Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 3/8/2014 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

THE FORMULA:
Firstly, this is a good pick for DRY SKIN, not recommended for oily skin whatsoever. LIGHT MEDIUM to BUILDABLE coverage. This foundation is runny, but not so runny that it becomes difficult to apply. It is water based so it does not have an emollient like consistecy, however it is good for dry skin. LOOKS BEAUTIFULLY LUMINOUS WHEN FIRST APPLIED. I was going through a period of very dry flakey skin when I purchased this foundation to wear at my sisters wedding. It applied very well without catching onto the dry patches, but I did apply a very rich night cream the day before the wedding to ensure that my makeup does not cling to my dry skin. Overall the formula is GOOD but at $90 Australian Dollars I had expected it to be faultless.

THE COLOR RANGE:
Giorgio Armani uses a very odd numbering system (4, 5, 5.75, 6, 6.5, 7 ect) and is very confusing because the numbers do not necessary indicate the darkness of the shades in ascending order. I found shade 5 to be darker than shade 6. There is also no particular order for undertones. For instances, 5 is pink, 6 is yellow, 6.5 is reddish, 7 is pink. It is best to head to the counter and get a professional colormatch. Mine was spot on, I am SHADE 6.5 and for reference I wear STROMBOLI in Nars Sheer Glow NC35-40 in Mac Studio Tech and TAWNY in Estee Lauder Double Wear.

APPLICATION:
I applied this with a BEAUTYBLENDER. Because I have dry skin this was the best option for me. Ideally it should be buffed into the skin with a Kabuki if your skin can tolerate it. I would not recommend applying this with your fingers simply because this will result in a very sheer application.

STAYING POWER:
This foundation is definitely not long wearing. It will start to fade in the T-zone and breakdown after 5 HOURS MAX

THE VERDICT:
I will not buy this again mainly due to poor staying power and $90 AUD price tag!!!!

Check out my blog for more info and pics: http://arwaselixir.blogspot.com.au/

on 3/4/2014 7:45:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Wow great foundation and covers large pores flawlessly. Looks great in photos

on 2/21/2014 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I love this foundation. It doesn't break me out, I got an almost perfect match to my tan-brown skin, it does not oxidize, it blends superbly, and a little goes a long way. I have combo skin but I still like matte-dewy mix foundations... and this gives me just that for the first few hours, after which I start to get shiny in my t zone... nothing a little blotting won't solve. I wear it on all my makeup tutorials on youtube so check it out if you wanna see it in action :)

on 2/17/2014 1:13:00 AM

Very natural looking. I like to use this foundation in the winter when I need more coverage due to my lack of sunshine!! I use my fingers to apply it, and it goes on pretty smoothly and evenly. It lasts throughout my work day, and I feel as though this foundation gives my skin a more fresh and polished look.

on 2/9/2014 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my all-time favourite foundation. I wear shade 4 (Mac NC20, Bobbi Brown 3.0) and it goes on a little bit pale but warms up to my skin tone within a few minutes. I have dry skin and this just gives me such a glow. It's not really dewy, it just looks like my skin but so much better when I apply with a stippling brush like the MAC 187 or the hourglass foundation brush. The staying power is quite good, maybe because I have dry skin, but I do find this wears better than all of my other foundations and it is never cakey. And it doesn't transfer either!! I will continue to repurchase.

I'm NC 20-25, and I used the # 5 in Luminous silk. This foundation has light coverage and is natural looking, but does not last longer than an hour or two on my combination skin. It is an okay foundation but because of the short wear time, I would not repurchase. Maybe with setting powder, it would have lasted longer, but I'd already returned it.

on 12/27/2013 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Lovely aqueous texture, easily blendable into skin. Leaves skin soft and breathable with good coverage. Good range of colours.

Beware, if you have dry patches then this will cling and accentuate this so be sure to exfoliate and moisturise before applying.

on 12/21/2013 5:48:00 PM

As ridiculous as this sounds, this foundation IS LIFE CHANGING!!

I have tried and bought every single foundation known to man - both drug store and premium brand, and no foundation has ever worked like this one. I am an Indian woman and usually foundations are either too orange or too light so make me look ashy but this one IS FANTASTIC (for reference I use 7.5)! My hunt for a foundation is finally over - I will never change from this.

This foundation glides on like a dream...it feels amazing on my skin, like it is barely there! You can add more for cover and it doesn't look cakey, or you can just put on a thin layer and it just evens out your skin leaving such a healthy glow. The packaging and the pump on the bottle is great as it lets out the perfect amount. What I love about this is that it looks so natural on. Lasts all day and night too! Got a bit off shine around my T zone but that's natural as its my skin.....

The one thing I would say is that my skin is naturally very dry, and I did notice that the first time I used this it dried my skin out the day after (prob most likely down to the fact I hadn't moisturised or cleansed skin on the night) ....BUT now I just put on moisturiser before I put on the foundation and its perfectly fine - never ever had that issue again! In fact, the next day my skin feels glowy! Deffo recommend

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

For reference I am NC30 and use #6. The color seems slightly lighter when I put it on but it leaves room for oxidation. Within 5 minutes my face looks amazing. I use Laura Merciers loose mineral foundation as a setting powder (since my skin gets crazy oily in the Tzone area). I have worn the GA foundation for the last three weeks and I haven't had any breakouts and my makeup looks flawless all day. I had to go in to a 6am meeting and a coworker asked what I had been doing differently. She then went on to say that my skin looked fresh and glowy. I have honestly received number compliments. I wouldn't suggest buying it straight up, but get a sample and see if you love it as much as I do. The only down side is the ridiculous price. $60 only splurged because of the amazing reviews. I'll probably be trying Chanel's Aqua next

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Reference point - I'm tan: NARS Barcelona, MAC NC 30-35 and #7 is perfect for me.

The packaging is a simple, pump bottle. It looks elegant on my vanity table. No issues with it.

While I am not madly 'in love' with the Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, it's definitely one of the best foundations I've tried. I have pretty nice skin to start with, no breakouts (except the rare pimple that one time a month), not dry or oily so I am not really looking for a foundation that while cover my skin issues.

The coverage is medium, however it's buildable. I apply my regular skin care, and allow my Laura Mercier Radiance Primer to set before applying the foundation. Applying this foundation is wonderful - it blends easily, it feels incredibly lightweight! I have applied it with my fingers, a MAC stippling brush, and the Armani foundation brush. What I love about this foundation is that it looks natural. It gives me beautiful, glowing skin without looking like I'm wearing foundation. Another plus is that this is probably one of the only foundations I've tried that looks beautiful in real life AND photographs well. Normally, I find that those heavy, high coverage foundations photograph beautifully but in real life you look like you caked make up on. :)

The look of this foundation is dewy. I adore dewy, glowing skin, and since I've never had issues with my skin being oily, Luminous Silk wears well for me. However, my friends that have oily skin or enjoy a more matte finish have always disliked the result of it. So that's something to consider before buying :)

The wear of it actually surprised me because of all the negative reviews of it. I haven't had any issues with it getting blotchy, fading, turning orange, sliding off, etc. And I do live in a hot, humid area. I do wear primer and lightly dust the Laura Mercier Illuminating loose powder on top.

My issues with it - it's expensive. Also, on those days when my skin does not look 100% (is a little red and blotchy, dull, I have a breakout, flakiness, etc) the foundation doesn't look so great. For me, it's a foundation that looks BEAUTIFUL when my skin looks great to start with.

I'd recommend it to someone with good skin to start with, that enjoys that dewy, glowy finish to foundation and is looking for something lightweight. Get a sample and see how it wears before you purchase. :)