Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

Costes
is a highly woody fragrance with a smoky incense accord. It has some
lovely spice notes, including strong coriander and white pepper which
along with a very pleasant rose note makes up that soapy accord some
here of the reviews are mentioning. I am one that likes this soapy
accord, which separates Costes from the rest of the incense fragrance
pack. I also find that it balances Costes out nicely. Costes is so
much better than Diptyque’s L’Eau and shares very little
similarity with it besides rose and spices. And Costes is much less
cloying and harsh than L’Eau. The musk note in the dry down is
also very noticeable and pleasant. It does reminds me a little of a
much more wearable version of Diptyque’s Essence of John
Galliano. Another mentioned its similarity to Comme des Garcons
Jaisalmer, but I find that it’s different enough to warrant
owning both. The only problems I can find with Costes is that it
doesn’t have the projection that I usually prefer in an
incense-based fragrance, and it could last a little longer, but its
lasting power is still pretty good. I like it.

Notes:
coriander seed, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk,
rose, sandalwood

continued >>

on 2/26/2005 10:44:00 AM

I tested Costes ages ago, and never thought it was particularly special. It opens with a strong iris-soap like accord, which besides being simply antithetical to this gourmand girl, was also rather generic to my nose, as I was sure I had experienced it in some other scent, only done slightly better. Of course, I simply washed it off then without really waiting past 15 minutes for the dry down. I recieved a large decant from a dear friend of mine a few months later however, and as how she was raving about how much she loved it, I thought I would give it another go. And I'm so glad I did -- give this half an hour or so to dry down, and it turns into something quite lovely and unique. The iris accord fades away, and while the soapy aspect is still there, it is joined by a melange of gentle spices and cozy sandalwood, creating a lovely, soft, intriguing, enrapturing and mysterious aura. I usually don't like scents that have even a trace of soap in them, but this is very, very gorgeous. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Costes seems to smell differently on everyone from sandalwood to soap. For me, it's a very clean incensey fragrance...almost fresh. I'm sure it will be the summer's answer to my winter incense addiction. I didn't care for this one at first, but it somehow grew on me. And is still growing.
Edited to add another star. This is definitely a 4 star scent. I wore this in the dead of winter and the hottest, most humid day of the day...it is *just right* every time.
Notes: coriander seeds, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk, and hints of rose.

First Review: I think this is a fragrance for those who like baby powder scents.
Second Review: On second testing of this scent, a very fresh sample from Aedes, I like it. There is a touch of Ivory soap in the drydown, about 1/2 hr. in, like others have said, but overall, I find this a very sexy, complex spice and think it would be absolutely lovely for the winter holidays!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I LOVE this scent and I am not attracted to woodsy scents at all. I received this in a gift bag from a friend and I have no idea where to purchase it and I don't know how much it costs. At first application it has a heavy cinnamon and spice scent to it. I read a review where someone described it as a chai latte scent. It dries down to what I can only describe as something that reminds me of the woods and ocean. An "aqua woodsy" scent perhaps?I'm not good at describing scents but this is definitely different and definitely unisex--perhaps more on the masculine side and I love that. This is definitely a fall/winter scent and would be overbearing in the summer.

on 2/4/2010 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This along with tam dao are my all time favorite winter scents. It is woodsy and "cinnaminY"- perfect for cold and blustery days. This is not your average scent and is quite costly, but if you like great aromatics, this is great to try!

on 10/25/2009 9:59:00 PM

I love this scent, but I already own it in a 10 Corso Como bottle.

on 4/20/2009 7:24:00 PM

2012 : I love this scent now - I didn't like it in 2009 . Spicey , aromatic yet cleanish and soapy ,ambient and quite soothing. Lasting power is mediocre but the scent is uber chic .

on 5/13/2008 12:45:00 PM

I've been wearing Costes by Hôtel Costes for about week now--I can't seem to get enough of it. It reminds me of 10CC (which I also love), but the bay and lavender rounds it out. I spritz this stuff pretty heavily and it lasts all day without ever becoming overbearing.

It's unique, comforting, and very wearable.

Edit: I am in love with everything Costes.

on 11/12/2007 9:04:00 AM

I am really enjoying this delicious subtle scent. If you enjoy aromatics, this will please. I see it being compared to several incense scents, and yes I can smell a similarity to 10 Corso Como which I love. But Costes is more subtle and smooth than 10CC. The opening is warmer than the drydown but I enjoy the entire ride. This has a comforting "home" smell to it,I would call Costes a "soul scent". I will definitely repurchase and may even buy a back up now!