Bumble and bumble Surf Spray

Bumble and bumble Surf Spray

3.4

Water, Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, Alcohol Denat., Vp/Va Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Acrylates Copolymer, Sea Salt\Maris Sal\Sel Marin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Hypnea Musciformis (Algae) Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Gellidiela Acerosa (Algae) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Sorbitol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Hydrated Silica, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Aminomethyl Propanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol

on 8/31/2013 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This product will always be an absolute favorite. Some say its too drying some say it tangles their hair but if you're going for a beachy look you need to expect some mess! It's perfect after styling to spray in and give some texture. No complaints- basically a staple in my book.

on 7/20/2013 8:35:00 PM

Dunno what beach the makers were trying to emulate salt water from but certainly not anywhere close to what salt water and salt water air does to a naturally wavy persons hair.
I have naturally wavy hair, it's fine, and the since wavy hairs tend to be more porous and cuticles are open, it can get dry.
I've tried every which way, sleep on it, scrunch it, spray when wet, spray when damp, spray on hand instead of hand and scrunch, diffuser, braid it, bun it, twist it, tie it, use with moisturizing cream, use with Argan oil, use without creams, use without oil. Absolutely zero beach waves the emulate my home in the islands. I see what they are trying to do, but it's a long shot.
Makes my hair more limp, flatter, crusted, dry, frizzy, and odd....
Surf spray is Not for my hair type. I know it's possible because I bottle ocean water back at home (kapolei) and spray it, perfection.

on 7/16/2013 9:25:00 AM

Let me first say that I have bought countless surf sprays, waxes and gels in hopes that I wouldn't have to 'splurge' on this product. I've played chemist and tried to make it, a thousand different recipes and everything was the same: pretty waves as long as my hair was wet, and a sticky mess of limp stuck together hair when it was dry. My hair doesn't like to hold curl. It likes waves, it likes twirls, it doesn't like curls.

Recently I went to the hairdresser and told her about my dilemma. She scoffed at Bumble and Bumble surf spray and said it just contained beeswax which would make your hair hard, and then proceeded to sell me a curling creamy John Frieda that was MOR expensive than B&B. Guess what? It did nothing.

Last Thursday, while shopping for my favorite Fresh Sugar lip Treatments, I came across the 15$ B&B for 1.7 ounces. I decided to check out the bigger one with about 4 ounces at 25. Clearly the bigger is better in the situation. I ended up spraying my dry hair with the stuff, put my hair upside down, raked my fingers through it, and the put it up in a bun for a while. Then I proceeded to buy a big bottle of the stuff, figuring it was something I'd had an eye on for a long time. I'm a waitress and let's just say 25$ isn't that big of deal to me if the product works well. After an hour? Nothing but volume. My hair was proofed like a Texas beauty pageant but alas no waves or messy curl. Flash forward an hour later when I decided it go for a swim, when I got out I decided to spray my hair again and bun it again. Guess what? Success!

After 10 minutes there were beautiful waves and curls in my wet hair, reminiscent of naturally " poodle curl heads" as I like to call my friends who have long hair but really really tight curls. Up in the bun it went again to dry out more. After two hours when my hair was only slightly damp, I never use a blow dryer or heated tools on my hair thus huge water retention in my hair, I took the bun out again, tipped my hair over and shook out the curls. When I peeked up I had sexy bed head curls, more waiver than a Victoria Secret models, but with the same definition and volume. It was gorgeousness! My hair was so sexy! That night I ended up falling asleep before washing it out, with it tight up in a bun, and guess what? Eve better the next day! More sexy bed head curls that looked like I'd just gone a couple rounds of sheet rolling after I had stepped out of a beach beauty ad. The only flaw the day after? The salt that falls from your hair! Yuck.

To finally bring it home and tell you: I have thin hair but a massive, massive amount of it. It falls to my shoulders, and when it is wet it kinda twirls. It usually only curls slightly when I put it up in a tight bun after it is wet and let it dry out. This stuff really makes it look like I went went to the beach with a full head of styled curls, swam around for a bit, and came out with an amazing piece texture that looks beautiful. After debating about this stuff for such a long time, and building a collection of lesser expensive but non working products, I am so glad I made the choice to grab it.

PS: if you haven't tried Bumble and Bumble do not post your own homemade recipes here. The ocean doesn't use gel or conditioner in it to get our hair all beautiful and messy, it uses HUGE amounts of diluted salt and water. You'd never be able to compare a ten ounce squirt bottle full of water, salt and gel to the ocean. You can't even compare just salt and water. And finally you can't comparing this to the ocean water either. Bumble and Bumble has Beeswax in it, it's going to harden what the salt in it is doing so it lasts longer.

I managed to find this for a good price at a CCO in Birmingham. I really enjoy it! Straight-haired ladies, don't expect a miracle. I only use it for extra texture after styling. I have shoulder-length hair that's somewhere between coarse and fine. But there's a lot of it. It tends to hold whatever style I put it in. It has its issues, but I can't complain. So this product just adds a little something else to it. It's less of a styling spray and more of a finishing spray. I love what it does for my hair!

on 6/14/2013 12:29:00 AM

On first use, I did NOT like this product. I used it alone on my wet hair and after it dried it felt so dry and stripped of any moisture. The next time, I used it differently. I used my John Freida Straight Fixation cream and my Moroccan Argan Oil before in my wet hair, then sprayed a few sprays all over of Surf Spray. Ever since doing this technique, it works very well in my hair. I have naturally curly hair and this helps tame it down into loose, beachy waves. When used with my other moisturizing products, it does not make my hair sticky or dry.

Overall I really like this product, but it is expensive. And I think it works best if you mix other products in your hair, such as moisturizing creams or oils. I bought a mini bottle of it at Sephora for $15 but I know the full size is $25 or something like that. I will not use it everyday simply because I don't want to run out of it too fast. I will buy it again when I run out, but hopefully I won't run out for a while!

on 6/11/2013 10:12:00 AM

For the amount of money this stuff costs, I expected a heck-of-a-lot more. More product, more results...it's such an average surf spray. I have short to mid-length hair, normal, straight but can get it to hold a decent wave with a lot of work. I have to use so much of this product for it to make a difference in my hair. I've had this for 3 weeks or so and I feel like I only have about 1/4 of the bottle left and I do not use it everyday. It gives average hold/texture. I've honestly found better products at the DS for a fraction of the price. Once this is gone I'm going to make my own surf spray from a DIY recipe i found online.

on 6/1/2013 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I admit it- I'm cheap when it comes to buying hair products and have tried (unsuccessfully) to find a drugstore version of this for a while. Finally sprang for a small bottle and it is a revelation. My past-the-shoulders hair has only gotten wavy in the past 10 years and I've wanted something to help define and hold the texture- this stuff does the job. My hair has soft waves and still looks nice after walking an art fair in humid, windy weather. Even brushes through nicely- not crunchy or sticky and no nasty smell. Worth the money. Can't wait to see how it works with other styling methods.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Love this product! I have quite thick, short, straight hair and this works a treat! After the shower, liberously spray ever where on your hair, then blow dry with a difuser. It gives me wavy beach hair that looks awesome and messy, but effortless. However, it is 20 a bottle and doesn't last long... Also, if you have long straight hair, don't buy! My sister used it and it did nothing for her fine hair! Don't waste your money if you have long straight hair!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have thick wavy hair. After using B&B spray, all it did was passively create some waves while more so creating a lot of frizz. Rather stick to Garnier Fructis surf hair wax (does a much better job in my opinion).

I have very fine, long and limp hair. I was wanting to achieve the voluminous baywatch beach blonde look with this product, and I was pleased that this product gave me instant volume and I do like the overall look. The only downsides for me is the damaging of my already brittle bleached blonde hair......this product definitely doesn't do anything to help the condition of my hair. The price is expensive (I ordered it online and I was shocked at how little the 125ml bottle was-even with 5 off the RRP) but I do feel this is a trust worthy product that gives results.

Popular Styling Products