Alberto VO5 detangle and shine spray

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/21/2006 12:12:00 PM

Decent product as far as accompanying my Frizz Ease conditioner, but it's nothing special. I grabbed this when I left my HG FE Leave-In at home and it served its purpose but it just can't compare. Oh, well, it's cheap anyway and kept the frizz to a minimum.

on 8/13/2005 6:02:00 PM

I decided to try this because another reviewer said it was very similar to Ouidad Botanical Boost. I thought it was a very ordinary and average detangler, no better than Suave's Detangling Spray. And the scent is truly gag inducing. I had to look very hard to find this, and I suspect that it has been discontinued and replaced by the Miracle Mist conditioning spray (one of the new products in the red packaging). That's just a guess though.

It does an okay job with detangling and providing shine but the smell is just absolutely awful (it is way too strong for my liking).

I got this on sale for about $2 at Rite-Aid. It is a decent detangler, and made my hair shiny, but I can't stand the smell!! It's this weird fruity-floral thing, a bit hard to describe. For that reason, I don't think I'll buy it again.

on 7/23/2011 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I see their are mixed reviews here. I personally like this. I was in the supermarket and noticed not a lot of companies still do the spray leave in conditioners. I remember in the 90's every brand seemed to have one. I grabbed Alberto Vo5 because it's so cheap. I think it's not the best out there but it still works very good. I do have to spritz a lot in to get the best results (12-15 pumps of spray). My hair is very thick, color treated, dry, long past bra strap and has the annoying texture of straight AND wavy with a whole lot of frizz. I spray this on before I brush and blow dry. I feel that it does a good job detangling but a mediocre job at providing shine (I have to add a different product for more shine). I like the scent of this and feel this is nice for people who are sensitive to scents. Obviously, you need to use a regular conditioner in the shower because this, imo is a very light conditioner. I rate this a 4 because it's a good product for the price. However, I think I when I run out of this, I wil search for a better one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really liked this product when I first bought it, but I think my hormones have changed since then, and it's just not enough for my gnarly hair anymore.

It's great for detangling and adding extra softness to the ends of your hair, but it's not a stand alone conditioner. I still need to use a traditional conditioner in the shower, and then I can use this in addition to that.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Overall a great product! I am ALWAYS looking for leave-in's as my hair is finally getting back to normal after years of wear and tear with numerous types of extensions and bleaching/coloring. It is fine, long and color treated so I tend to get split ends and tangles very easy. My hair itself is pretty shiny looking but I wanted a gentle detangler. This does the job nicely without making my hair greased out and limp. The scent lingers but it is pretty nice and fresh smelling. My hair is very soft and smooth feeling after styling - however like others I haven't noticed too much of a difference in the shine department. All in all I like it and would repurchase it!

i switched to this spray after my dove in the blue bottle was discontinued. it does a very good job in detangling my hair.( my hair is very light blonde, and very dry from being color-treated) also i think the smell is great. however i havent noticed any difference in the shine of my hair. i did not purchase it for that reason. but as for detangling it does an awesome job. best part , not tested on animals!

on 12/29/2007 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've found that all leave-ins work basically the same, so usually I just find whatever is the cheapest. I chose this one because it's one of the few drugstore brands that does not test on animals, and I'm fairly happy with it.
It comes in a red-and-white shiny spray bottle. I mist it all over my hair when I don't want to pull and tug at my hair and it feels particularly tangled, or I spray it directly on a knot. It does a decent job of detangling. I don't notice any extra shine or conditioning, but it delivers what you pay for.
My only real complaint is the smell: it's a hairspray-ish scent that reminds me exactly of Pantene shampoos and conditioners. This is NOT a good thing, because I can't stand the awful ingredients and fillers companies like Pantene use. Furthermore, the scent actually lasts and I'll catch little whiffs of it throughout the day.
This was okay, but I'm not interested in repurchasing.

on 12/21/2007 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

As a detangler, this product is just so-so. However, as static-preventer, it's great. I spray it on my damp hair and have noticed a major difference in winter static when I use this. It doesn't last long, though. I wash my hair every other day, and by the 2nd day, the static is back. It works great for that first day, though. On the 2nd day, I use Neutrogena Triple moisture Silk Touch Leavin-in Cream and my hair is great. No more winter frustrations thanks to these two products.

Popular Styling Products