People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

3.7

on 2/4/2008 12:14:00 AM

I think it's definitely a body chemistry thing.

The play-doh smell made me gag and I couldn't get this off fast enough.
I'm sure it would smell great on someone else, though.

Suffice to say, try before you buy.

on 1/27/2008 10:53:00 PM

This is a very unique scent, but one I simply cannot wear. There are times when I smell LetE amd positively swoon - something about that doughy, spicy, almost boozy smell just makes me feel marvellous. Perhaps a bit too frequent, however, are the times when I smell this perfume and feel sick to my stomach. Luctor et Emergo ("I Struggle and Emerge") is an aptly named scent... it certainly is difficult to love. I want so desperately to be able to wear it, and would really like to meet the type of woman who is capable of carrying it off well. Try it!

on 12/30/2007 10:08:00 PM

Ha, the price for this frag was bad when it came out, but these days, it seems almost affordable :P To me, this smells nice freshly-mown grass, a hint of cherries, but not enough to make it sickeningly sweet, and spicy incense. A definite comfort fragrance.

on 12/15/2007 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i detested this at first, until the holidays hit and i had a craving for something sweet, almondy, buttery....mmmm. i busted out my sample from LS and the cinnamon marzipan buttery rich goodness hit the spot... i dont think ill buy a FB as its a bit pricy and i tend to only gravitate towards 'foody' fragrances during the holiday season. ill probably get a 5ml decant from perfumed court.

on 11/30/2007 5:11:00 PM

This is a very nostalgic and comforting doughy scent laced with hay, incense, vanilla, and cherries. My decant is almost gone (record depletion time), and I'm trying to resist getting a full bottle of this. It will only be a matter of time though, I fear. This is a love it or hate it scent, I recommend getting a sample or decant if you can before you purchase it. I love it (obviously). The cream is even better.

EDIT: I don't know why I gave this a four, I'm boosting him up to a 5. I wear it all the time.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I've heard so much about POTL perfumes in general, so I was excited to try Luctor et Emergo recently. Unfortunately, this scent does not work on me. It ends up smelling like a mix between Fletchers Castoria and coconut. I like coconut, but Fletchers Castoria? No.

I'd been intrigued by the idea of this scent for ages, but just sampled it for the first time today (being put off by the idea of cherries, it was low on my list of things to try). I can vaguely get the playdoh accord frequently mentioned, but I don't think it's salty enough for the playdoh thing to work. On my skin this is a fairly innocuous aldehydic cherry powder. It would make a nice scent for a young girl (really, I think it smells pretty much like a slightly maraschino version of the Heaven Sent I was given as a very young girl). Inoffensive, sweet, innocent. I truly expected something more dramatic, complex, and even weird - something you'd imagine as the favorite of an art-school heiress with tricolor hair, a Heatherettes ensemble, and a complete box set of David Lynch films and morbid anime. But in the end, on the drydown, it's really so much simpler: just a girl, clean and sweet. I'll give it this, though: if you layer Luctor et Emergo with Sa Majeste La Rose you get something worth experiencing. Then you get something really weird and lovely - like a ballet performance in an autopsy theater (the smell of sweet formaldehyde embalming fluid, and ammoniac cleansers lingers there always) bedecked with garlands of rotting roses and a punchbowl of cerise vodka with a cherried ice-ring floating in the middle off to one side. It's the perfect layering combo to wear to Repo: The Genetic Opera or a steampunk installation. I'm stapling these together and putting them in my box of special occasions. ETA: long after initial application, the cherries and powder disappear, and all that is left on my skin is the faint scent of ladyparts. I did a mental doublecheck: nope, haven't been to the bathroom or reached between my legs for any reason since applying. So OK: that's weird.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Count me among the fans of this strange and unusual brew. And, like a great many before me, it took me several attempts before I could understand or appreciate this scent. My initial reaction was, "Ewww! Playdough! Why would anyone want to smell like Playdough?" Well, never say never, right? Testing it on a paper strip doesn't do it justice, nor does just dabbing a little bit on your wrist. To fully experience it, this scent must be spritzed, copiously. Even in the EDP form, I think it would be hard to "overdo" it with this fragrance--it's very soft. But, oh-so-complex! It's true what others have said: depending on the angle of your head, you're bound to catch a whiff of some different element of it at any given time--almonds, vanilla, incense, cherries, they're all in there. Now I just smile and enjoy the ride. :) Was spritzing it not that long ago and DH walked into the room and commented, "Wow! Something smells good in here!" It was the POTL. Only drawbacks are 1) It's ghastly expensive and 2) The bottle--a beaker--is tricky to handle (and even worse for decanting). I love the scarf, though. Such a sweet and quirky treat. Best for die hard boutique fragrance lovers, and people who live for gourmands.

I've sampled this from a vial purchased through LuckyScent. With no doubt at all it reminds me of the first whiff of air released when my grandmother would open up her cedar closet to reveal its stash of aging minks and lamé trimmed chiffon gowns.

This scent is comforting and wonderful for a nostalgia trip, but certainly not something I would wear to feel feminine or sexy.

on 6/14/2007 1:40:00 AM

I bought a sample since my curiosity was piqued by its "cult" status. For some reason, sniffing this immediately gives me visuals of white tissues, as in kleenex. I can't figure out why! I even sniffed a box of tissues and they don't smell anything like this. It must have to do with the cherry-almond fluffy smell mixed with the play-doh dryness. Anyway, even though I would not wear this during the day in public (since I really don't want to be associated with a box of tissues), I find it oddly comforting to dab on a bit before going to bed.