John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler
Joh Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

4.1

Soo glad a friend of mine who is also obsessed with all natural hair care recommended this as a conditioner as honestly I would have never thought to buy it since I thought it was a leave-in. I already love John Masters products and use many of them for my skincare which I have switched to only natural items as well. This conditioner isn't the typical heavy mask (gel cream like consistancy) I am used to but honestly I just love all the amazing ingredients and really feel it over time does soo much for your scalp and hair. I use this with my Enjoy SLS Free Hydrating Shampoo and my hair is in amazing shape. I also love that this is so slim and great for travel and can double as a leave-in cream if I need to. Also smells amazing and really is worth the price and will last as long as you don't go crazy using half the bottle trying to get this to be a deep conditioning mask as yes it's super light but I jsut alternate between this and my HG Macadamia Nut Oil Deep Repair Masque throughout the week. I have tried so many different natural shampoos and conditioners and it is definitely not easy finding something natural that also delivers results, but this Conditioner is definitely one of the best. WIll never go back to using chemicals/silicones on my face or hair again! :)

on 8/5/2010 2:40:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a very nice conditioner/detangler. Smells lovely - citrusy light, natural formula (no bad chemicals), doesn't wear your hair down, makes it shiny and silky. Also, I use it as a detangler on kids which is great - no safety concerns and works like magic!! Will buy again. The only con - it's pricey. Lasted me 2+ months but I don't wash my hair every day.

on 7/13/2010 5:25:00 PM

just used this for the first time today and received complements from a couple coworkers. i have long, thick, wavy/curly, filipino hair and i used this as a leave-in conditioner/styling creme. i have been wanting to switch to an all natural regimen and this can replace my bumble & bumble styling creme, which costs more anyway. great find!!!

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is a very nice leave-in conditioner that also works well as a rinse-out. Just a little bit of it through my ends keeps my thick, normal-to-dry hair soft and tangle-free. It's very lightweight and doesn't make my hair look greasy, which I appreciate. If you have very dry hair, it may not be enough on its own. I find myself reaching for a deep conditioner every now and then when my hair gets dry, but for everyday this is a great product, especially in the summer when it's humid. It's pricey, yes, but it only takes a dab to detangle my hair so it should last me awhile.

Bonus points: it smells delicious. Like a light, slightly citrusy herbal smell. Yum.

on 1/13/2010 2:11:00 PM

This worked wonders the first time I used it but now that I'm half way done with the bottle, I seem to have a lot of build up. I use it in the shower and as a leave in on my ends so perhaps I'm overdoing it somewhere. I plan to lighten up and be more diligent about my once weekly vinegar rinse. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

First off, I'm head over heels with the scent. Neroli to me is a sweet uplifting I never get tired of. Though the real reason why I adore this is that it makes detangling a breeze. I always detangle my wet hair with a comb before styling so having good slip is a must. It also doubles as a leave in for my thick coarse curly hair which then I layer my gel or stylers. I prefer to use it mostly as a leave-in versus a conditioner since it can be pricey for the volume of hair I possess to just rinse it out after.
It keeps my hair mosturized and clumps my curls well. I don't get the straw like or frizz that can result from protein. For most coarse hair, protein can do this. I'm guessing that it's a more gentle protein from plant origins. Then back to the smell, it will lightly lingers in hair if left in. Sometimes it makes strangers ask what I'm wearing. Love this stuff, wish they sold it in a bigger size : )

on 12/4/2009 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This works very well on my hair. My hair is a couple inches longer than shoulder length and fine. I had very dry damaged hair for a long time. Last year I switched to only using al John Masters Organics shampoos and conditioners and my hair hasn't looked this healthy and shiny in years. On the days I don't deep condition I use the detangler as a leave in conditioner and it's magical. You don't need a lot though. If you put on too much it will weigh your hair down and make it look a little greasy . Overall I love it and I will definetly be buying again!

on 10/22/2009 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My hair: fine strands, but thick in quantity. Straight, mid-length. Coloured every couple of months, washed every two to three days, blow-dried three times a week, briefly flat-ironed a couple of times a week (for cow's lick/double crown control rather than actual straightness). Sensitive scalp, prone to dermatitis. My hair is in good condition but "sensitised" by processing and is also responsive to life stuff - ill health and prescription medication.

I've been using this product on and off for over a year and have attempted to review it before, but my opinion on it has oscillated during that time and I found it tricky to pin down. It's an aesthetically pleasing and cosmetically elegant conditioner - lightweight, with an almost gel-like texture (thanks, I guess, to the aloe vera gel base) and a beautiful fragrance which alone makes it incredibly pleasant and uplifting to use. Its excellent slip makes it easy to spread and distribute. Although many botanical ingredients irritate my skin and scalp, I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to this. So far so good.

However, once the happy shower experience is over, I've had varying results. Initially, I was hoping for a "where have you been all my life?" moment with this conditioner. I was disappointed. I first used it when my hair was going through a very rare damaged, brittle phase following a colour error/colour stripper/re-colouring incident at the salon. I needed a light conditioner that performed more like an intensive one for regular use that contained some protein. This didn't fulfil its potential on any of those fronts, left a greasy residue and managed to tangle my normally tangle-resistant hair. I tried it again six months or so later when my hair was no longer damaged but was drier through the lengths/ends. This time round I found that as an occasional treatment it works nicely to moisturise and reinforce - plus gives a nice shine, pretty smell etc. On the other hand regular use provides more protein than my hair needs, dries it out and renders it dull, since the rest of the ingredients aren't sufficiently moisturising to combat the effects of the protein. As a leave-in it makes my fine, straight hair strangely wavy and flyaway. I can envisage this working well for people with coarse and/or damaged hair, and as a good leave-in for waves or curls, in addition to another conditioner that offers more hardcore moisture. I'm giving this lippies for its consistency and wonderful scent, for the effects it does give (however occasionally) and because I support the ethos of the brand. I'm not sure I'd repurchase - although I like having it to hand, the UK price is a lot for me to invest in something that doesn't outperform all its rivals. If you can get a sample, I urge you to try this, and a trial/travel size is also available. Ingredients can be accessed by clicking the box next to the product specifics.

UK details: 15.69/236ml (8oz) or 4.25/59ml (approx 2oz), lovelula.com. The 236ml bottle is also available at larger Debenhams branches and feelunique.com (free Euro shipping).

on 10/19/2009 5:11:00 PM

I had tried this several years ago and didn't like it but the JM Zinc & Sage Shampoo is a staple for me so I thought I'd dig this out of the closet and try it again. Nope. I have static, my color looks weird and my second-day hair (I usually wash it every three days) is flat flat flat, in spite of using a volumizing mist on it this morning. And for something that is called a detangler rather than a conditioner, it didn't do much to detangle.

on 8/24/2009 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A truly great conditioner. So long as nose/skin not irritated by the scent. On straight-forward performance, the Detangler is a 5 lippie-er; bumped down by 1 for irritation. The formula is almost identical to the Rosemary & Peppermint Detangler--different essential oils, different scent--and both are very similar to the new (2011-05) JMO Bare Unscented Detangler. If you're irritated by the scent in the Citrus & Neroli, or would rather add your own scent to your conditioner, I'd highly recommend the Bare version.

Caveat: on this specific hair - basically normal, will swing towards dry ends/greasy roots if pushed by the wrong product. Fine but thick/dense. Wavy. Mid-back length. Untreated, and usually left to dry naturally.

Having said that: a great conditioner. Easy to use, and can be used as a rinse-out (left on the hair for a couple of minutes, whilst applying in-shower body moisturising oil), as a leave-in, and a dab added to the ends and underside if it's very hot and drying outside. Full of the sorts of goodies my hair seems to like: aloe vera, hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, a lot of oils (jojoba, coconut, sunflower, some borage and flax), plus chamomile, calendula, and horsetail. Decent balance between moisture and protein, which is a rare thing.

Bonus: it smells gorgeous. Citrus and neroli indeed.

Best of all: it works. Hair is detangled and moisturised. In good nick, and stays that way. Feels soft and nice, like hair in good form really. No itching to the scalp or to any surrounding skin. And I'm no longer washing my hair every day to cope with grease, nor doing so or adding more moisture between washes so as to cope with dryness. Indeed, now usually washing it every 2 to 3 days.

One caveat: using this exclusively did dry my hair out after several months - resolved by swapping over to another conditioner every couple of weeks for one wash, then back again (using up old Aveda Brilliant and Phyto 7 this way).

UPDATE [12/2009]: moved over to Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner: works as well as the C&N at its best, doesn't leave hair dry, and is 1/3 of the price. Plus has lovely nostalgic Revlon Flex Balsam smell.

UPDATE [09/2010]: tried it again for a while as a rinse-out, and as a leave-in mixed with other things; alas, skin went into eczematic mode, including over-reaction to many scented products, of this was one. No more lovely citrus and neroli for me. Though neroli oil is one of the few that's OK on my skin...

UPDATE [05/2011]: after using various other unfragranced conditioners, back to JMO and he Bare conditioner, which is the fragrance-free version of the Citrus & Neroli, Highly recommended.

The bad news is the price: CAD 22.00 / USD / EUR 20.00 for a 236 ml bottle. It's a lovely bottle, and not much conditioner is needed, but it is expensive.

Then again: it works, and smells lovely. I for one will pay good money for hair stuff that smells this good, having been seduced by Nexxus Phyto Organics and Aveda; I can never go back to nauseating fake-fruit-bubblegum, ambiguous plastication, and the like.

No animal testing, mostly vegetarian or even vegan products, using organically-grown plant-based ingredients as far as possible.

INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, panthenol (vitamin B5), hydrolyzed soy protein, wheat amino acids, sorbitol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* lecithin, tocopherol, glycerin, citric acid, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil,* citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil,* citrus aurantium dulcis (neroli) flower oil,* canarium luzonicum (elemi) gum nonvolatiles,* cymbopogon shoenanthus (lemongrass) oil,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, arnica montana (arnica) flower extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* foeniculum vulgare (fennel) seed extract,* lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), sulfur
*Certified Organic by EcoCert / QAI
John Masters Organics ingredients and products are never tested on animals. continued >>