John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

4.1

on 10/29/2015 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Impressive as a leave in conditioner and rinse out, although my hair needs a lot. It has good slip and adds softness. It does not drag out my curls or make them feel like there is residue. I will certainly run through a bottle quickly since my hair is long. I like the ingredient list and the fact that this can be found at my local Whole Foods and Ulta.

I used a sample of this and loved it. Then I went out and bought the full size bottle afterwards. Unfortunately it was not for my fine hair. It was great at first, then after a month, my hair started to get greasy and limp.

on 10/19/2012 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have bought this on and off through the years, but always come back to it! I have heavily highlighted blonde hair and use a lot of different products to bring back moisture. i use this only as a leave in because it is not moisturizing enough to use as a regular conditioner. I only use it on the midshaft down and it is great to detangle my dry hair without feeling like it is all snapping off. I have wavy to curly hair and like the way it defrizzes and it also works well with other products (all of my silicone laden ones!). I definitely feel that it is worth a try and I dont find it heavy at all probably because my hair is dry. If you have very fine hair I would definitely try it as a rinse out first. I feel like this serves as a detangling product and styling product in one. I still use other defrizzers and gel, but really dont have to!

on 4/2/2012 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really liked this product. It was too light for me to use as a regular conditioner, but worked amazingly well as a leave in conditioner. When I used it this way, it left my hair super soft and frizz free. I prefer to use unscented products, so I will defintely try the unscented version of this.

on 1/15/2012 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Simply the best conditioner. It makes my hair feel soft and "conditioned," as it should! I pair it with JM Rosemary shampoo, and it always produces great results. My favorite of all of the everyday hair conditioners I've tried, both normal and organic. If you want a deep conditioning treatment, try something stronger. But for everyday use, this is exactly what I need. (I have normal, uncolored hair)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm not usually a fan of natural/organic products...I like the idea of less chemicals and no harsh ingredients but normally am not impressed with the results. I LOVE this conditioner though. It's super lightweight so I alternate it with a deep conditioning treatment, but it still hydrates my hair and leaves it super soft without weighing it down. And I love the smell, it's very refreshing and clean. I got it for $22.50 from the Canadian site ebeauty.ca: http://bit.ly/nVDyfG but I'll definitely look for it next time I'm in the states!

on 1/13/2010 2:11:00 PM

This worked wonders the first time I used it but now that I'm half way done with the bottle, I seem to have a lot of build up. I use it in the shower and as a leave in on my ends so perhaps I'm overdoing it somewhere. I plan to lighten up and be more diligent about my once weekly vinegar rinse. Hopefully that will do the trick.

on 8/24/2009 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A truly great conditioner. So long as nose/skin not irritated by the scent. On straight-forward performance, the Detangler is a 5 lippie-er; bumped down by 1 for irritation. The formula is almost identical to the Rosemary & Peppermint Detangler--different essential oils, different scent--and both are very similar to the new (2011-05) JMO Bare Unscented Detangler. If you're irritated by the scent in the Citrus & Neroli, or would rather add your own scent to your conditioner, I'd highly recommend the Bare version.

Caveat: on this specific hair - basically normal, will swing towards dry ends/greasy roots if pushed by the wrong product. Fine but thick/dense. Wavy. Mid-back length. Untreated, and usually left to dry naturally.

Having said that: a great conditioner. Easy to use, and can be used as a rinse-out (left on the hair for a couple of minutes, whilst applying in-shower body moisturising oil), as a leave-in, and a dab added to the ends and underside if it's very hot and drying outside. Full of the sorts of goodies my hair seems to like: aloe vera, hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, a lot of oils (jojoba, coconut, sunflower, some borage and flax), plus chamomile, calendula, and horsetail. Decent balance between moisture and protein, which is a rare thing.

Bonus: it smells gorgeous. Citrus and neroli indeed.

Best of all: it works. Hair is detangled and moisturised. In good nick, and stays that way. Feels soft and nice, like hair in good form really. No itching to the scalp or to any surrounding skin. And I'm no longer washing my hair every day to cope with grease, nor doing so or adding more moisture between washes so as to cope with dryness. Indeed, now usually washing it every 2 to 3 days.

One caveat: using this exclusively did dry my hair out after several months - resolved by swapping over to another conditioner every couple of weeks for one wash, then back again (using up old Aveda Brilliant and Phyto 7 this way).

UPDATE [12/2009]: moved over to Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner: works as well as the C&N at its best, doesn't leave hair dry, and is 1/3 of the price. Plus has lovely nostalgic Revlon Flex Balsam smell.

UPDATE [09/2010]: tried it again for a while as a rinse-out, and as a leave-in mixed with other things; alas, skin went into eczematic mode, including over-reaction to many scented products, of this was one. No more lovely citrus and neroli for me. Though neroli oil is one of the few that's OK on my skin...

UPDATE [05/2011]: after using various other unfragranced conditioners, back to JMO and he Bare conditioner, which is the fragrance-free version of the Citrus & Neroli, Highly recommended.

The bad news is the price: CAD 22.00 / USD / EUR 20.00 for a 236 ml bottle. It's a lovely bottle, and not much conditioner is needed, but it is expensive.

Then again: it works, and smells lovely. I for one will pay good money for hair stuff that smells this good, having been seduced by Nexxus Phyto Organics and Aveda; I can never go back to nauseating fake-fruit-bubblegum, ambiguous plastication, and the like.

No animal testing, mostly vegetarian or even vegan products, using organically-grown plant-based ingredients as far as possible.

INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, panthenol (vitamin B5), hydrolyzed soy protein, wheat amino acids, sorbitol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* lecithin, tocopherol, glycerin, citric acid, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil,* citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil,* citrus aurantium dulcis (neroli) flower oil,* canarium luzonicum (elemi) gum nonvolatiles,* cymbopogon shoenanthus (lemongrass) oil,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, arnica montana (arnica) flower extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* foeniculum vulgare (fennel) seed extract,* lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), sulfur
*Certified Organic by EcoCert / QAI
John Masters Organics ingredients and products are never tested on animals. continued >>

on 1/11/2009 9:52:00 AM

Found this too light for my coarse and dry hair as a rinse out conditioner but is good as a leave in one - doesnt weigh my hair down leaving it lovely and soft. LOvely smell and would probably repurchase but wouldnt be an absolute necessity if i had a thrifty month.

on 11/23/2008 8:24:00 PM

Oh my stars....this stuff is incredible. I am very impressed. I've been wanting this for a while, but never got around to getting to Whole Foods or Earth Fare to pick it up. Well, I finally did and used it today for the first time. First off, about my hair....I did not have the pleasure of being blessed with fantastic hair. It's okay hair. Why? Basically, it is very fine, very straight and because of years of highlights and other torture treatments, it's also quite fragile and has a tendency to fly away and feel dry. I only use SLS free shampoos & natural conditioners. I find that natural conditioners usually aren't as user-friendly as their chemical counterparts in terms of smoothing hair and making it tangle free. That is...until I tried JM's Citrus & Neroli Detangler. I saw on the bottle that it could be used as a leave-in and because it is Sunday, I figured what the hey....if my hair came out looking icky, I didn't have anywhere to go. So I washed my hair, and squeezed the water out. Then I applied a couple TBSPs to my shoulder length hair and let it sit a couple minutes. Then I did a very quick rinse, leaving most of it in. When I took my towel off and blow dried my hair, I was nothing short of amazed at how soft it was, and how much swing & body it had. That's a miracle for my hair! It doesn't feel coated, heavy or any other thing I hate about bad conditioners. In the shower, it detangled my hair quickly and easily. I absolutely love this stuff. I will try it tomorrow rinsing it all out & see how it does. I know using it as a leave-in was spectacular. Hate the cost (took lippie away for that), but will buy it again as long as it performs! Love, love, love!