Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

on 1/12/2004 9:22:00 PM

Honestly not impressed with this one. Nothing fancy, subtle, and a definite try before you buy. May be better as a parfum de maison (room spray).

A so-so sandalwood, not the best. There is a hint of something that smells almost like licorice or fennel, but without fennel's crispness and brightness, so I presume it's anise. Perhaps a bit of amber. Not obnoxious, fairly subtle, didn't really change during the day. Only lasted about 4 hours. Look elsewhere. Not worth the hype.

I'm so very happy to have a good-sized decant of this via swap - it's a very clean, soapy, spicy sandalwood and I find it pleasantly bracing - a good scent for focusing on something (I'm easily given to daydreaming - the laurel, lavender, and pepper make this scent a promising study buddy, though I'm finding that it sweetens considerably on my skin after a little while, and the sweetness at first contrasts unpleasantly with the intense pine note, and then goes quite incensy. I think comparisons of this to 10 Corso Como are apt - as I mentioned in my review of that one, 10 Corso Como tried to kill me by completely shutting down my respiratory system. Hear that, writers of CSI? Let's have a dead-perfumista episode! Anyway, Costes is much less violent on me. Still far too intense to put on before bed or for romantic wear, but quite nice in its own way.

on 10/18/2007 2:10:00 PM

I have this and do like it but it does seem to be more of a mans smell especially since my husbands arm and hammer deoderent smells almost exactly the same I keep thinking he put my costes on but he didn't.

on 7/30/2006 6:42:00 PM

As a fragrance this is simply too woody for me without anything feminine in it to tamper it down. It's dry and singular. I much prefer the home fragrance, now that is drool worthy.

on 7/24/2006 2:01:00 AM

FRAGRANCE & THE MOVIES:THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO

In this romantic nostalgic comedy waitress Cecilia (Mia Farrow)drawn her sorrows and feed her dreams watching movies.it's the Depression Years and the male heroes are brave and unbeatablev with the bad guys and kind,suave and tender with the(good)ladies.As Cecilia magically enters into the screen world Jeff Daniels(who plays both the movie hero,with the previews characteristics and the actor who is a total asshole)presents to me the right person to wear this soft woody spice perfume.Gentle and well-bred with just a hint of adventure in the modern world.

on 9/23/2005 1:47:00 PM

Got the chance to sample this today; love the scent, hate the lasting-power, thus a *** lippies only. For that reason only, I won't be buying it.

on 8/3/2005 9:59:00 PM

I really enjoy the Hotel Costes cd series and was hoping this would be up to it's standards. I like Costes, but it strikes me as being a fragrance containing all the olfactory equivalents of qualities a DJ might hope for in people coming to his venue for the night. Firstly, he might like them to be somewhat mysterious and/or interesting, so the incense and spices would fill that requirement. Hopefully, they'd also be bathed and clean, hence the soapy accord with the rose and floral notes. Finally, it wouldn't hurt if they were sexy, which would be where the musk and sandalwood come in. However, what makes a great DJ like Stephane Pompougnac of Hotel Costes, a great chef or a great perfumer is a genius instinct for taking elements used by everyone else and somehow knowing how to add something unexpected or tweak them in such a way that the result is not just good, but original, masterful. Costes' perfumer doesn't have the instincts of Pompougnac. It has all the right ingredients, but it doesn't have that something extra which would elevate it to greatness. However, it's still a perfectly nice fragrance and particularly good for clubbing since it is subtle enough that you'd never end up asphyxiating all in your vicinity.

Got this as an extra from the generous midnightc. It starts out pleasantly with a delicious burst of incense, spice, and sandalwood, reminding me a bit of the CdG incense series (particularly Jaisalmer). Oh, but then that dreadful soapy note makes an appearance and ruins the whole thing. *sigh* Perhaps an option for those who would like a very soft, clean, unobtrusive version of incense/sandalwood/spice. Alas, it's too wimpy for me. And the lasting power is truly wretched...*poof* gone after 2 hours.

on 2/15/2005 7:25:00 PM

Costes reminds me of L'Artisan Safran Troublant, except the drydown becomes soapy, and the lasting power isn't the best. Safran Troublant is a warm spicy scent whereas Costes is a cold spicy scent. If you're a lover of spicy scents, you should definitely give this a try. I probably wouldn't own a bottle but will always have a decant handy.