Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in 5
- expensive at $59
- luminous finish
- light to medium coverage
- great clean, fresh scent
- no spf, photographs well
- doesn't oxidize
- unfortunately, poor lasting power on my very oily skin

In my blog post I swatched it next to the following:
MAC Studio Finish Concealer NW20
DiorSkin Forever Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup SPF 25 in 020
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua SPF 15 B20 Beige Tendre
NARS Sheer Glow in Light 4 / Deauville (the pump was purchased separately)

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This foundation is okay. I have skin that doesn't need foundation so the fact this is thin didn't bother me... Though for some reason it seemed to be thin yet caked on at the same time. :/ Overall I didn't find it any more impressive than any other foundation I have used (Chanel, Dior, Laura Mercier, Bare Escentials, MAC, etc.). This product had such rave reviews from the magazines I was expecting something life changing... However, it wasn't really. When I was wearing it to me it didn't feel like it looked that good... then when I seen pics later it looked really great... So I don't know really. I think I will only give it a 3 star rating because I feel it is very average and I don't think it's mediocrity justifies the price tag. I may buy this product again to give it another shot... I am undecided really.

on 8/28/2011 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've tried this on three times in the store but never caved in and bought it thankfully. The first time left me decidedly unimpressed. I gave Luminous Silk Foundation another try on 2 seperate occasions, thinking I must have been mistaken due to all the rave reviews but nope, still unimpressed.

My main problem is this is sooo sheer, more like a tinted moisturiser than a foundation really, even though the MUA described it as medium/high coverage. I have good-ish skin; I only rarely break out and have no lines, scars or large pores just some minor uneven pigmentation and the odd patch of mild eczema. My flaws were still *clearly* visible through this foundation and as if that wasn't enough LSF highlighted some flakey patches that I didn't even realize I had and made them look terrible. When I remarked on these problems, the MUA quickly informed me that LSF is buildable (and tried to push the Giorgio Armani skincare line at me LOL). However I found LSF too thin and watery to work with for layering and besides I had no desire to highlight my dry patches further.

Second point is the texture. You might think that something named "luminous" and "silk" would feel rich, luxurious and well, silky. If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Instead LSF feels simultaneously watery yet super drying in a way you wouldn't have thought possible.

Also I find Giorgio doesn't do too many shades for neutral or cool-toned skin. I look at their counter and see a sea of yellow and more yellow which seems to be getting increasingly common. And the one fair, cool shade they did have had too much white in it for me.

If you have well hydrated, yellow toned skin, hate thicker foundation and are after something barely-there you might want to look into this. However if you're after a richer, more flawless looking finish or a foundation with some "oomph" then skip this one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is a beautiful foundations. It's one of the few foundations that comes in a shade that's almost light enough for me, but the product itself is very lightweight, natural, and blends nicely. It leaves the skin with a really nice satin finish. Which is the natural finish of skin anyways, so it looks like you're not even wearing foundation. I do use a blue primer, since it's a TINY bit too dark for me. But generally, if my skin is in a good condition, I can just throw this on and go. I only have to use 1-2 pumps of for my whole face, so it lasts a long time. That helps me justify the price. The only reason I took one lipstick off was because of the bottle. I love the sleek look of it, but the pump is annoying. Sometimes I want to use a little bit more than 1 pump, but I have a hard time controlling how much comes out. I have worked out a method where I apply pressure up and down on the pump, then let off pushing up and push down a little more to get a bitty squirt, but it's rather difficult and a pain. It also gets really messy. But with my pale skin, finding a good shade is hard to do, so it's worth dealing with the pump. I've gone through 2 already, and I'm sure that I will repurchase again in the future.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I was so excited for this product. My color is #3, but the coverage is so light and the end result is not perfection. One squirt never did it for me... I think for the price, it should be perfection. I was so excited when I bought this foundation I bought a GA blush with it too. Both were dissapointments. I have yet to find my favorite. My advice for readers is to get a sample first. Try it at work, try it at home, try it at night. See if this is something you think is so spectacular its worth mega moola.

This foundation is okay. Too me the coverage is light and it is buildable. Nothing special and not worth all the hype maybe it's because I prefer heavier coverage. I don't think it's worth the money AT ALL.

on 9/15/2010 9:07:00 PM

If you're looking for an easy-to-apply, dewy, natural looking liquid foundation that is non-comedogenic and water based, this is THE foundation. It works best on people who have good skin in general and no MAJOR imperfections. It give your face a natural but polished look (I like to call it "imperfect perfection"). This is NOT for you if you're looking for something really dramatic with full coverage. It evens out your skin tone and gives you a dewy fresh finish. On a regular day I need only about half a pump for my entire face, and a full pump only when I'm doing heavier makeup. I strongly suggest using the Giorgio Armani foundation brush because it makes a big difference; you end up needing less product, and you can achieve a more natural/sheer look (but you can also build your coverage if you want). It photographs really well giving you an almost photoshopped effect. I have gotten compliments about my glowing complexion, and I have even been asked if I was wearing any makeup at all!

EDIT: I took off one lippie because it is not a very long-wearing foundation. It will start to slip after a few hours.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is one of my favorite foundations, I was lucky enough to get this in a swap when i ran out of mine. Its a perfect light summer foundation, since it is a bit pricy I usually only use this when i go out, my everyday foundation is Mac face and body, and my HG Nars sheer glow! This foundation is runner up to Nars sheer glow the reasons why is, the price and sheer glow give you a little more coverage. But this is worth trying even if you just stop and get a sample! This is my HG loveee it!!!!

on 3/19/2010 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

This foundation is OK, but considering the prize...I wouldn't even consider buying it again. The pump is hard to manage, and the finish is more powdery than "dewy". And be careful about picking the shade on this one, ladies. It seems like it becomes much lighter (in my case, shade no. 5, more "spooky") when you apply it. I am aware it might work differently for someone with oily skin, but I don't think it's a foundation that works for "all skin types" (as the sales lady told me). Also, I would't recommend it to someone with somewhat sensitive or dry skin, because I do find it a bit drying. On the plus side, it does stay on it's place throughout the day.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This product is slightly disappointing. It matches my skin great- I'm a 6.5, feels great on, has sheer to medium coverage, doesn't dry me out, but it doesn't seem to wear off a little quicker than I'd like for the price. I think it's a great foundation, but not really worth $58 US. There are better foundation for equal or less money.