Aubrey Organics Green Tea Hair Treatment Shampoo

Aubrey Organics Green Tea Hair Treatment Shampoo

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water (Deionized), Coconut Oil (Corn Oil Soap), Green Tea Extract (Organic), Green Tea (Organic), Nettle (Organic), Grain Alcohol (Natural), Aloe Vera (Organic), Carrageenan, Lemon Peel Oil (Organic), Almond Protein, Blue Camomile Oil (Organic), Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

So far I'm pretty impressed. I suffer from an oily,oily scalp, but with super dry ends. My hair needs to be washed EVERYDAY no question. I alternate and use this one every 3 days. To be able to find an all natural shampoo that lathers well, really cleans, doesn't smell god awful, and leave it shiny, this is a winner I'll keep in my bathroom.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hair gets so oily that I have to wash it daily. Another concern is hairloss which. Shampoos that controlled oil led to more hairloss and hairloss controlling shampoo didn't help the oil. I have been using this shampoo for about 2 weeks now and I am so pleased. It rinses super clean but doesn't dry out my hair. It is very concentrated so a little goes a long way.

After 24 hours, my scalp is still clean! I've gone a day and a half without washing and don't feel like the usual greasy mess. I'm hoping that regular use will eventually allow me to wash my hair every other day. 1 day and a half seems to be my limit right now. And the best part? I'm losing less hair!

I'm reviewing the Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo, which I'll shorten to GTCS.

I'll agree with Aubrey that this shampoo is "fast acting." It rinses the grease away in no time and is a good product to use when short on time b/c the rinsing part is unbelievably quick.

What I won't agree with is it "reduces drying time" as stated on the US-version bottle. My hair took a very long time to dry if no conditioner is used (the norm for me).

I really loved GTCS and used it consistently for about a year b/c it's hard to find a clarifying shampoo that lives up to its claim. My hair felt clean and looked on the dry side--exactly what I want! I don't like clarifying shampoos that make my hair look and feel unwashed.

But during that time I started to notice on my no-shampoo days that my scalp was persistently itchy. I thought that was normal due to the build-up of oil so I ended up using GTCS again to get rid of the grease, but the itchiness always came back. (Perhaps subconsciously I did suspect this shampoo as the culprit, but b/c I loved its cleansing power so much I could never bring myself to search for another clarifying shampoo.)

Finally I had a revelation as to what caused the itchiness when a new bottle of GTCS was opened. This particular bottle was stored away for several months and the shampoo inside looked and smelled different from the previous ones I'd bought. Although the colour was deep brown and the smell was pungent, I still used it b/c there was no other clarifying shampoo on hand plus I didn't know of any other reliable alternatives in drugstores or health food stores. Also I didn't think anything bad could happen.

After every usage my scalp was extremely itchy right away. A point was reached where I had to abandon this bottle of shampoo even though my scalp desperately needed a deep cleanse.

I've concluded that if a rancid bottle of GTCS could make my scalp itch on level 10, then it's very reasonable for me to believe it was the fresh bottles of GTCS that gave me the persistent level-5 itch.

Anyway, I've stopped using this shampoo for several months now. My scalp is not as itchy as it once was, but it does get itchy when my hair's not been washed (that was the norm for me before using GTCS).

Not surprisingly I don't recommend this product, but if you're still interested try buying a bottle that's as fresh as possible, preferably from iherb.com since their inventory turnover rate is very high. There's no expiration date stamped on Aubrey's bottles so you'll have no clue how fresh the shampoo is in-store.

Another tip is the colour of the shampoo: if it's caramel or light yellowish-brown, it's fresh. But since all Aubrey shampoos and conditioners have a safety-seal and the bottle's not see-through, this little tip won't matter if you're buying it in-store.

Ingredients: DEIONIZED WATER, COCONUT OIL-CORN OIL SOAP, ORGANIC GREEN TEA EXTRACT (ORGANIC GREEN TEA, ORGANIC NETTLE, NATURAL GRAIN ALCOHOL), ORGANIC ALOE VERA, CARRAGEENAN, ORGANIC LEMON PEEL OIL, ALMOND PROTEIN, ORGANIC BLUE CAMOMILE OIL, AUBREY'S PRESERVATIVE (CITRUS SEED EXTRACT, VITAMINS A, C, and E).

on 7/2/2010 1:00:00 AM

I bought this in Feb., and it is now one of my favorite shampoos! I rotate this with 2 others (Say Yes to Carrots Tomato shampoo & KMF Big Body, both of which I LOVE as well). I have oily roots, and it does a fantastic job of cleansing without stripping, leaving my hair soft & shiny. I love the natural herbal scent, too. It lathers VERY well. I will definitely repurchase!

on 5/30/2010 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I use this as required as a clarifying shampoo. It works WONDERFULLY for that. It strips hair of all oils, build up, dirt, and scalp debris - preparing the hair for a rich deep conditioning treatment, and leaving hair shiny and bouncy. I highly recommend following cleansing with a very rich, moisture based conditioner.

I wet my hair, rinsing debris off for a few minutes under warm water. Then I squirt a very small liquidy amount - maybe a teaspoon - into my palm. I lather in my hand, then apply at the bottom of my hair. It lathers very easily, and the lather quickly travels to my scalp. If it doesnt lather, I just dip my head in the water a bit more, and this works great. I rarely need to later twice with this. It rinses clean and my hair is sqeaky, dry feeling, and tangled - the way it always feels after clarifying my normal hair. However, its ready to soak up whatever I put on it next.

I typically follow up with the following conditioners: AO Honeysuckle Rose, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Deeper Moisture, or the Green Tea Finishing Rinse. The GT Finishing Rinse is an excellent hydrator and detangler, and gives great shine, but doesnt moisturize as well. I recommend people find the best combo for their individual hair types.

I previously used Jonathan Detox Dirt Vegan and Sulfate Free Shampoo ($22), Pantene Pro-V Clarifying ($4), and Trader Joe's Nourish Shampoo ($3) to clarify. All of those are good shampoos too, but so far, I like Aubrey Green Tea ($8) the best and probably will not repurchase the others unless I must as a backup. I love the ingredients, love the results, love the smell, and its a compliment to the rest of my beauty routine.

Highly recommended!

on 5/30/2010 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I love this shampoo! It saved my hair. I was using l'oreal elvive range prior to using this which is laden with chemicals. It caused me massive hair loss but this shampoo saved my hair :) I massage coconut oil into my scalp as pre-cleanse 2-3 times a week and mixture of jojoba oil + castor oil + lavender oil + rosemary oil once a week as treatment. And this clarifying shampoo does it's job well removing the oils from my scalp :) This combo definitely reduced my hair loss tremendously. I see how it might leave hair feeling like straw to some but unless if you have oily scalp, this would help a lot :) This product has some herbal smell, the consistency is watery and the colour is clear brown. Oh, it also doesn't lather as well as the chemical shampoos but I'm fine with it :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This shampoo is a must if you have oily hair or use a lot of styling products. The other reviewers have covered most everything, including the herbal smell and liquidy consistency. From my experience, it should not be used more than once a week because it does such a super job of clarifying. It leaves my hair kind of tangly and strawlike, but it's not a problem since I always follow up with a conditioner. I will continue to purchase this shampoo because it does what it claims and is all natural. 4.5 lippies

on 4/10/2010 12:59:00 AM

I have been on a hunt for shampoos that don't contain SLS or ALS. This one has a watery consistency, there's nothing bad about the smell, easy to lather, rinses clean, left a grabby hair feel when wet, but shiny smooth hair feel after drying. It does clean out oily scalp to a decent degree without being too drying. The soaping ingredient in this product is coconut oil/soap. I haven't tested its pH level yet; I hope it's not basic.

on 12/28/2009 6:06:00 PM

This is a very liquidy brownish-greenish shampoo with a funky herbal tea scent. It also lathers up a ton. It takes some work (due to how dense the lather is), but it rinses cleanly and leaves hair clean but not stripped. I don't think this does a better or worse job at deep-cleaning than most other clarifying shampoos out there, but I love the completely natural ingredients (everything is recognizable) and fair price. I'd definitely repurchase this.

I think this is my HG shampoo. It has natural ingredients and does a great job of cleaning hair! I have oily hair that usually gets weighed down with cones and gets greasy really easily. This shampoo lathers up pretty well for a natural shampoo. It does look a bit scary - it is a brown watery liquid with an herbal like smell. The smell doesn't stay. I've also tried the GPB shampoo (which i strongly disliked). This one I like so much that I bought 2 extra bottles when I saw them on sale - and I never rebuy shampoo!! Leaves my hair clean (but not squeaky clean) - just what a shampoo should do! I use this everyday and it doesn't seem to dry my hair out.

Popular Shampoos