Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

Johnson & Johnson Purpose Cleanser

4.3

Water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Tetrasodium EDTA. [7/30/15]

on 11/8/2007 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've repurchased this several times already and have only just recently gotten around to giving this a review. This was great and I've used it for a few years in conjunction with Cetaphil and Lush Ultrabland. Random assortment, I know. Sometime last year I cut Purpose out of the equation, thinking that it was too harsh (not sure why??) and opted for Lush because it was more natural.
Lately, I've noticed that my skin (which is milky white with freckles, I used to get compliments from strangers, no joke) was looking quite lackluster. Redness, oily (which never has happened before.) I'm a social smoker so at first I was like, "sh*t, it's caught up with me!" I've never had problem skin but things were just looking... unclean. I'm at the drugstore, looking at my options, and I just grabbed this. A couple days later and my skin is looking much better. It really "cleans" your skin, and I think Cetaphil just doesn't remove makeup as well. Just as gentle, and even more inexpensive, I think this stuff is grossly underrated.
Also, I have to agree with the other reviewers: the packaging is balls. I even put in a ziploc when I travel, but it gets EVERYWHERE and you have to wash the bottle off and water gets in a dilutes the product... anyway, I bought another bottle for travel. We should all write to J&J and complain! Haha.

on 10/30/2007 1:13:00 PM

This is the only facial cleanser that is gentle enough for my sensitive skin. It has a very mild smell, does not dry out my skin or leave a film. It washes away mascara well, and you don't have to use a lot at a time. Some people have mentioned the packaging...doesn't bother me until it comes time to travel. I just squirt some in a plastic travel size squeeze bottle and I'm all set. No frills, but the stuff works.

on 9/26/2007 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have dry, sensitive skin and mild rosacea ....along with allergies ...and I break out with some products. I have no problems at all with this cleanser though--Love it!.

on 7/24/2007 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! I use it to cleanse my face at night because it washes off my makeup easily, leaves that clean feeling that I love, and it doesn't have freakin' Jessica Simpson as its spokesmodel!

This stuff is great because it doesn't do anything except for what its supposed to do. It won't make me look younger, give me a soft glow, or promise anything. It cleans my face.

The packaging leaves much to be desired though if you are expecting to use it in the shower. At some point, water gets inside the bottle and starts diluting the product. For a while I thought I was never going to finish the bottle, but it was just more water. Keep in on the sink or put it in a different container.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love that this does not dry my skin but leaves it feeling "cleaner" than Cetaphil does. The foam is really nice and it removes makeup well. HG cleanser!

on 6/4/2007 7:19:00 PM

Sometimes companies (i.e. Origins) put a plethora of exotic ingredients into their products to make them sound more luxurious or worthwhile. Whatever happened to keeping things basic? Mo' ingredients, mo' problems. That's my motto & i'm sticking with it ;) Purpose Cleanser is amazing! It gently cleanses, washes away makeup, and keeps my skin clear and that makes me a very happy girl. While I admit to straying for more glamorous face washes I always return to this tried and true product. It foams, but not too much & it doesn't strip away moister. To me this is a perfect product. I say let the cleanser do it's job, and cleanse...save all the antioxidants, oils, etc. for creams. I'd also like to note that this product does not have any ingredient that clears skin such as benzoyl peroxide, but I find that this keeps my skin very clear by eliminating dirt and oil from my face, while being gentle. I searched for the miracle acne cleanser for a long time, but nothing worked. I use Purpose twice a day, followed by Paula's Choice 1% BHA a few nights a week, followed by Complex 15 cream, keihl's eye balm and maybe some zap zyt if I feel one coming on. I have very pale, sensitive skin and of course this routine isn't for everyone. I spent thousands, (yes sadly, thousands) of dollars and countless frustrated hours trying and tossing product after product. This is like a magic potion that I will NEVER be without!!!.

UPDATE: THIS WAS PERFECT IN MY TEEN YEARS, BUT THEN IN MY EARLY 20'S THIS DRIED MY SKIN OUT SOMETHING WICKED. I SWITCHED TO BOSCIA GEL CLEANSER AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER, THINK THIS IS FOR BABY SKIN ;D

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This review is for the liquid Purpose cleanser, not the bar. I have oily, acne-prone skin for which I use 10% BP after cleansing. I wanted a mild cleanser, because anything harsh will cause my skin to get very dry, especially overnight, a la Basis Cleaner Clean. I really like Bliss Steep Clean, which is wonderful, but the price is also steep. Purpose meets all of my requirements nicely: it is gentle and does not contain parabens, which is why I did not want Cetaphil. Purpose has not stung my eyes at all. My face gets very clean but has never been dried out after using it. The price is great and I like the pump dispenser. Unfortunately, I have not seen this item in any of my local drugstores or grocery stores. (I hope it does not get d/c'ed!) I ordered it from drugstore.com. So far, I would definitely buy it again.

on 5/8/2007 1:12:00 PM

This is a dependable cleanser. Gentle yet strong enough to remove the day's accumulation of dirt and oil on your skin. Glycerin is the main ingredient as opposed to SLS. The price is phenomenal. However, if you leave the bottle in the shower, water does tend to seep in and make the cleanser watery after a few weeks.

on 4/30/2007 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My dr recommended this several years ago, I quit using it when I started with the Principal regimes. WHen I went off those to others cleansers toners etc. somehow I just never got back. I got tired of my face still breaking out (I'm 46!) and saw the purpose bar in the grocery store and thought I would try it again. I've been using it for a month and now have a routine where the make up comes off every night - I was bad about not washing off the minerals you can sleep in... :( Between this and the prescriptives moisturizer my face is the best it has been in years! At first the medicine smell of the bar was not very pleasant but it fades quickly. It can leave my face a little dry at times, but no flakes or breakouts. Will definitely keep buying - esp at the price! I can also see this bar of cleanser lasting a long time in a month I would guess I have washed away only a 1/4 of the bar.
PS If you get it in your eyes it really stings.

on 4/10/2007 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

love it! gentle and good for people with acne that use acid treatments. we need mild cleansers. i think cleansers for acne are worthless, they aren't in contact with your skin long enough to be effective unless you let them sit for a couple of minutes which i did but i think it makes more sense to use a gentle cleanser and then use acne treatments. but that's just me. UPDATE: this is still a good cleanser but it's quite drying. and my skin is hard to dry out.

Popular Face Skincare Products