Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I really enjoyed this fragrance (thanks Razzy!) It's the first scent I have tried that has a truly beautiful lavender top note that doesn't smell like air freshener. Costes is a lovely blend of lavender, woods and soapy spices on me, with a touch of rose mixed in. (There is some incense, but it is very light.) It's a lovely mellow, spicy scent to wear in the autumn. I can't give it full marks though, because it only lasted 3 hours on me. Still, definitely worth looking for a decant!

on 9/23/2005 1:47:00 PM

Got the chance to sample this today; love the scent, hate the lasting-power, thus a *** lippies only. For that reason only, I won't be buying it.

on 9/19/2005 9:52:00 PM

Oh my I love Costes, I just received a very generous decant of this from Gumibear, and I just put it on after taking a nice shower, this is refreshing,clean, woodsy and incensy... beautiful and somewhat mysterious fragrance!

on 8/25/2005 11:54:00 AM

I love this fragrance,it reminds me of autumn my favorite season.It is rather sweet but also a bit spicy or maybe a little masculine,so I am not sure if I would purchase a bottle for myself.I think I prefer it as a home scent,linen spray and candle for the cool weather months. I could imagine taking the candle and spray to a lakeside mountain chalet.Very fitting.

on 8/3/2005 9:59:00 PM

I really enjoy the Hotel Costes cd series and was hoping this would be up to it's standards. I like Costes, but it strikes me as being a fragrance containing all the olfactory equivalents of qualities a DJ might hope for in people coming to his venue for the night. Firstly, he might like them to be somewhat mysterious and/or interesting, so the incense and spices would fill that requirement. Hopefully, they'd also be bathed and clean, hence the soapy accord with the rose and floral notes. Finally, it wouldn't hurt if they were sexy, which would be where the musk and sandalwood come in. However, what makes a great DJ like Stephane Pompougnac of Hotel Costes, a great chef or a great perfumer is a genius instinct for taking elements used by everyone else and somehow knowing how to add something unexpected or tweak them in such a way that the result is not just good, but original, masterful. Costes' perfumer doesn't have the instincts of Pompougnac. It has all the right ingredients, but it doesn't have that something extra which would elevate it to greatness. However, it's still a perfectly nice fragrance and particularly good for clubbing since it is subtle enough that you'd never end up asphyxiating all in your vicinity.

on 7/22/2005 2:35:00 PM

Gorgeous French perfume with predominant wood and incense notes. I smell lavender in the top notes, which gives it a fresh, intriguing quality (some may call it 'soapy'). The drydown is a warm, musky rose mixed with sandalwood. It's moody and mysterious, which is how I like my perfumes, and pretty much everything else.

on 6/11/2005 9:31:00 AM

Costes sample came to me through a miraculous turn of events involving Luckyscent. For weeks preceding its arrival, I had this scent in my nose... I went through all my perfumes trying to figure out what it was because I was in dire need of wearing it. Well it didn't exist in my collection, that's for sure. Til now! Costes came to me and that was it! It would be nice year-round, it's a light, incensy woody perfume, dry, a little sweet and spicy in the beginning, almost clovey.

on 5/13/2005 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE this scent, I just got a full bottle and I can see myself actually using it it up. It's so unique. It starts of a little spicy, warm, and woodsy, and turns into a clean soap scent on a background of soft woods. This scent evolves throughout the day, and smells different on different days, for some reason. I normally don't like spicy scents but this one is so addictive and more importantly, wearable. My only complaint is that the bottle comes in a dabber instead of a spray. I can't get enough of this. I can see myself wearing this year round!

Costes
is a highly woody fragrance with a smoky incense accord. It has some
lovely spice notes, including strong coriander and white pepper which
along with a very pleasant rose note makes up that soapy accord some
here of the reviews are mentioning. I am one that likes this soapy
accord, which separates Costes from the rest of the incense fragrance
pack. I also find that it balances Costes out nicely. Costes is so
much better than Diptyque’s L’Eau and shares very little
similarity with it besides rose and spices. And Costes is much less
cloying and harsh than L’Eau. The musk note in the dry down is
also very noticeable and pleasant. It does reminds me a little of a
much more wearable version of Diptyque’s Essence of John
Galliano. Another mentioned its similarity to Comme des Garcons
Jaisalmer, but I find that it’s different enough to warrant
owning both. The only problems I can find with Costes is that it
doesn’t have the projection that I usually prefer in an
incense-based fragrance, and it could last a little longer, but its
lasting power is still pretty good. I like it.

Notes:
coriander seed, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk,
rose, sandalwood

continued >>

I just LOVE this! I got a large decant from a friend and am ashamed to say I stuck it in my sample box for a few months. The dog knocked the box off the shelf yesterday morning and the bottle rolled out. I was in a hurry so I picked it up and spritzed it about a dozen times. By the time I got to the car I was in incense heaven. Clean, soft lady like incense at that. Lasting power was about 4 hours. When I got home needless to say this went on the shelf with the other regulars and got worn to bed last night. Could still smell it on my pillow and night shirt when I got up. Dreamy sandalwood and soap and spices. Mmmm.

Popular Fragrances