Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight age: 25-29
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.7

on 6/1/2014 3:18:00 PM

For color reference- I had to order this online, and guessed, but guessed perfectly- I wear a 2.5 in Touch Eclat pen, BD20 in Touch Eclat foundation, Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, Warm Ivory in Dermablend Cover Cream, Fresco in Estee Lauder Double Wear, Fiji in Nars, NC20 in Mac, and in this foundation, GA Luminious Silk, I wear a 4. All of these are nearly perfect-perfect on my skin tone.

I have been on a foundation buying spree. I have Mac, Nars, YSL, Estee Lauder, Giorgio Armani, Dermablend, and Bare Minerals. I am really loving the Armani Luminous Silk foundation. I took off a price lippie because I do believe it's expensive and I'm lucky that I can afford to buy it and play around, but the price point is going to be out of some people's reach.

I love that the bottle has a cap and a pump. My Mac pump which I had to buy separate has a little snap on blocker for when you're travelling to prevent the pump from pressing and I'm always afraid I'll lose it. I like that this pump is covered by the cap. It pumps a small amount- I need about 3 pumps to cover my whole face and layer, vs 1 or 1.5 with the Mac pump. The foundation is pretty fluid. I dab it on with a damp beauty blender. I have a lot of acne and redness so I do 3 layers on the damaged areas and just 1 or 2 on the better areas of my skin, but it all looks even and flawless. Even with 3 layers over acne it doesn't look cakey at all. I live on the NC coast and it's very hot and humid- I came inside this afternoon and my makeup still looked great. I always set with an Hourglass Ambient Light powder but regardless I am not blotchy, oily, dry, flaky, uneven, oxidizing, etc.

on 4/27/2014 12:56:00 AM

I'm really undecided on this foundation. And really, if you're paying close to sixty dollars for a foundation - you should know whether or not you like it.

Pros - glowy, does not feel heavy or mask like on face, nice range of color matches (I'm pale with yellow undertones - a lot of foundations are either far too light or too orange), the packaging (bottle with pump).

Cons - sinks into pores, clings to dry patches, foundation wears off on the oily sections on my face (at the end of the day I can see where it has worn off on my nose), it does oxidize slightly.

Bottom line: i like the texture - it's lightweight and it does make skin look glowy and luminous. It's the perfect foundation for in between light and medium coverage and the coverage is buildable. However, this is foundation for my good skin days. It does require a primer to last for the majority of the day and even then it does wear off. Proper moisterization and exfoliation are necessary in order for skin to work with this foundation. I would expect these kind of set backs from lower end foundations, but not for a high end product.

I'm NC 20-25, and I used the # 5 in Luminous silk. This foundation has light coverage and is natural looking, but does not last longer than an hour or two on my combination skin. It is an okay foundation but because of the short wear time, I would not repurchase. Maybe with setting powder, it would have lasted longer, but I'd already returned it.

on 12/27/2013 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Lovely aqueous texture, easily blendable into skin. Leaves skin soft and breathable with good coverage. Good range of colours.

Beware, if you have dry patches then this will cling and accentuate this so be sure to exfoliate and moisturise before applying.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Reference point - I'm tan: NARS Barcelona, MAC NC 30-35 and #7 is perfect for me.

The packaging is a simple, pump bottle. It looks elegant on my vanity table. No issues with it.

While I am not madly 'in love' with the Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, it's definitely one of the best foundations I've tried. I have pretty nice skin to start with, no breakouts (except the rare pimple that one time a month), not dry or oily so I am not really looking for a foundation that while cover my skin issues.

The coverage is medium, however it's buildable. I apply my regular skin care, and allow my Laura Mercier Radiance Primer to set before applying the foundation. Applying this foundation is wonderful - it blends easily, it feels incredibly lightweight! I have applied it with my fingers, a MAC stippling brush, and the Armani foundation brush. What I love about this foundation is that it looks natural. It gives me beautiful, glowing skin without looking like I'm wearing foundation. Another plus is that this is probably one of the only foundations I've tried that looks beautiful in real life AND photographs well. Normally, I find that those heavy, high coverage foundations photograph beautifully but in real life you look like you caked make up on. :)

The look of this foundation is dewy. I adore dewy, glowing skin, and since I've never had issues with my skin being oily, Luminous Silk wears well for me. However, my friends that have oily skin or enjoy a more matte finish have always disliked the result of it. So that's something to consider before buying :)

The wear of it actually surprised me because of all the negative reviews of it. I haven't had any issues with it getting blotchy, fading, turning orange, sliding off, etc. And I do live in a hot, humid area. I do wear primer and lightly dust the Laura Mercier Illuminating loose powder on top.

My issues with it - it's expensive. Also, on those days when my skin does not look 100% (is a little red and blotchy, dull, I have a breakout, flakiness, etc) the foundation doesn't look so great. For me, it's a foundation that looks BEAUTIFUL when my skin looks great to start with.

I'd recommend it to someone with good skin to start with, that enjoys that dewy, glowy finish to foundation and is looking for something lightweight. Get a sample and see how it wears before you purchase. :)

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I managed to get a sample of this from the Armani counter where I was matched with shade 7 Tan. FYI I am NC42, Chanel B60, Revlon Colourstay Natural Tan, NARS Barcelona. I find the colour match to be decent but shade 7 runs a little pink compared to the other foundations that I have. I top it with a light dusting of a yellow toned powder which corrects the shade and sets the foundation

I put a few drops onto the back of my hand, dot it on my face then work it in with a Sigma F80 flat top kabuki brush. This leaves a nice, smooth finish and as promised, a beautiful luminous glow which other foundations lack. The coverage is medium but buildable.

My only problem with it is the lasting power. With a primer, I notice my pores starting to show at the 4-6 hour mark. Without it, I only get to mid morning before I have to touch up. A shame really considering how beautiful it is when first applied. My skin is reasonably oily but by comparison, the normal/dry formulation of the Revlon Colourstay lasts all day without requiring touch ups
I've tried the Lasting silk which is heavier, a little more cakey and has the same lasting power as the Luminous silk.

It's expensive at AU$90. While I am using the sample, I'm enjoying it but for the price and the average lasting power, I don't think I'll purchase the full size.

on 4/9/2013 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

First I'll say I don't own one, but I let a make-up artist do me a make-up with this just yesterday. I am very pale so she used the shade #2 on me. Before foundation she used some serum for the dry areas and Armani BB cream to tone down the redness. She applied the foundation light-handedly, so the outcome was pretty natural looking, but nothing to wow! about. Matte and seemed to go well with my skin tone. When I arrived home a few hours later I noticed my face was yellow, ugh. Maybe it was the initial light or maybe it oxidized. Any way, pale skinned people, beware, and don't be too hasty buying it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Went everywhere looking for this. My local Nordie's and Bloomie's didn't carry it. And by chance, I found it at Barney's after waiting outside Neiman Marcus to open (didn't due to loss of power).

All the work to find out that it applies horribly. I feel like I'm rubbing a layer of gel on my face and it just sits there. The color is a good match, but not perfect.

And then I found out that my skin is reacting horribly to it. Red bumps and itchiness.

Why oh why did I throw away the receipt. B

Back to Nars Sheer Glow!

on 10/8/2012 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this foundation twice now so I feel like I can give it a proper review.

The pro's - I am very fair, and the lightest shade did match my skin tone. Which is rare for me. I have trouble finding foundations light enough for me. The bottle itself is an easy-to-use, and nice looking container; however I found it next to impossible to see how much foundation was left in the bottle and as such, was not forewarned when it was going to run out. I do like the finish that it gives and find it easy to blend.

The con's - It's pricey. It doesn't wear amazingly through the day - I do find I need to touch it up after a few hours. & it does have to be set (for me) with a powder or I end up looking a bit oily.

All in all it's nice, but it's not my favorite. I have repurchased but would be easily swayed away from it for something I like more.

on 8/15/2012 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I'm on my 2nd bottle and I love lo e this foundation. It's a light to medium coverage but is buildable I have used other Giorgio Armani foundations and there great as well but this is the hg for me love u Giorgio Armani