Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Before I get into any details let me state the harsh truth about this foundation (for me): this would absolutely be my holy grail foundation...if it didn't make me break out in closed comedones wherever I put it :(((

It first came to my attention when Lisa Eldridge mentioned Luminous Silk in her favorite foundations video. I usually have pretty oily skin, but I just moved to a cold place in the fall, after living in south Florida all my life. My oily skin was experiencing winter! And seasons! It wasn't that oily in sub-zero temps, so I decided to try out a glowy/luminous foundation. This got Lisa's stamp of approval, and after much research to find my shade (#4, a perfect match), I bought some sample packets off eBay.

Sample packets in my possession, I applied the foundation--which is quite thin and liquidy--with my fingers. And OMG--my skin looked so nice!!! Lisa was right!!! Also despite the light consistency, GALSF can be built up to medium coverage. Skin imperfections I have are some few pimples and quite a lot, but very faded, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and it covered the latter quite well! I still spot-concealed select areas, but I accept that with any foundation. It also wore well throughout the day.

And then, the honeymoon phase passed. Around 2 and half weeks later, I noticed a whole bunch of small flesh-colored bumps (closed comedones) all over my cheeks (where I usually apply GALSF). I keep up a pretty consistent chemical exfoliation routine because I'm so prone to CC and clogged pores, so I was pretty frickin frustrated. SInce this was the only new thing I added to my face, and I wore it at least every other day, Luminous Silk had to be the culprit.

Then I came across Dive14's review of GALSF here on MUA, and they stated it did indeed have some highly comedogenic ingredients. (Check out the review! Mad props to Dive14.) My skin is sooooo sensitive to comedogenic ingredients. Like, I do not products with coconut oil derivatives or algae extract with a ten-foot pole. So yeah.

This stupid beautiful product is really good if you can tolerate comedogenic stuff. Well, I also presume it wouldn't hold up in extreme humidity, but I tested it on oily skin during 20 degree F winter.
mrrrghhmmmmhrr

I'm NC 20-25, and I used the # 5 in Luminous silk. This foundation has light coverage and is natural looking, but does not last longer than an hour or two on my combination skin. It is an okay foundation but because of the short wear time, I would not repurchase. Maybe with setting powder, it would have lasted longer, but I'd already returned it.

on 1/31/2014 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

One of my HG foundations. I hardly ever re-purchase a foundation, and tend to rotate a few. However, with Luminous Silk - I am already on my 4th bottle. I briefly tried Armani's Maestro (not for me) and Lasting Silk (hated it, drying). I wear Luminous Silk in 4.5 or 5 depending on the season. 4.5 is a touch light but does oxidise to match perfectly (For reference in other brands I currently wear: NC20/F&B C2 in MAC, Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation in Light-Medium Sand, Bobbi Brown Skin in 2.5, NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji, Kat Von D Lock-It in Light 49, Laura Mercier Silk Creme in Med. Ivory, DiorSkin Forever Compact in #21 Linen, Missha Perfect Cover BB in #21).

I think this is a perfect foundation if you already have relatively good skin with minimal need for coverage (it does have sheer-light coverage that can be built up to medium but allows skin to show through) and it just looks like your own skin, but better. The formula is so light and easy to blend, it literally meshes with your skin so no one can even tell you're wearing make-up (well, as long as you choose the right shade and don't cake it on!). The finish is semi-matte but looks very natural, somewhat luminous but not over-kill grease bomb.

It's great for pictures, as it has no SPF, and photographs beautifully. It lasts through an entire day for me, without separating or looking dull/patchy - although I do need to blot maybe once or twice but that is normal for me regardless of what foundation I wear. Obviously it will last longer if you set it with powder, and I sometimes use this with MSFN in Medium or MUFE HD finishing powder. I also mix it with moisturisers and highlighting products and I haven't encountered any pilling or problems with it no matter what I mix this with (from Etude House's Volumer, MAC's Strobe Cream, Armani's Fluid Sheer illuminating fluid and everything in between).

Highly recommend if you are looking for a light to medium coverage natural finish foundation.

on 1/18/2014 4:51:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I've spent decades mixing foundations to try to get the right color. Once in a while, I;ve found one which is perfect, then invariable it's dc'd. Chanel Alabaster was perfect, then gone. Also had an HG cream-to-powder Prescriptives & a Guerlain which disappeared. I'm combo so some foundations oxidize to a nasty orange & mineral foundations unbecomingly accent every flaw. Per Sephora, I'm 1RO6, although I find huge errors in foundations that computer system "matched" for me.

GA is an almost perfect color for me in 3.75. I apply with a synthetic-bristle brush, then blend down with a sponge. It's sheer enough so I don't look "made up" but evens my skin nicely & covers the red mark I get on my nose bridge where my reading or sunglasses rest. It doesn't settle into pores and stays fresh looking for 6-7 hours. I rarely use powder but after a few hours, i sometimes blot. I'm pleased with the texture and most importantly the very close - still not quite perfect- color match. At least I don't have to buy 2 & mix.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I specifically bought it for my wedding day as I had read so many great reviews for it and thought I might try it out.
Well I have fallen head over heels for the way this makes my skin look. It has the best luminosity and definately does blur out my pores which are two things I look for in a foundation. Staying power could be a little better though, I loose that amazing finish after about 6-7 hours but still look like I am wearing foundation after that its just not as luminous.
My biggest bug bear with this foundation, which is the reason I am only giving it 4 stars, is the shade range. I am quite pale in winter and shade 3 suits me perfectly (I would usually be a NC15 in winter), but I cannot seem to find a shade darker than that that suits me. The undertones are quite funny and some of the colours oxidise on me and some dont and this foundation is way to expensive to have a so-so colour in my opinion.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I can't beleive this has gotten such low ratings because this is such a wonderful foundation. It does exactly what it says - gives my skin a beautiful lumonisty and youthful look. I use this in #3 and i'm NC15-20 in MAC (for reference). I use a tiny bit (like 1/2 a pea size) for my entire face because it is highly pigmented. At first I used my normal foundation amount (a pea size) and it was too much which I had to remove with tissue otherwise it would have given me full coverage and had the potential to look mask-y. 1/2 a pea size is the perfect amount for me as it evens out my skintone and provides sheer/medium coverage. i like to blend it in with my fingertips. I set it with my Guerlain Meteorites Voyage Pressed Powder and it's literally budge-proof for the entire day until i wash it off. My makeup also adheres to it well and makes them budge-proof as well. I have been using this with the Cle de Peau Cheek Colour Duo blush in #1 and e/s have changed everyday, and still i've received several comments on how luminous and glowy my skin/face is (as if i've been to the spa or on vacation). This is my new HG foundation. I will toss all the others away now since this is sheer colour and texture perfection!

on 12/29/2013 9:14:00 PM

This foundation is amazing. It goes on nicely, makes you glow, texture is amazing, and it looks like skin. It's silky and I don't even want to put a powder over it. Photographs beautifully and it doesn't look like you're wearing anything. I'm not sure about it's staying power because I wear this on nights out, so one day I'll try it in the beginning of the day.

Only downside is that it's $62 T-T.

on 12/27/2013 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Lovely aqueous texture, easily blendable into skin. Leaves skin soft and breathable with good coverage. Good range of colours.

Beware, if you have dry patches then this will cling and accentuate this so be sure to exfoliate and moisturise before applying.

on 11/3/2013 3:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have sensitive, post-pill hormonal acne which has calmed down slightly (been off the pill for 18 months now) but I still have small bumps under my skin and each month I still get some blind or cystic acne.

I am Mac NC15-20 and I was matched to 3.0 which was too dark for me under natural sunlight. The finish was dewy without powder setting. It covered up the redness of my sensitive skin but somehow it managed to emphasise my dark spots and made the small acne lumps under my skin more pronounced.

I had the foundation on for about 2 hours and I could feel my skin tightening (drying) and when I looked in the mirror up close, I could see my pores rather enlarged and when I washed it off, I could feel my small acne bumps harden. That's the best way I can describe it but it was enough for me to not go back and buy a bottle of this.

on 10/11/2013 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I never felt the need to spend $60 on foundation when there are so may good ones by Revlon, Lancome, Clinique. However after a year or more of hearing about this on youtube and makeup blogs (not to mention celebrities and a few "real housewives") I decided to give it a whirl. The colors are weird and make no sense. For example 5.5 is darker than 6.0 and alot of the shades seem either too brown, too yellow etc. I read on some other websites that this foundation is *SO* amazing that many people are willing to buy TWO COLORS and mix them (ok who wants to have to mix?). The 5 is as close to my face as I can get, I wouldn't call it a *perfect* match but it's darn close. It applies very sheer, you're almost like "what's the hype?", then you set it with your powder, etc. When you are done, this does NOT look like makeup AT ALL. Someone called it "your skin, but better" and that's the truth. I am so pleased with this foundation, it says perfect on my oily skin ALL DAY (unheard of). I don't have to blot or reapply powder. After 10 hrs of wear on a hot, sunny Florida day I touched up with my MUFE HD powder and it looked like I just did my makeup FRESH. This does not settle into fine lines or wear off in the crevices near your nose, etc. Talk about a poreless, airbrushed face!! To be honest at $60 I was hoping to dislike it and return it for some MAC eyeshadows and stick to my $23 Clinique foundation. Nope, HG all the way. And yes, now I am one of those people wondering if I should get a 2nd bottle a pinch darker to mix when I need to LOL!! Try it but be prepared to fall in love and consider a $60 foundation a necessity because you won't go back to your old foundation.
Note: Today just for the heck of it, I decided to use some of my old foundation (that I used to love)....ughhh I looked so gross! You can't use anything else once you've tried this!