John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler
Joh Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

4.1

on 3/3/2009 1:34:00 PM

FANTASTIC!!! this is one conditioner i always buy again and again.
My hair is thick, but only dry on the ends. This conditioner is potent enough to fully condition and smooth my ends, but does not weigh down the rest of my hair like other waxy formulations. It's a miracle! The conditioner smells divine, a very natural non-chemical scent and the product feels like it rinses out well. Highly recommend!

on 3/14/2009 1:01:00 PM

Fantabulas!!! It was the best thing I've ever used on my hair, it made my skelp feel moisturized, and it made my hair feel soft and silky. The smell relaxed me, but made me feel more awake at the same time.
Though it's pretty exspensive, I'd buy this again. I love, love, love it!!

on 3/25/2009 12:01:00 PM

FINALLY! I have FINALLY found a detangler that actually WORKS! Yes, a detangler that REALLY DETANGLES... And a wonderful bonus of a fantastic smell !!!! (Lots of very fine, long, straight, color-treated hair). CanNOT say enough good things about this product...!

on 6/26/2009 11:13:00 AM

I bought this b/c I was looking for a light conditioner that I could use in place of shampoo. I have thick coarse and wavy hair that acts up when washed too frequently. I am following the curly-girl's philosophy here. I have also tried lowpoo and nopoo. I have also had great luck with using lighter drugstore conditioners and they work great, but I am really don't like buying stuff with tons of chemicals, esp parabens and petroleum products. (And don't worry, I still use real shampoo [but still non-SLS] once or twice a week.)

In this "shampooing" capacity, this conditioner worked pretty well. My hair was lightly cleansed and refreshed without being stripped. If you're someone exploring options for using conditioner rather than shampoo a few days of the week, you might consider this option.

The real reason that I don't want to repurchase is that something in here makes my scalp itch. Urgh.

This is a rich by drugstore standards but relatively light by organic conditioner standards (since most are oil based and don't have parabens which means they can't use as much water-based ingredients). I only used it as a rinse-out conditioner but it says that you can leave it in.

on 6/27/2009 10:51:00 PM

In the past I would spend 20 mins or more in the shower brushing out my super long curly hair. Tried tons of detanglers n nothing helped. I use this and at most 5 mins my hair is completely tangle free!!! I love the smell as well! - fresh citrus.

on 7/3/2009 2:28:00 AM

I have really long unusually thick (thin hair but a lot of it) asian hair, past my waist bc I'm growing it out to donate. Anyways, for 2 months I've suffered dry strawish hair and i didn't have a clue why! Turns out I've been using the wrong kind of shampoo (Herbal Essence drama clean bc bf likes using it to get the gunk out of his hair---pure poison it is!) THEN i started reading about the horrors of sulfates and parabens and non ph balanced shampoos and just nasty stuff for your hair. I researched and researched and came upon John Masters. This stuff ain't cheap! But the quality.......it's wonderful to say the least. I could go on...but anyways this detangler is great. It's awesome, it's kickass, it's splendiferous! it has made my hair wonderfully soft and detangles it so well. I use a small amount, warm it up with my hands and smooth it over the hair past my ears and taddah! renewed magical wonderful hair! I use this as a leave in condition, never as a wash out conditioner bc let's face it..it's too expensive to just wash away. Well to me it is, for you it could be a diff. story. I love it. Though the smell isn't that appealing to me, for some reason it sorta smelled like fish food flakes for a brief tiny second on my hair...but I asked other people and they say 'citrusy'..must be me. I guess it smells fine to me, I just like it bc it's a great product :) Oh yeah, my hair regimen now is condition and thoroughly rinse with organic coconut oil 1x weekly, paraben sulfate free shampoo/conditioner (avalon), this daily, John Masters honey hibiscus reconstructing 'poo 1x weekly. Ain't cheap but my long hair feels freaking fantastic!

on 7/9/2009 7:33:00 PM

Went to Whole Foods looking for a no cones (dimethicone, silicone, etc.) conditioner. My hair feels great at first with cone type conditioners, but over time the ends feel like straw. I was using my beloved coconut oil, but you with the summer, it was making my hair too oily. It's difficult to measure out just the right amount of coconut oil each time. The sale assistant at Whole Foods turned me onto the John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler. I have very long hair--fine, but a lot of it. Everything I've been reading says to eliminate "cones" from your conditioner. I was skeptical, but after a few shampoos to get rid of the build-up, this condtioner is working wonders. Soft, healthy looking hair. I use this conditioner as a leave-in treatment. No reason to wash it down the drain especially since it's expensive ($20 or so) for a small bottle. Smells fruity. Wasn't greasy, but was easier to comb than I thought. I am a believer now. No cones for me, ever.

on 8/24/2009 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A truly great conditioner. So long as nose/skin not irritated by the scent. On straight-forward performance, the Detangler is a 5 lippie-er; bumped down by 1 for irritation. The formula is almost identical to the Rosemary & Peppermint Detangler--different essential oils, different scent--and both are very similar to the new (2011-05) JMO Bare Unscented Detangler. If you're irritated by the scent in the Citrus & Neroli, or would rather add your own scent to your conditioner, I'd highly recommend the Bare version.

Caveat: on this specific hair - basically normal, will swing towards dry ends/greasy roots if pushed by the wrong product. Fine but thick/dense. Wavy. Mid-back length. Untreated, and usually left to dry naturally.

Having said that: a great conditioner. Easy to use, and can be used as a rinse-out (left on the hair for a couple of minutes, whilst applying in-shower body moisturising oil), as a leave-in, and a dab added to the ends and underside if it's very hot and drying outside. Full of the sorts of goodies my hair seems to like: aloe vera, hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, a lot of oils (jojoba, coconut, sunflower, some borage and flax), plus chamomile, calendula, and horsetail. Decent balance between moisture and protein, which is a rare thing.

Bonus: it smells gorgeous. Citrus and neroli indeed.

Best of all: it works. Hair is detangled and moisturised. In good nick, and stays that way. Feels soft and nice, like hair in good form really. No itching to the scalp or to any surrounding skin. And I'm no longer washing my hair every day to cope with grease, nor doing so or adding more moisture between washes so as to cope with dryness. Indeed, now usually washing it every 2 to 3 days.

One caveat: using this exclusively did dry my hair out after several months - resolved by swapping over to another conditioner every couple of weeks for one wash, then back again (using up old Aveda Brilliant and Phyto 7 this way).

UPDATE [12/2009]: moved over to Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner: works as well as the C&N at its best, doesn't leave hair dry, and is 1/3 of the price. Plus has lovely nostalgic Revlon Flex Balsam smell.

UPDATE [09/2010]: tried it again for a while as a rinse-out, and as a leave-in mixed with other things; alas, skin went into eczematic mode, including over-reaction to many scented products, of this was one. No more lovely citrus and neroli for me. Though neroli oil is one of the few that's OK on my skin...

UPDATE [05/2011]: after using various other unfragranced conditioners, back to JMO and he Bare conditioner, which is the fragrance-free version of the Citrus & Neroli, Highly recommended.

The bad news is the price: CAD 22.00 / USD / EUR 20.00 for a 236 ml bottle. It's a lovely bottle, and not much conditioner is needed, but it is expensive.

Then again: it works, and smells lovely. I for one will pay good money for hair stuff that smells this good, having been seduced by Nexxus Phyto Organics and Aveda; I can never go back to nauseating fake-fruit-bubblegum, ambiguous plastication, and the like.

No animal testing, mostly vegetarian or even vegan products, using organically-grown plant-based ingredients as far as possible.

INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, panthenol (vitamin B5), hydrolyzed soy protein, wheat amino acids, sorbitol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* lecithin, tocopherol, glycerin, citric acid, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil,* citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil,* citrus aurantium dulcis (neroli) flower oil,* canarium luzonicum (elemi) gum nonvolatiles,* cymbopogon shoenanthus (lemongrass) oil,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, arnica montana (arnica) flower extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* foeniculum vulgare (fennel) seed extract,* lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), sulfur
*Certified Organic by EcoCert / QAI
John Masters Organics ingredients and products are never tested on animals. continued >>

on 10/19/2009 5:11:00 PM

I had tried this several years ago and didn't like it but the JM Zinc & Sage Shampoo is a staple for me so I thought I'd dig this out of the closet and try it again. Nope. I have static, my color looks weird and my second-day hair (I usually wash it every three days) is flat flat flat, in spite of using a volumizing mist on it this morning. And for something that is called a detangler rather than a conditioner, it didn't do much to detangle.

on 10/22/2009 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My hair: fine strands, but thick in quantity. Straight, mid-length. Coloured every couple of months, washed every two to three days, blow-dried three times a week, briefly flat-ironed a couple of times a week (for cow's lick/double crown control rather than actual straightness). Sensitive scalp, prone to dermatitis. My hair is in good condition but "sensitised" by processing and is also responsive to life stuff - ill health and prescription medication.

I've been using this product on and off for over a year and have attempted to review it before, but my opinion on it has oscillated during that time and I found it tricky to pin down. It's an aesthetically pleasing and cosmetically elegant conditioner - lightweight, with an almost gel-like texture (thanks, I guess, to the aloe vera gel base) and a beautiful fragrance which alone makes it incredibly pleasant and uplifting to use. Its excellent slip makes it easy to spread and distribute. Although many botanical ingredients irritate my skin and scalp, I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to this. So far so good.

However, once the happy shower experience is over, I've had varying results. Initially, I was hoping for a "where have you been all my life?" moment with this conditioner. I was disappointed. I first used it when my hair was going through a very rare damaged, brittle phase following a colour error/colour stripper/re-colouring incident at the salon. I needed a light conditioner that performed more like an intensive one for regular use that contained some protein. This didn't fulfil its potential on any of those fronts, left a greasy residue and managed to tangle my normally tangle-resistant hair. I tried it again six months or so later when my hair was no longer damaged but was drier through the lengths/ends. This time round I found that as an occasional treatment it works nicely to moisturise and reinforce - plus gives a nice shine, pretty smell etc. On the other hand regular use provides more protein than my hair needs, dries it out and renders it dull, since the rest of the ingredients aren't sufficiently moisturising to combat the effects of the protein. As a leave-in it makes my fine, straight hair strangely wavy and flyaway. I can envisage this working well for people with coarse and/or damaged hair, and as a good leave-in for waves or curls, in addition to another conditioner that offers more hardcore moisture. I'm giving this lippies for its consistency and wonderful scent, for the effects it does give (however occasionally) and because I support the ethos of the brand. I'm not sure I'd repurchase - although I like having it to hand, the UK price is a lot for me to invest in something that doesn't outperform all its rivals. If you can get a sample, I urge you to try this, and a trial/travel size is also available. Ingredients can be accessed by clicking the box next to the product specifics.

UK details: 15.69/236ml (8oz) or 4.25/59ml (approx 2oz), lovelula.com. The 236ml bottle is also available at larger Debenhams branches and feelunique.com (free Euro shipping).