CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.9

on 2/18/2009 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I honestly have to say I'm baffled as to how this product gets such a good rating !!

I'd been using St Tropez for the last few years - it's my HG self-tanner, extremly natural colour and very even, lasts ages, little smell, and I always get loads of compliment son it... but the dark colour got all over my sheets so I had to change my bedclothes right away the next morning. And not an option when my bf is over!

I figured I'd give another self-tanner a whirl and wanted a good one, so of course I come onto trusted MUA for reviews and ideas. This one seemed "the one"! And I've done so well with MUA before.

This time, unfortunately, it was not to be. Everything went wrong that could go wrong with a self-tanner.

Firstly, it's way too expensive for the amount you get (but I was willing to try anyway). 25 for a small tube is crazy.

On opening the tube, the smell nearly knocked me out - it was AWFUL. Luckily it faded a bit after 20 min, as others have said, but it was still there and not nice - and the next day I could smell off my skin even after showering. ew

It took AGES to dry. I was standing around naked in the cowboy stance for over 20 minutes and my skin STILL had that tacky "not dry yet!" feeling.

The colour - came up too dark on my face, streaky on my legs, patchy on my upper arms, and awful around my toes. And overall it was a distinctly orange-hue. Looked very fake.

Finally, the day after I put it on, my face broke out in an awful rash - tiny little weeping breakouts all over my forehead and chin, which dried up and scabbed. Needless to say, looked terrible.

Luckily, this product seems to have no staying power. It was gone without any exfoliation within 2 days.

I will NOT be re-purchasing, and will be warning my friends off this product, especially those with sensitive skin. Back to my St Tropez!!

on 2/13/2009 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

UPDATE 3/16/09: I still have scabs from the rash this self tanner caused. I totally forgot about the rash until I saw the chicken skin, which has scarred my upper thighs and the outside of my legs by my knees. Scary huh? Definitely won't be repurchasing, but who knew the rash took this long to go away?

UPDATE 02/28/09: OK, I've been breaking out in a itchy, burning rash on my thighs and backs of my knees. In some areas, the rash takes 1-2 days post-application to develop. It starts off looking like chicken skin and then gets progressively redder. This is officially going in the trash and I am definitely NOT repurchasing!

UPDATE 02/21/09: I've used this several times on my legs without any problems. But then I decided to apply this to my arms, since I'll be wearing a sleeveless dress to a ball next week. When I woke up today, I had a visible itchy rash on both of my arms, specifically in the nook of my arm (opposite my elbow). I am not sure why I'm having this reaction since it works fine on my legs and I don't have any skin conditions or sensitive skin. I guess it's a blessing in disguise because I won't shell out $20+ for another tube of this...

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Well, great. I am now a fan of 20-something dollar self-tanner. I was a religious user of Jergens natural glow, but it was too "natural" for someone who has a formal event at the end of this month. It's the dead of winter and I am pasty. I don't need natural, I need TAN, like I've been vacationing in the tropics, not schlepping around my apartment in sweats.

Out of the tube, this stuff is sharp smelling and stung my nose. However, the scent dissipates. It's a translucent orangey colored gel that absorbs quickly without any greasy afterfeel. I usually apply this, put on my pajamas and go to bed. In the morning, I am about 2-3 shades darker. For my event, I'll probably start self-tanning the Thursday before in order to achieve my ideal shade of tan come Saturday night.

Like all self-tanners, there is the distinct self-tanner smell, but I have to say it's not as strong. I like this and would repurchase. continued >>

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Normally I'm a Chanel junkie and I love Chanel's self tanners but unfortunately I ran out and Chanel apparently did as well. :(
So I bought Clarins and I'm loving it. The smell is a little worse than Chanel's which is why I took off one lippie, but the color is just as good and the smell goes away fairly fast.

I'm pretty light-skinned and like the fact that this stuff doesn't overwhelm you with color on the first application. You can build it up to the color you're satisfied with. It's great. I highly recommend it.

on 11/30/2008 4:50:00 AM

I was a bit sceptical reading the reviews, but I had a wedding to go to and I needed to tan my legs.

I don't want to look "You must be wearing fake tan because there is no way you are that brown naturally", and that is why I don't like the L'Oreal airbrush tan. Yes, it looked great, but it was just too dark. I do tan a little bit and I wanted a product that I can use on my upper thighs and stomach etc for when I go to the beach to avoid the horrid tanned legs and white thighs syndrome.
I also didn't want to smell!

This product was fantastic. Very little smell, medium tan (I'll reapply if I want to go darker), didn't come off on the bedsheets, no streaks (not even on my feet!), nice natural look. I put this on after I had a shower last thing at night and the next morning I was super-happy with the result. The price is not nice, but I will be repurchasing!

on 11/13/2008 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I liked the way this self tanner looked on my skin, it looks natural and it's a very lightweight formula, so you wont feel as sticky as with the cream formulated ones, it also doesn't smell as strong as some other self tanners, which is really nice. Here comes the other side of this... I think this product is quite expensive and I found that Almay has a self tanner that's basically the same at a HUGE less expensive price with two available formulas (cream and gel), which I think is a great option if you don't want to spend that much money. Almay's package is also the same as Clarins's one. Overall, I think it is a nice product but I rated it with 3 lippies because of it's packaging and because I found something that's basically the same and a lot less pricey.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Best self-tanner there is!!!!! I have used this for several months now and I still love the color it gives me (natural looking brownish-yellow tan color). It gives me that glow and everybody keeps asking me if I was in the sun! It is easy to apply, dries a lot quicker than other self-tanners, doesn't smell too bad and makes my skin soft too! Love, love, love it! Thank you Clarins!!

on 8/1/2008 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE this product! Never streaks. Leaves you bronze, NOT orange and dries fairly quickly! Also doesn't stain your clothes! And the smell, or the lack of is amazing! only con? the price! but definitely worth it in my opinion. i always use it before an event to make me look extra tan. :)

on 7/1/2008 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Best. Ever.
Yes, I will still try other self-tanners as I am a curious gal, but I have faith that none will live up to my gelee express. I am very pale with some dry skin but I have never had a problem with streaking or orange color - only a beautiful natural caramel color, even on my upper arms which are permanently a little red from sun damage. It gives just enough color as well...not too much of a shock, but certainly noticeable. The texture is a smooth gel-creams which, without exaggeration, glides on the body and dries quickly. It leaves no grease or dampness on the skin - I can read my newspaper on my lap right after without the print travelling to my skin (one of my big problems with other self-tanners). Can also be mixed with body lotion to be used more often. I just use it once or twice a week and I keep a nice tan all summer long because of it. The other thing that makes it great is the smell, or lack thereof. I have never found a completely odorless self-tanner - at least in the development phase when that metallic telltale odor arrives - but this is pretty close. With others, I find myself constantly aware of the smell because it seems to come off me in waves but with Clarins I can really only smell it if i bury my nose in my skin. My boyfriend almost never notices unless i tell him and he has been known to rampantly complain about self-tanner smell.

on 6/19/2008 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am not normally one to write bad things but this stuff unfortunately was horrible for me! I used it two times - two times and broke out over my entire body, neck, legs, arms, chest places I didn't know I could!! I am extremly disappointed as I loved the smell, consistency and Clarins other sunless products. This was bad for me - I have sensitive skin but come on I have tried several others, St. Tropez, Shiesedo, Netrogena and not once have they...back this goes...ish.

The BEST self-tanner I have ever found - and I've used every single one you can think of (GlowFusion, St. Tropez, Coppertone, L'oreal, and on and on....)!! I'm extremely pale, so I'm always trying new ones and I keep coming back to this one. It dries in about 15 minutes (not 5 minutes, like the bottle says) but it's still considerably faster than any other self-tanner. This is also the only self-tanner that has never streaked on me. I apply it 30 - 60 minutes before going to bed and I wake up with a perfectly-colored, streakless glow. The only drawback is the price, but it's worth it for the ease of use and perfect results.