Bumble and bumble Surf Spray

Bumble and bumble Surf Spray

3.4

Water, Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, Alcohol Denat., Vp/Va Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Acrylates Copolymer, Sea Salt\Maris Sal\Sel Marin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Hypnea Musciformis (Algae) Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Gellidiela Acerosa (Algae) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Sorbitol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Hydrated Silica, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Aminomethyl Propanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol

on 4/1/2014 4:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This product was okay... but just okay. I didn't really notice a huge difference in my hairs texture, and I felt like it actually made my hair even frizzier. Definitely won't be getting this again, especially since B&B products cost an arm and a leg... =/

on 3/31/2014 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Short and sweet...it's awesome.

I'd recommend to those with wavy/curly hair plus any tendency towards frizziness to use this with a mousse if you blow dry it like it says to (best results, it doesn't really work otherwise), and maybe a flyaway or anti-frizz cream if it's a particularly humid day.

Final word: all those out there with a pixie cut like mine, this is a godsend, as it gives that rather effortless wave for everyday wear that just...it looks editorial mag gorgeous if you do it right.

I bought this after reading all the rave reviews online. It does give my hair messy, slept-in beachy texture and volume; however, it doesn't make my hair wavy. It is a good volumizer but I woudn't repurcharce this as you get too little product for the price you pay.

on 1/30/2014 3:58:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

When used correctly, surf sprays can add texture, body, and decrease frizz. This product does all that, and has excellent packaging, but is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED for what it is.

i googled "diy surf spray" and found out that the main ingredient in this product is Magnesium Sulfate, Also known as Epsom Salt, which you can purchase a big carton of for just a few dollars (you only need 1or 2 tablespoons to mix up the same volume as the Bumble product. When i mixed it with water (you can add some gel and/or fragrant oil, if you wish) it produced almost the same result as the Bumble surf spray for about ten cents (albeit with no "beachy" smell, but that's not worth an extra $25.90...to me).

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I bought this because I wanted carefree easy to use product that would give me the sultry beachy wavy hair. I had to return it because I got nothing of that sort instead I was left with hair that felt greasy, tangled, and dirty. I noticed my hair tangled like crazy and it was a horror to comb through my long hair. The smell of this product is great. I returned it after trying to use it for a month and each time i used it I had the same experience.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This is a fine-haired girl's answer to locking in volume. I used to mist hairspray at my roots to get my volume to last all day, but it would end up weighing down my hair, and making it eventually fall flat anyhow. The beauty of this is that it's a light product, and adds just the right amount of texture and hold to give some volume.

This is what I do:

After blow-drying my hair, I hold up a fairly large piece of hair towards the top part towards the back of my head, basically where I try to volumize the most. I spray some near my roots while holding my hair up. Then I basically give myself a noogie w/the fleshy part of my palm, around the crown of my head. I know it sounds absurd, but my stylist at Mizu Boston gave me this tip, and it really does work.

on 12/12/2013 12:53:00 PM

I wanted to try a salt spray to get that beachy wave effect and did some research. I ended up with the Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray despite the high price. There are many other cheaper ones available but I find most have alcohol and silicone in them. The B&B doesn't have any (not that I know of). The other contender was the Lush salt spray, but B&B seemed to get more rave reviews. I even thought about making my own because it was so expensive. I'm glad I settled with B&B. My intention was to get beachy waves, but ended up using as a root volumizer which is amazing! After toweling dry my hair, I let my hair air dry with the front clipped in a bouffant. When it is 50% dried I spray it onto the roots with the clip still on. I hold it far away so it disperse into a bigger area. I also spray on the bouffant. Be careful not to spray too much because it will become sticky, crunchy, and it will weigh the hair down. I usually do 4-5 sprays and scrunch as I go along. I again let it air dry another 15minutes and then blow dry and scrunch as I go along. When I wake up in the morning, I get so much volume in the roots! Amazing!

on 11/3/2013 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Good product - I have super straight thick hair that just hangs so I like to use products to add some texture and give it more volume.

I use it on wet or dry hair and blow-dry while scrunching it a bit, then spray a bit more on dry hair. It does make it a bit drier and tangled but nothing crazy that can't be solved with conditioner or a bit of hair serum.

Bottom line - I would not repurchase because I have very long hair and the bottle doesn't last and its overpriced for salt and water. I have used several other "salt sprays" that give the same effect in a bigger size and for way less money (like Not Your Mother's Beach Babe which is about $4-5 & I also like it Haircare Surf Spray Beach Waves which is about $9-10, L'oreal makes one although for me the smell was intolerable and I had to toss it).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

When I bought Surf Spray I was hoping it could magically give me the carelessly tousled beautifully unkempt waves the beauty industry has trained us to believe can actually result from a day at the beach. (But which absolutely does NOT happen on its own or without hours of styling unless you're blessed with exactly the right genes and lifestyle.)

I have fine but reasonably plentiful currently medium-length hair. My hair is naturally somewhat wavy, but tends to be easily weighed down, looking flat and without texture - it's easy to get it to go straight and flat, it's hard to get it to show off a nice wavy texture or to have body.

When I use Surf Spray on dry hair it's just ... not right? Maybe I haven't found the right technique yet, but I end up with dirty-ish feeling easily tangled hair which ... is still pretty limp. It gives a bit of texture, but not enough of an overall effect. I quickly gave up on it and didn't bother using it for a while.

However, recently I decided to try it on damp combed out hair before blow-drying, and I've had more joy. I spray a little all-over (maybe 5 spritzes max), run my fingers through it, then blow-dry until almost dry upside-down (for ease and for a bit more volume), then right-side up, part my hair and finish it off with fingers and a brush using the dryer on a low setting. The feel of the product in my hair is still similar - a little dirty (not greasy, but rather a 'dry' dirty feeling) and my hair is always more easily tangled with Surf Spray in it. However, what it does well is adding a bit of volume to my hair. The effect is more natural "this is just how my hair is" than styled, and it still doesn't give me those beachy waves ... however, the hair that I end up with is a reasonable 'base' for trying to go on and create that sort of style. (I'm just lazy.)

So basically in return for doing the trick of fairly effortlessly adding a bit of volume, I'm giving this product a 4-lipstick review. Which is probably technically unfair considering it's not exactly doing what it says on the bottle. However, I am hair-lazy so a product which fits into my routine simply and does give benefit is to be celebrated. I've indicated that I would not buy it again, simply because I'd be more inclined to try a new product, and see if I like the results more ... however if I couldn't find anything to beat Surf Spray, I would re-purchase.

Note: I'm also using a small dab of Rahua Finishing Treatment in my hair when damp, concentrating on the ends, so it's worth mentioning that my review is based around using Surf Spray in conjunction with another product. I think it would feel too drying/tangly in my hair on its own.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm on the fence with this product. It does work for the look I'm trying to get, but it requires a lot of pampering.

My hair is slightly damaged, leaning on dry, bleached to platinum blonde, and naturally straight with a slight wave. However, I can easily curl my hair and it will hold a curl/wave very well. Also, while my individual strands of hair are thin, I have a lot of hair (hopefully that makes sense)

The look I am trying to get from this surf spray is that slightly disheveled, texturized, a little rock and roll, French girl, model off duty, effortless bedhead look. That kind of hair that looks perfectly chic disheveled yet not homeless, 'I don't own a brush'. And trust me that kind of hair is hard to get. And I get that look with the Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.

My issues with the surf spray is that it requires a lot of other products in order to work for me. The surf spray is horribly drying. I could realistically only use it 2-3 times a week. And when I use it, I apply a leave in conditioner, the Kiehl's grooming silk creme and then spray the surf spray all throughout my hair (including roots) when my hair is towel dried damp. I blow dry upside down, run a straightner through certain sections of my hair, then apply a glossing serum. Although the look I'm going for is not glossy shiny hair, the surf spray does give a very matte effect to hair. And just like foundation, I believe hair should have that in between of overly shiny and overly matte.

The next time I wash my hair, I use a clarifying shampoo and then deep condition. The surf spray just leaves a weird film/residue on my hair that a regular shampoo just doesn't seem to remove properly.

It's also tricky to figure out how much spray you should apply - too little does nothing and too much leaves you with this sticky, bird ness disaster.

I like the way my hair looks when I use the surf spray, my issues are that it's kind of a pain to use because I have to use so many other products and its so drying. Overall, I think it's kind of a trial and error product - it may be the HG of hair products to certain hair types. Give it a shot, you can always wash your hair if you don't like it.

Popular Styling Products