Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 9/5/2017 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Flawless all day is words to describe. Its light coverage and stay 12 hours on my oily skin. I have spent huge amounts of expensive foundation because my skin is oily and acnes. This one makes it gorgeous. Highly recommended for perfect skin. But its quite pricey!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 8/20/2017 2:30:00 AM

Okay I'll keep it short and sweet: the good things about it are: it doesn't feel heavy, doesn't look dry at all, at the start for the first hour it gives a gorgeous finish that looks stunning. Now the bad: I have combo skin normal everywhere but I get an oily tzone throughout the day. This foundation after 2 hours made me look way too greasy. Not like dewy, just greasy and it's a shame I really wanted it to work because the first hour I had it on I was in love. I don't think this foundation is good for normal or combo skin and definitely not for oily skin. Maybe if you have really dry skin that doesn't get oily in the day. I regret buying it. I'll try mixing it with other foundations maybe so I don't waste my money because australia doesn't allow you to return makeup in most stores but yeah I wish I didn't buy it.

on 8/19/2017 12:51:00 PM

Another hyped up product that didn't wow me. It's a decent light coverage foundation with a good shade range for light to medium skin tones. But for the really hefty price tag it's not worth it. It has quite light coverage with a dewy finish that doesn't last very long on my normal to combo skin and I get shiny super quickly even tho I rarely have that issue with other foundations. I can't really understand why it's a staple for so many people including makeup artists. But I can imagine if you have super flawless skin and just want to a light veil of foundation it works.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Oh, why is this soo expensive?? So, I can't comment on the packaging because I didn't actually buy this...I got a sample from Sephora, which by the way is IMPOSSIBLE because it seems only the stores in fancy, expensive parts of town carry this to sample. I got it in the Mall of Emirates in Dubai and it is worth the hype. The coverage, formula, consistency...everything is a freaking dream! It feels so good and I was so sad when I ran out.
I will say, despite all its virtues, it is still foundation and it is hella expensive. Unless this bad boy also cleared my skin and made my eyelashes as long as extensions...I couldn't justify the price. So for all my MUAers out there who have the money to spend, go for it!

on 3/20/2017 8:52:00 AM

I really wanted it to work for me after reading so many good reviews and watching videos. But unfortunately it didn't meet my expectations.
My skin is dry and sensitive but I don't have obvious acne or scar problems. All I wanted to achieve was a really "luminious and silky" look. My skin ended up looking quite matte ! Not luminious at all. And although the coverege is medium, my skin didn't look like healthy and flawless.
Lancome teint miracle was the foundation I been using till then, I liked it but I wanted a bit more coverage that's why I tried armani. Teint miracle never irritates my sensitive skin and although armani is noncomodogenic as well, it caused some itchiness on forehead(due to my dryness maybe) but I made sure to apply a base of lots of moisturiser and primer ( which I got from Armani as well ). Nars all day luminious was also not very luminious but at least looked healthier on me. Maybe that word luminious means something different than I think.
Over all, I could't get that glowy healthy finish.
I tried this foundation for like 1-2 weeks and maybe in summer days when skin is already good, I can make use of the bottle I bought. But for now, I am considering to go back to Lancome teint miracle or try Bobbi brown intensive skin serum foundation which is said to be nice.

on 3/18/2017 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is by far the best foundation I have used, alongside with Urban Decay Naked Skin (and the discontinued Bourjois 123 Foudnation).

I have it in shades 3.0, which is my transitional shade (nc25) and 2.0, which is my winter shade (between nc15 and nc20).

The shade 2.0 is a perfect neutral shade, slightly yellow (not a beige).

The foundation works very Well on My dehydrated oily skin.

I prep my skin with a light moisturizer (Caudalie sorbet, the light pink tube). I apply the foundation with a moist sponge (Real Techniques works better than Beauty Blender - quite a mistery, really). Using a buffing brush gives a similar outcome, but the sponge is definitely a better option. That way, the pores are better covered.

When I apply the foundation, my skin looks really perfect and even.

On top I put Hourglass compact powder, but it doesn't make a difference - whichever powder is on top, it looks natural and soft (Mac loose setting powder, Guerlain Perls in Medium).

The foundation lasts really long. I tested it on all weather conditions, and there is only a difference with my oiliness but despite, the foundation sits well. I get 8 hours without retouching. By 12 hours, the foundation slightly sinks into pores, but still looks good and wearable.

I highly recommend both of the foundations!

The match is on point, the foundation is longwearing, doesn't dry my skin out and doesn't make my skin oilier than usual. It's the best I came across.

Mac Prolongwear nc20 - slightly too orange
Estée Lauder DW 1w2 - slightly too orange
Burberry Velvet Ochre - slightly darker
Lancôme 24 Idole Beige Albatre - slightly darker and too orange (match with first two above)

Urban Decay 2.0 Naked
Bourjois 123 foundation 52
Giorgio Armani Luminous 2.0

I hated this so much.Its such a strange consistency, watery and greasy at the same time!I found that it looked streaky whether I applied it with a brush,sponge or fingers and set in a really uneven way.I prefer a light to medium coverage and found myself having to use 4 or 5 pumps to cover my face.I gave it to a friend who also hated it.Really disappointed, it was so hyped and SO expensive.Extra disappointing because I really liked Maestro.Absolutely terrible.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This is the first foundation that I have used that actually makes my skin look like skin. It photographs beautifully and just enhances your skin rather than make it look like you're wearing a mask.

I have dry skin with hyperpigmentation and this foundation makes my skin look dewy and not greasy. I can't give it a 5 start rating because some of my hyperpigmentation peaks through even after colour correcting and two coats of foundation.

Even though I have to use two different colours of this foundation to get my exact match, I still find it worth it to use this foundation. For shade reference, I am closest to NC42 at MAC, although MAC tends to run a bit yellow/orange on me. For luminous silk, I use 2 pumps 7.5 and a partial pump of 9 and it's an EXACT match for my skin colour. Lots of trial and error to get the perfect match to my neutral golden undertone.

I apply this on top of the Becca backlight primer and use a very damp Beauty Blender to apply. I set it with the Chanel loose powder in Gold (shade 3).

on 1/20/2017 8:49:00 PM

Holy Grail and im very hard to please. This is a beautiful foundation, my only regret is not finding it sooner.

Its a medium coverage but can be built up to full or sheared out. It glides on like a dream, it has lots of playtime so it doesnt dry too quickly, its so easy to blend, doesn't sit in pores or fine lines, I can put it under my eyes and dont have to worry about creasing, it covers all my redness as I get dry rosacea on my cheeks, it doesn't cling to dry patches or look cakey. Its luminous but slightly matt at the same time if that makes sense. Its also very neutral toned.

I usually wear Double wear foundation and I do really love it but I find that it clings to my dry skin if I dont prime extremly well and even then it can look cakey and sometimes it settles into lines and can show up dry patches so ive been on the hunt for something similar but more suited to my skin type and Luminous silk is definitely it. I have a feeling it might not suit very oily skin types so id say get a sample if youre unsure, it seems like its more suited to normal/dry skin.

Its expensive but worth it in my opinion and anyway its only 5 euro more than Double wear so I dont feel im spending much more than I usually would anyway.

Edit to add, I took a bad reaction to a new cleanser recently, I rarely get spots but this new cleanser left me with a rash on my forehead, painful cystic spots on my temples and chin and little red spots every where else, it also left my skin very dry, Luminous Silk was a god send for me, it covered all my redness and evened my skin tone with two pumps without causing any further irritation. I love this foundation!!