People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

3.7

on 3/1/2003 1:29:00 PM

People of the Labyrinths is a Dutch fashion label that specializes in handprinted and hand-dyed, somewhat avant-garde creations. Generally, I eschew fragrances commissioned by fashion houses, but a generous swapper happened to send a sample of this to me, and I was immediately impressed. Of course, I also love the name: Luctor et Emergo -- "I struggle and emerge victorious." POTL claims to have spent three years developing the fragrance, and indeed, it is not the typical synthetic, banal, focus group-dictated garbage churned out by the average designer. In my humble opinion, of course. The notes are somewhat difficult to pick out, being that it is a well-balanced composition that begins with a fresh whiff of grasses and twiggy woods but quickly dries down to a comforting yet sensual scent of heliotrope, iris, myrrh and sandalwood. The heliotrope lends a distinctive yet subtle air of floral vanilla with a hint of cherry pie. In this way, it is somewhat reminiscent of Serge Lutens Rahät Loukoum. But the presence of myrrh, frankincense and sandalwood prevent it from remaining a foody scent by providing a sensual complexity that adds to the sophistication of the fragrance. By the way, I have no idea if these are the specific notes, they are just what my nose interprets, so I look forward to reading other people's interpretations. The overall fragrance is more earthy, incensey vanilla than floral on me.
What ultimately made the fragrance worth its price tag for me, is that it lasts...and lasts...and lasts. According to the bottle and box, it is parfum strength, which actually makes the $180 price incredibly reasonable for 90 ml. However, it is still a great deal to pay for a fragrance, so I highly recommend trying a sample or decant first.
The packaging is unusual, but not for everyone, I'm sure. The bottle is based on a laboratory flask and is wrapped in a silk-screened logo scarf, contained in a striking red-flocked box. (Photo in profile) continued >>