Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

Advanced Skin Technology Green Cream by AST

4.1

D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue 1

on 5/9/2010 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I actually used Level 6 for some years on the area around my eyes, because although it contained alcohol and sometimes irritated the hell out of my skin, I still liked the tightening and smoothing effect it had on my eye area. I have meanwhile discovered a much more effective product, namely Skinceuticals 1.0 retinol cream, which although stronger than Level 6 is far less irritating and also has much better results in terms of plumping up and smoothing skin. Level 6 used to cause a wierd darkening of the skin around my eyes, like really bad eye circles. I think that was the irritation from the alcohol, because I am not getting that anymore since I've started using Skinceuticals. It is certainly very important to use a retinol product, but there are far better products out there, without irritating ingredients, that are worth the investment.

on 3/17/2010 8:43:00 AM

I had fine lines around my eyes and lips, some breakouts, lots of bumps and blackheads and discoloration due to sun exposure. I have been using GC Level 6 nightly for about a month and love it. My skin is clear! No bumps, no blackheads, no breakouts. It's too soon to tell about the fine lines.

As others have reported this leaves your skin moist but not oily. I apply it every night and have had only very minor peeling on the tip of my nose.

on 1/26/2010 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I first used Green Cream about 7 or 8 years ago, and it was the first real "antiaging" product I'd ever tried. I'd recently read about Green Cream, but I didn't know anything about retinols (or any other biologically active skin care ingredients). I was in my late 30's and I'd decided I needed to start paying attention to the care of my skin. I'd noticed lines beginning between my eyebrows, and I wasn't about to let them stick around without a fight. Back then, my experience with skin care was limited, at best. Basically, for about 25 years, I'd regularly used what I thought of as an all-purpose wash and, if-needed- moisturizer: Noxzema. (Stop snickering, it's really cheap.) During my first couple of years of using Green Cream, I had an extreme love-hate relationship with it. At times, I had quite a bit of uncomfortable and unsightly peeling and drying. Plus, I would get that nasty "crepey eye" problem. This completely defeated the purpose using of an anti-aging product, considering it made me look around 15 years older. However, when regularly using Green Cream (and sucking it up during the Lizard Stages), I eventually always saw very positive results. They were definitely good enough to make me want to figure out how best to make this product work for me. My sudden interest in antiaging had brought with it a complete lack of understanding of the specific synergies of active and inactive ingredients in skincare products. Based on recommendations, blogs, ads, boards, etc. I had learned about BHAs, aspirin masks, toners, etc., and I used them all...including Green Cream. I think I actually created skin irritation and problems for myself, because I'd never heard of "delivery systems", or"skin identical" ingredients. It's so exciting to see real results from an OTC skin care product, that it's tempting to try to use more than really needed, to get accelerated results, and to think that using lots of different products will cover any possible skin issue. I didn't realize it, but I was overapplying Green Cream in an attempt to evenly cover my whole face. Plus, I was using it in conjunction with many products that didn't do well with retinol. I hadn't learned that serums sort of "migrate" into your skin, and too much cream actually inhibits the way the skin responds to retinol. I had applied Green Cream as though it was a typical night-time moisturizer. After trial and error, I learned that I need half the amount of what I already thought was a skimpy squirt! Perfect application for me is one half-pump, (meaning I press the pump about half way down.) A "full" pump, (pushed all the way down) is more than I need for my whole face. Now I use level six every night and I don't get crepes, or flakes, or redness. The Green Cream company says to put a "pea" sized amount over the whole face, and they're not kidding. Green Cream is the most outstanding skin product I've found for improving and maintaining my facial skin. I've alternated usage of it with other OTC retinols for the last several years, in attempts at finding OTC "cosmetics" that had pharmaceutical functions for enhancing skin health. Out of every concoction I've used (Alpha Hydrox - Neutrogena - Paula's Choice -Avene - Philosophy - Skinceuticals, to name a few,) with regular usage, Green Cream, by far, does the most for my skin. I love Dermadoctor's Poetry In Lotion, but it does not work as well as Green Cream for clogged pores and breakouts. Plus, I've found Green Cream to be much gentler than most other OTC retinols I've used (with the exception of Poetry In Lotion). Green Cream absorbs so quickly into my skin I can't even tell I have anything on my face, and it smells and feels soothing and refreshing. Results are noticeable within the first week of applications. I'm 44, with medium skin that tans very easily. This tanning ability always made it easy for me to forget sunscreen, or think I didn't need it. Thanks to "great" tans during the first half of my life, having 3 kids, and living in a sunny climate, without regular usage of retinol and skin exfoliants, my skin now gets blotchy, melasma appears, and my skin can look drawn and sallow. I have a couple of fine lines, but no deep wrinkles, yet, and I want to keep it that way as long as I can. Mostly I try to combat pigmentation problems, fill-in my pores, and prevent further damage. Green Cream makes my skin so smooth and glowy, I don't even need foundation. (Seriously, I don't want to cover up my nice-looking skin!). I do double-takes at my own reflection, because I can't believe how good my skin looks. Green Cream helps my irregular skin pigmentation (melasma, sun spots) to look more even, and makes my skin clear and radiant. These days my skin resembles the skin I so took for granted in my younger days. Green Cream also smooths-over my pores, and it seems to help light spots become less visible. When I was pregnant two years ago, I couldn't use it, but I was surprised to see how quickly it worked to get my skin back into shape after my daughter was born. I had been so worried about the condition of my skin, but Green Cream helped me completely bounce back in about two months. My skin feels soft, and smooth, with absolutely 0 stickiness or oils. I cannot use Green Cream regularly on my neck or around my eyes, so I alternate it with Poetry in Lotion for these areas. Green Cream, unlike anything else I've tried, makes my skin feel "plumped", and more elastic; in a word, younger. It's amazing stuff. Green Cream is reasonably priced. I'd pay more for it, because it truly works for me, but I'm glad GC is still so affordable, esp. because it's unique.

I used this for 2 years building up to level 6 after a few months on level 3. I could never get past the dryness and patches this would create on my face, especially in the winter. I finally decided that the ethanol (alcohol) in this dried my skin barrier too much, so I switched to Skinceuticals .5%. That worked better and is a very effective product without as much irritation. I have now moved to Retin~A .25% 2 to 3x a week and I have no irritation whatsoever, but my skin is as smooth as a baby's bum. Also, on the nights I don't use the Retin~A, I have been applying rosehip seed oil (the formula is evanhealy rose) and that has been a great added boost of clarity! I do think my skin has never looked this good, but I would caution against using retinoids too often, and avoid other actives if you go for the strong stuff : )

on 1/6/2010 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I've been searching diligently for a facial treatment that would clean up my fine lines, dents, and blemishes. With so many products on the market, this becomes very expensive. So, I figured educating myself was the best place to start.

After reading MUA reviews and searching the literature, I found Green Cream Level 6 works best for me. It has a cooling effect when applied and over the course of a few weeks, its effects are noticeable. Fine lines and weird blotches start to diminish and my skin looks and feels smoother. I simply apply this once every evening with no mess or irritation. The retinol in it is really effective on maintaining healthy skin and that it is housed in an aloe based gel is neat since that itself is loaded with amino acids and is very kind to the skin.

I put some of the websites I visited in my notepad in hopes that it will help other folks looking to treat their skin. These sites provide information on vitamins and other compounds that have an effect on skin. I figure an educated consumer makes a better investment without wasting money on useless products.

on 10/13/2009 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Awesome, effective product. Fair priced for what you get. It is used sparingly and lasts a long time. I started with Level 3 and then moved onto Level 6 for about three bottles time. I am now using 6 and 9, alternatively.

This product works!!! The texture of my skin when I use it religiously is fantastic! When I skip it, for example when it was summertime and I laid off of it altogether, my skin really was inferior. Consistency is important.

This product brings clarity, cleans out pores and blackheads, tightens pores, makes skin look plumper and firmer and smooths out fine lines. It helps fade discoloration and really gives the skin vitality. I love this product and am soooo glad I discovered it a couple of years ago.

I will say that if you are not used to retinols, start slowly! Work your way up bit by bit. Start at level 3 if you have sensitive skin, or maybe 6 if you think your skin is a bit more hardy. You may want to start out using it every other night. Go to the message boards for more advice and info at the Green Cream website if you want. I looked over there a lot when I started and it was helpful. Be patient - you WILL see results but there may be an adjustment period at first. Stick it out, be patient and you WILL see awesome results!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Ok so im using level 6 i love it. it literally has saved me from my gross clogged pores. i went on accutane and got off a few months ago and about a month ago my skin started getting really congested :( so i got this and within a few weeks my skin didnt have anymore clogged pores! the only bad thing is its $60 for a product that lasts little more than a month and i cannot afford it. SO beginning this thursday (my appt with my derm) i will be hopefully be going on either retin a/retin a micro/or differin. HOPEfully another retinol works just as well because if not im going to be very sad :(

on 9/10/2009 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've been eyeing green cream for a few years now, and finally took the plunge. So far, I'm very pleased. I'd rate it a '5', but I've only used it for a few weeks now.

I'm 34, and over the past few years my skin has become extremely dry. I intitally attributed it moving to a very cold and dry area of the northeast, but after moving back to the southeast and enjoying one of the rainest summers ever, I've realized the dry skin is here to stay. It became so bad, that I developed eczema for the first time in my life. I still had pimples but they were horrible because my skin was so dry- deep, almost cystic like, and impossible to eradicate. I also noticed that my feckles were merging together, almost giving me a fair-skin melasma even though I'm very careful about sun exposure. I've tried everything, topical and supplement, before finally doing some more research.

So- I broke down and bought the green cream level 6. Other AHA's and benzoyl wreck havoc on my face so I was a little concerned about buying level 6 but couldn't quite bring myself to pay almost as much to buy level 3. I also use cetaphil acne bar to wash with, and olay total effects as a day time moisturizer.

I am amazed! What surprised me the most is how well my skin has handled GC. I started using it on a night before several days off, just in case I had a reaction, and I've used it every night since. The very first morning I could tell a difference in how soft my skin was. Before, no amount of exfoliation and moisturizer could penetrate my skin, now I've ditched exfoliation entirely. No more product roulette- trying to find something that helps- GC is for me!! I'm even considering buying level 9 the next time.... I am just amazed at how well my skin has tolerated GC. The deep almost cystic-like acne is gone. The dry flakies are gone. My freckles are back to normal. What small wrinkles I had- greatly enhanced by the super dry skin- are minimal. The little whiteheads I've had on the middle of my chin since I was 12 are disappearing. My skin and old acne scars are becoming smooth, and when I touch my face, it is 'moist', but not oily. I just can't say enough good things about it!!

GC deserves to have the snapple logo in my book- it's truly the best stuff on earth.

***UPDATE***
After using GC for a while, my skin started to get really irritated. I think it's because I finally had enough skin cell turnover to have mostly new skin instead of several layers of old dry skin. I woke one morning to find my face peeling ala post sunburn. Mild, but not pretty. I stopped the GC for several days, babied my skin, and have slowly worked my up to every other night. It was worth it, though. My skin continues to improve. I'll hold off on buying level 9 for a while.

***Update 2***
I worked through the irritation and slowly increased my usage. Once I could tolerate GC6 twice daily, I moved up to GC9. I'm now using it nightly and my skin continues to improve.
Beyond the improvement of fine lines and discoloration, I am over the moon about the improvement of my dry skin and acne. I'm now 35, and this is the first time in 23 years that I have not had pimples, blackheads, etc. On the rare occasion I start to develop a blemish, I apply a teeny amount of GC to the problem area a couple of extra times a day and the next day, it's gone. I'm even considering buying level 3 for my teenager.
After decades of trying one thing after another I have found simplicity. I use a mild cleanser, GC at night, a moisturizer/sunblock in the AM. Other than makeup, that's it.

on 8/13/2009 11:39:00 AM

GC is one of the best creams out there for acne prone skin with discoloration. I have bene using the green cream for over 3 months and i have to say it had improved my skin alot!! I use this at bedtime, i use the GC level 6 and i won't be moving onto the 9 any time soon. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT, this helps fade the brown spots on my face, and minimise break-outs.

I used Diacneal for a long time so started out using GC 6. I was impressed with the product but not with the packaging. #1 it is very small. I think for an OTC retinol it's pretty pricey. I think my first bottle lasted me a month max and I'm only using a pea size plop. So this can become expensive very quickly. #2 you literally cannot tell when it's running out because of the packaging - it's just suddenly gone. Does it work? For the most part it does clear your skin and reduce fine lines and, for me, it is controlling oil production which I hadn't expected. I just purchased GC 9 and am going to try to use it very, very sparingly because the higher the retinol, the more expensive the GC. Having said all that, I think I like the results from Acne.org's AHA just as much and it's like $16 for a GIANT tube. So we'll see. I'm not ready to call Green Cream the holy grail of anti-acne/anti-aging products yet!