Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

on 11/27/2004 5:58:00 PM

Beautifully spicy but soft, soft, soft, Costes smells like potpourri in need of refresher oil. There's something appealingly distant and haunting about it, like a memory or an echo. I get lots of coriander and an accord resembling cinnamon but without cinnamon's bite. The only thing I don't particularly like about this scent is a soapy accord that emerges about half an hour into the drydown.

on 11/7/2007 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The spicy/cinnamon-y/clove-y opening is my least favorite part of this scent, and luckily for me it only lasts 15 minutes or so. As the spice fades, I am left with just the perfect combination of incense, sandalwood, and musk. I prefer this to Tam Dao, which is too dry and too straight sandalwood (not to mention how fleeting it is) for me. I get decent skin scent lasting power with Costes. I like both this and 10 Corso Como, which I find similar. Inspired by laphenix's comment, I'd agree Costes is the sister to 10 Corso Como, but I'd describe Costes as friendlier and more approachable rather than quieter. (10 Corso Como's musk is much more aggressive on my skin.) And I don't find this scent too masculine at all, but perfectly unisex. Notes include: laurel, lavender, coriander seeds, white pepper, rose, incense, wood, musk.

on 9/10/2007 8:24:00 PM

Costes is 10 Corso Como's quieter younger sister. It's definetely not as in-your-face as 10CC, but the overall feeling is similar. Incensey woods and rose with the additional soapiness of lavendar. This is a nice one for summer-to-fall.

I think this would smell fabulous on a man. Yes, it is really nice on me, but I think I would prefer it on a man. Costes is not particularly masculine. This is actually very unisex. I still think I want to smell it on a man--or maybe I just want a man? I think that's it! I think I just need a man :p Back to Costes- it's good. Maybe a man in a pilot suit? Yes, that's it! It's very spicy, but clean- like a clean cut fine looking tall American in uniform. Ah! I need to get me one of those! Should I order on line or over the phone? I think Lucky Scent has them in stock.

on 3/3/2007 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I usually do not like greens or things that are too spicy (*cough* Idole *cough*), but this goes very well with my chemistry. Lucky Scent sent this to me as a free sample, and I was not looking forward to smelling like a bowl of potpourri in the middle of a forest, but it was not so. I am discovering that a lot of men's fragrances smell very good on me, so that may be why (my next purchase will probably be YSL's L'Homme).

This is scent is fresh, evergreen, a bit minty and a bit peppery on me. It's very nice, but it is not my thing. continued >>

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I may end up getting a decant of this one. I don't think I need a FB of it but it's very pleasant and wearable. It is not a strong fragrance, it stikes me as a thinner, more skin-close cousin to YSL Nu, with more laurel. I definitely kept resniffing my arm during the day. It's a spicy, herbal incense and woods scent that is very nice. Lovely presentation, too. I already have YSL Nu in the EDT and the EDP, body cream, so I don't believe I *need* a full bottle of Costes, but a decant would do very nicely. Definitely a unisex scent.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I really enjoyed this fragrance (thanks Razzy!) It's the first scent I have tried that has a truly beautiful lavender top note that doesn't smell like air freshener. Costes is a lovely blend of lavender, woods and soapy spices on me, with a touch of rose mixed in. (There is some incense, but it is very light.) It's a lovely mellow, spicy scent to wear in the autumn. I can't give it full marks though, because it only lasted 3 hours on me. Still, definitely worth looking for a decant!

on 9/19/2005 9:52:00 PM

Oh my I love Costes, I just received a very generous decant of this from Gumibear, and I just put it on after taking a nice shower, this is refreshing,clean, woodsy and incensy... beautiful and somewhat mysterious fragrance!

on 7/22/2005 2:35:00 PM

Gorgeous French perfume with predominant wood and incense notes. I smell lavender in the top notes, which gives it a fresh, intriguing quality (some may call it 'soapy'). The drydown is a warm, musky rose mixed with sandalwood. It's moody and mysterious, which is how I like my perfumes, and pretty much everything else.

on 6/11/2005 9:31:00 AM

Costes sample came to me through a miraculous turn of events involving Luckyscent. For weeks preceding its arrival, I had this scent in my nose... I went through all my perfumes trying to figure out what it was because I was in dire need of wearing it. Well it didn't exist in my collection, that's for sure. Til now! Costes came to me and that was it! It would be nice year-round, it's a light, incensy woody perfume, dry, a little sweet and spicy in the beginning, almost clovey.