same song. Gorgeous.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this fragrance. Gourmand without being foody, it goes on dark, rich and spicy, and the drydown is powdery, creamy vanilla but still retains a hint of the opening spicy kick. On me the lasting power is very good. This was much more wearable in winter when I purchased it, though; it's a little too overbearing in summer for me. Makes me think of thick, rich, bittersweet Aztec chocolate and dark, mysterious nights. I get lost in the richness of this scent. I love the bottle too.

on 6/6/2008 2:16:00 PM

This is by far one of the sexiest vanilla fragrances around. But, this ain't your cupcake vanilla, this is spicy vanilla! It's a little chocolatey with a dry-musk note, both of which are smoothed out by the creamy vanilla. I'd wear this in summer, fall or winter.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love Mexique, just as well as I love all of the others in the La Maison de la Vanille line. It's an incredibly unique interpretation of vanilla. The entire line is a vanilla-lovers dream. At least, it is on my part ;). Strangely enough, Mexique smelled like citrus dish-washing soap mixed with vanilla shampoo at first spray. I instantly hated it. After a while, I kept getting wafts of something smoky and rich. The dry down of Mexique took me away! It's deep and soft, full of delicious vanilla. I get the most out of the bergamot at first, and then after a few minutes I can pick out a beautifully blended aura of rose, iris, and patchouli and what must be the opoponax that makes it smell so smoky. I can't really detect any jasmine note, unfortunately, because I do love jasmine. I usually consider fragrances with a lot of vanilla to be too heavy for summer, but this one can be worn through summer during the day or even the night. I'd buy this over and over again!

Notes as mentioned on Sephora:
Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Vanilla, Iris, Opoponax, Patchouli.

on 5/31/2008 12:43:00 AM

LOVE this! I bought it untested when Sephora had it on clearance so it was really cheap and when I first smelled it, it was fine, but nothing exciting. If you smell the bottle, it smells like soap, but once it starts to meld with the skin the warmth of the vanilla comes out. This is not as sweet as other perfumes from this line (Madagascar and Tropiques) and there is a spicy, woodsy scent that tames it. Makes me feel like I'm wrapped in a cozy blanket. If you are a fan of gourmand/foody fragrances, definitely give this a try!

About the sweetest vanilla that I can stand without feeling ill, it has a touch of spice and slight creaminess that tames it, but I still find it overwhelmingly strong.

Woot! Scored one from Sephora online sale for $5. I am not a fan of patchouli, but it actually gives Vanille Noire du Mexique a nice smokey, bittersweet quality. Love it! Of all the LMDV fragrances, Noire is my favorite. Lasting power is about 3 hours. UPDATE: I have to up this to five lippies. This is the kind of scent that I want to trail me in a room.

Description from Sephora is below, since I am inept at describing fragrances. :)

Vanille Noire du Mexique
Elegant and refined, this powdery fragrance has sparkling top notes of bergamot soothed with the richness of rose, jasmine, iris, and patchouli.

Notes:
Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Vanilla, Iris, Opoponax, Patchouli.

Style:
Mysterious. Refined. Seductive.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the scent of vanilla and I have many vanilla fragrances but this is one is terribly off-putting. It smells exactly like Glade air freshener in the plain blue can sold in Canada in the early nineties. I don't even know if the Glade product is still sold. All I know is my ex-boyfriend used to spray it all over his home after doing his weekly housekeeping. I can't wear this. Oh, and it smells remarkably like Lavanila Pure Vanilla.

on 3/30/2008 3:23:00 AM

This reminds me of BPAL Snake Oil, only not as sweet and less of the "cola" note. It's powdery and spicy, and I have to admit, it takes awhile to love. I got it expecting a Pink Sugar dupe. Upon first sniff, I was horrified at the amount of spice and powder, I liked both notes, but I wanted my vanilla perfume to smell like...vanilla. As in the extract. There's a reason I'm hopelessly in love with the CSP line and iPDF Vaniglia del Madagascar. I like my vanillas uncomplicated and sweet.

While it shocked me at first, I grew to love it. After a few wearings, I was hooked. This is not too spicy, the powdery note is bearable, and everything just works together. It's not a boring vanilla by any means. It's dry and complex enough to not be generic but might be a tad too sweet and powdery for a man. I do wish the bottle wasn't opaque, though. It's as if CSP and La Maison de Vanille both got together and conspired to drive me nuts not knowing how much of their precious juice is left in my bottles.

on 4/27/2008 8:54:00 PM

I picked this up on a whim, because it was just too cheap to resist at Sephora. ($10) I'd actually sniffed it a few years ago, before I got into perfumes. At the time, I thought, "This is pretty, but it's too weird to really wear." What was I thinking? This is one of the mellowest, prettiest, kitten-soft vanillas I've ever sniffed. It doesn't seem like anything special until you compare it to other vanilla scents; everything else is too sour or sugary-sweet next to Mexique Noire. It's really converted this former-gourmand-hater. I've worn it every day this week (quite a feat for me), and it's great as a base layer if you like to mix your perfumes. EDIT: Try layering this with Narciso Rodriguez for Her. You won't be sorry.

Popular Fragrances