CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel
Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.8

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This product is not tinted but the application is smooth and even. I never have problems with streaking. It has the typical self tanner smell but its not strong to me. To avoid uneven tan, scrub your skin before applying and the color is quite natural and develops very quickly over the night. I use this on my face and neck only because its so expensive.

Product description mentions this product performs best within 6 months of opening. Quite true, by 8th month, it doesn't seem to work much anymore.

on 7/25/2010 11:17:00 AM

I purchased this as a face self-tanner as the product description indicates that it is for both the body and face. After using this several times on my face, I came to the conclusion that, while this did give me a good amount of color, the shade I got was more pink (dare I say even orange-y) than bronze. I wasn't altogether unhappy with the effect because I figured that some color was better than none, and it evened out my skin tone. However, I decided to see what else was out there and found a much better product in Dior's self-tanner for the face.

The Dior was certainly more expensive per ounce, but the effects were worth it as it gave my skin a more bronzed look. Another reason I liked the Dior better than the Clarins was the consistency. The Clarins is a thick gel which reminds me more of Vaseline. No matter how thinly I applied it, I was left with a greasy residue on my face that stayed until morning when I washed it off. Just having a coating of product on my face was unsettling, but I also suspect that it was giving me blackheads on my cheeks. Also, the Clarins seemed so thick that it didn't spread well. This was a small problem on my face, but I can't imagine how one would spread it all over the body easily. The Dior, on the other hand, spreads evenly and absorbs quickly.

It just smells so offensive...I'm using it (at night only) and only because it cost so much and I hate to waste the money! Now my sheets and pj's have the smell...it has a real chemical smell. I can't believe how many reviewers gave 5 lippies! Doesn't anyone else think it stinks? The color it gives is okay, but many self tanners (that don't cost as much) do just as good a job.

on 6/1/2010 10:58:00 AM

I bought this based on the recommendations here and I'm not really convinced it is worth the money. The first time I applied it (with a glove) I didn't notice any color at all! I am super pale, so I figured SOMETHING would show up. I reapplied the next morning and now can tell I'm slightly more "golden". It's not orange, but not bronze either. It doesn't look bad, but I was expecting more for the money. It did apply very evenly without splotching, although I was being meticulous and exfoliated well. I'm glad I bought it because I am going on the lake this weekend and don't want to blind people with my paleness, but when this bottle runs out (which won't take long) I'm looking elsewhere for a sunless tan.

Beautiful self tanner.....really! Fabulous color after just one application...makes me feel like I've been to the beach for the day overnight! Love it and once again, would have never tried if it weren't for wonderful MUA reviewers....thank you!!!!!

on 5/19/2010 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Excellent self-tanner, very beautiful tan - looks very natural - something between golden and bronze. Lasts longs. Just great!

on 5/15/2010 5:40:00 PM

I'm going to start by telling you that I had a terrible experience with a self tanner a very long time ago when I first tried an inexpensive one by Coppertone... does anyone remember that horrible product??? it was the dual pump, which had left me streaky and orange. I never touched a self-tanner again since. Lucky for us bronze lovers who are also concerned about skin damage, self tanners have come a long way!
Earlier in the year, I had a wedding to go to and it was still very cold so there was no chance I was going to get a miracle tan without stepping into a tanning salon, which I wasn't prepared to do! So I went to my beloved Clarins counter and asked a few questions, after reading read rave reviews about this particular self-tanner. I was still apprehensive about purchasing this product because of my past experience and also because of the price tag ($35 CAD). I caved and bought it because I really had no choice... I had about a week to go! I started by exfoliating as suggested and I applied that evening after the shower. As many reviewers stated, it does have a strange smell, but that doesn't last long. It doesn't take too long to absorb, although it does feel a little sticky at first. I didn't see too much of a difference the first night, but I was warned about that. I think you need to be patient when you start with this product! I put it on again the following evening and started to see the difference! I wasn't orange, I wasn't streaky, just lightly tanned and natural! By the third night I could defnitely see that you can easily achieve the color you want by layering this product, and it looks great! I haven't used it since, but I will start again as it's getting warm and I'm pretty pasty white, which isn't fun for anyone to see in the sun...I am very happy with this product and would definitely recommend to anyone! Will repurchase!

on 4/28/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, this is the first and only self tanner iíve ever tried, so...
I have pasty white legs and no plans to sun bathe, but summerís coming, and i want to look less larval. I figured iíd test this before my legs might be visible when itís warmer. I exfoliated my legs in the shower before my first application, as recommended. I read how horrible self tanners smell, but this wasnít so terrible and the chemical scent went away fairly quickly. I applied it as suggested, with my hands, using circular motions, and i had no obvious streaking. It dried fairly quickly and didnít rub off on my clothes. It made my skin slightly less white. A week or so later, i applied a second coat without showering or exfoliating first. Still no streaking, and the skin on my legs is now a nice golden color. Not quite my natural tan color, but definitely not orange. Iím satisfied.

on 4/23/2010 8:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I finished one tube. I am really not sure about this. Surely it is overrating.
Yes, it looked natural on my skin, but not very flattering.
I am NC25 and probably I needed more glow than flat finish.

In the past, I tried Estee Lauder gel, the finish was more gorgeous than Clarins.

I plan to buy other products such as Bliss tan and see how I like other products.

on 3/6/2010 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my favorite self tanner. Great tan color (no orange hue) with even results. While it still smells like self tanner, it's not nearly as bad as some other brands.

It's expensive, so I reserve this for my face or for special occasions (and I can't afford a mistake). For everyday body use, I use L'Oreal self tanning gel.