MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown

MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown
Matte - Charcoal BrownMatte - Charcoal Brown

4.6

on 4/4/2009 10:22:00 AM

This just fell flat on me as an eyeshadow. I haven't used it as a brow powder...if my brows were that color I probably would have used it for that. I swapped it away because the color fell flat on me NC20/NC25 for reference. It is a great formula, just not a great brown for us warmer toned girls. IMHO.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I purchased Charcoal Brown to fill in my eye brows. I found that cork was just slightly too dark, and Charcoal Brown is slightly lighter than cork. CB is still too dark, so I'm on to try couquette.

on 1/11/2009 2:00:00 AM

I purchased this exclusively for my brows. This blends really nicely and evenly into my eyebrows making them look fuller (which i love) without looking unnatural. I use this also as a crease shadow and it looks great IMO. (oh i'm NC30).

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is truly a staple of mine and has been for many many years. This matte color first of all is perfect for filling in my super dark brown brows for a natural look. No hint of red which is often the case with so many browns. Also this looks great used in the crease. I love to pair it with Ricepaper or Naked Lunch. It pairs nicely with Shroom too. Recently I have been using it wet as an eyeliner. It delivers the definition that black does, but without the harshness of black. This is one product that I will use until the end of time!!

on 6/2/2008 12:49:00 AM

I use this for my brows. As a reference, I have dark black hair. I love this E/S for my brows! It isn't too dark, a fear of mine because I hate it when people's eyebrows look to severe, and it is pretty neutral. It doesn't have any redness to it which is a common quip I have when looking for color to match my hair. And it surprisingly has pretty staying power on my kind of oily skin.

I use this for my brows, I stays on for pretty much the whole day and it matches with my own hair colour. I don't really use it as an eye shadow because it is so matte and sometimes a bit hard to blend (i use mac brushes as well).

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

A bit of a blah brown colour IMO. It is very matte and I have found it hard to apply evenly. I have tended to use it more like an eyeliner with a small brush along the lower lash line. It's also good for shading my eyebrows. I much prefer a neutral shadow with a bit more depth and maybe a slight shimmer or frost.

on 3/15/2008 2:08:00 PM

What a great brown through and through. What I love about this is that it isn't ridiculously reddish or blueish, it really is a solid brown, the first one I have ever found. I don't know if 'charcoal brown' is the right way to describe it, as that is a little bit of a darker connotation. I would call it 'wheat brown' or something like that.
But most of all, like all other shades that look "boring" in the pan, this makes your actual eyes look amazing.

A very good brow shader, but I disagree with some that it's a boring shadow. I really like it with neutral pink shades, and I think it adds a lot to any look without being too *showy*. The only problem with using a shadow as a shader is that it can be too powdery and end up elsewhere besides where you need it to go.

on 2/6/2008 2:06:00 PM

This gets a 5 for the shade, and a 2.5 for the formula. I'm violating mathmatics to make that average a score of 4.
I LOVE the color of Charcoal Brown--it's that indespensible neutral that seems to pair so well with so many other things. Perfect crease shade. Lots of pigment too. Unfortunately, I find this very difficult to work with. I wear UDPP as a base and I can't blend this shade to save my life--it always looks choppy. If I don't use UDPP I fare a little better, but then my e/s fades away and looks bad mid-way through the day. Eyeshadows that are aces have to blend well over UDPP--sorry, but that's the rule. Besides, it can be done, so I'm spending my time with the ones who can, and do.
I have this problem with pretty much all MAC mattes. If they ever upgrade this to the Matte2 formula, I would be loving and loyal. Until then, this one is moldering away in my stash. Such a shame.