Mirenesse Secret Weapon Mascara

Mirenesse Secret Weapon Mascara

3.6

on 1/27/2008 12:34:00 AM

Great product! I have to agree with other reviewers in the sense that it doesn't smudge AT ALL. Mascara always smudges on me and I am constantly wiping away the racoon eyes after a long night out. This stuff stays put EVEN if I regrettably forget to wash my face and sleep in it. I'm not crazy about the volume / shape, but if you use a curler correctly you can get the ideal end result. If you're a girl like me who suffers from the smudging, I highly recommend this mascara! You also can't beat the price -- FREE samples all the time at mirenesse.com. I've never paid for a full sized product and have fared well : )

This is a real love-hate product for me. Pros: It doesn't smudge at all - not even a tiny bit. It's easy to apply, separates lashes nicely, stays on all day, gives a really natural-but-enhanced lash look and doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes. Cons: It does flake a little bit (although a few flakes are much easier to brush away later in the day than swabbing away raccoon smudges under the eyes!), it doesn't give a very dramatic look if you want significantly fuller/longer lashes, it does clump a bit and requires careful application and maybe combing before the mascara sets, and it's difficult/impossible to add a second coat. Blinc's Kiss Me mascara is basically the same kind of formula (it 'tubes' the lashes) and they recommend applying only one coat and making it as thick as you like, and I guess the same goes for Mirenesse, although they don't tell you that. The packaging isn't great, as the neck of the tube isn't narrow enough, so the mascara wand is always globby and needs to be wiped before use (which is a waste of mascara!). Also the price is really crazy considering they recommend you throw it away after 2-3 months. Maybelline Full n Soft is still my preferred mascara, but I will buy Mirenesse again if I can find it on sale or on ebay, as the smudge-proof factor for me is worth sacrificing the benefits of other mascaras. Mirenesse offers 'free' samples where you just pay the shipping, though I have to say the shipping costs are ridiculous. You pay AUD$8.95 shipping for one full-size mascara, but if you also buy, for example, an eyeliner, it's another AUD$8.95 shipping, PLUS an extra AUD$5.00 for shipping. When I enquired about this they told me with some exasperation that, of course, if I buy two items, the parcel will be bigger, hence the extra $5. The thing is, if I'm paying postage for each item, shouldn't that make provision for bigger parcel size? You buy one thing, you pay $8.95, you buy two things, you pay $17.90 - PLUS $5?? I know, I'm being pedantic, and it's still cheaper than paying full price, but please Mirenesse, don't insult my intelligence. Soon they'll be charing $8.95 per item, $5.00 surcharge for "increasing parcel size", $3.95 for stamps, $7.95 for packaging, $2.00 for handling, $4.95 insurance, and before you know it, your "free" sample costs you as much as a full-priced item.

on 1/4/2008 2:12:00 AM

Love, love, love Secret Weapon! This is the only mascara I've ever found that doesn't give me racoon eyes! Never flakes, and lasts all day long. I have sensitive eyes, but never have problems with irritation from this product. While I find it lengthens my lashes just fine, the lash primer extends them even further. I'm also active in theatre, and use this exclusively. Lasts great, even under those hot lights!

I requested a trial size of this and paid only shipping. I'm really glad I didn't pay for the full size. It took a LONG time to get to the US from Australia, but since it was a free trial who am I to complain? On to the product...It was disappointing to say the least. I have terrible eye allergies, they tear up constantly and I rub them a lot. I'm always looking for eye makeup that will stay put - I thought this mascara might be the answer I was looking for. Unfortunately, my waterproof CG lashexact is much better. As others have stated, this does a decent job of staying on but it's clumpy and unimpressive in the volumizing/lengthening departments.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Three or four years ago, I would had rated this mascara 5 across the board. Since that time, Mirenesse has changed the formula, and not for the better. I bought this last year in a kit ( included the Moonlight pen ) and both were horrible. I wouldn't trade the Power Lift ( another review ) for anything in the world, but the mascara was a big disappointment. HSN has discontinued the Mirenesse line. If, you go to Mirenesse.com they offer some full size samples, including the "new" Super Long mascara. I might give that one a try.

on 11/29/2007 1:21:00 AM

I love scret weapon! I will never use anything else. I started using this after I purchased from HSN, It puts tubes on your lashes. Makes it so easy to remove no skunk eyes ever even if you sleep in it. HSN stopped carrying mirenesse :( Now I have to find a place that carries it) . It was worth the price and I would recommend to anyone who is sick of hard rubbing od your eyes to get your makeup off and it goes on so easily. Very happy :)

on 9/30/2007 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Im still confused on this one....
PRO - It comes off really easy with warm water and it stays put all day
CON - It dries REALLY quickly and clumps, and no space to apply second coat
Overall i think ill keep on the hunt for the best mascara

I paid $25 for this mascara and it's one of the worst mascara that I try. I don't recommended this mascara.

Best: very easy to remove

Worst: Dries very fast and you don't have the opportunity to applicate a second coat.
Not worth the money.

on 9/7/2007 12:40:00 AM

To be honest I found this mascara quite average. The brush was nothing new. It adds some volume and some length, but nothing spectacular. I also found that it dries way too fast, making it clump easily. I don't think it's worth it for the money, there are better mascaras out there.

on 8/23/2007 10:14:00 AM

FYI, This comes in different varieties (original, volumizing, curling, etc) but the company's CS told me the formula is the same for all the Secret Weapon mascaras, just the brushes are different...

My lashes - Stick straight, so I always use a lash curler. My eyes water and my lids get oily by the end of the day. My lashes are black, so as long as the mascara comes in black, I'm satisfied.

Waterproof/oilproof? - Yes/yes.

Adds volume? - Some.

Adds length? - Moderate.

Adds definition? - Yes.

Holds curl? - Moderately well. This takes out some of the curl made by my lash curler, so while my lashes are curled, the curl is not as dramatic.

Removal? - SUPER easy. Rinse with warm water (or in the shower), then slide the mascara off by gently pinching the lashes between thumb and finger and pulling away from the face. The bits are supposedly "tubes" of mascara, but to me they look more like short black Silly String :) Great and easy removal, there's no tugging or rubbing involved, and it all comes off without a hassle.

Packaging - Unique-looking hourglass-shaped goldtone tube. The bristles on the brush head are densely packed. The side profile of the brush is elliptical (fatter in the middle and tapered towards the ends), so during regular use I have to be careful about excess mascara pooling at the ends of the brush head.

Other comments - Another good tubing mascara. Doesn't flake, feel stiff, or look spidery. Works best when applied to dry, clean lashes. Hard to get in the US (Mirenesse is based in Australia).

Overall - Close to HG status, but not quite... it would have to hold my curl and not have excess mascara at the end of the brush head to meet HG status. continued >>