MAC Cosmetics #217 Blending

4.7

my father's nostril hairs

on 6/9/2014 1:14:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

When writing this review there were 911 reviews which tells me this brush is popular! I love love this brush so much and was one of the first ever Mac brushes I bought. I own 5 of these brushes and use them for so much. I use them for applying colour on the lid (not just the Mac 239), applying colour in the crease (not just the Mac 224) fantastic for highlighting the cheek bones. Just a smidge of Mac Vanilla pigment using this brush looks fab. Never had any shedding with this brush and washes up a treat.

at first i thought this brush would be too big, but it is perfect. Definitely superior to the essence brushes and chapman brushes. It blends everything so nicely, soft but not too soft that is does the job it is suppose to without going all over the place, doesn't shed. This is a definite must of all the mac brushes

on 5/16/2014 8:11:00 PM

Now I know what all the hype on this brush is about. It lives up to everything I've read and more.

I had been quite content with my 20yr. old crease brush (brand unknown) to apply shadow to my crease and an ecoTools eye brush to blend when needed but when the kids asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day, I decided it was the best time to try out a more expensive blending brush. I narrowed it down to the It Cosmetics "No‑Tug" Heavenly Luxe Dual Eyeshadow Brush and the MAC #217.

As a blending brush, the It Cosmetics No Tug brush won out (hope to write a review on that product later) because it is fuller and much more soft. But after using the #217 instead to apply eyeshadow to my crease area I was absolutely blown away by the results! Even the cheapest ELF eyeshadows go on my 50+ yr old crease area so incredibly smooth leaving the softest and most seamless finish. I realize now what a difference a quality brush makes.

I also think the shape of the #217 makes it extremely versatile. The width of the brush fits perfectly in my crease area and the pointed edge allows application of another transition color below the brow when desired. As I said previously, it isn't the softest brush but there must be something about the goat hair bristles that deposits eyeshadow in the perfect manner.

If I hadn't tried the It No Tug brush, I probably would have been quite happy using the #217 as a blending brush also. But, for me, it really excels in depositing shadow...it does it so well, in fact, that I often don't even have to blend further.

I think this brush would be well worth the $24 especially considering it makes even the cheapest eyeshadows look high end.

UPDATE 5/29/14 - I freaked out when a good many of my 217's bristles splayed after washing it the first time, and even more the second time. No other brush I own has ever done this to me--ELF, EcoTools, Real Techniques, nor my 3 Christian Dior natural hair brushes. I was tempted to return it until I read that this is a common problem with the 217. After making a homemade brush guard, dampening the bristles, and drying overnight, the bristles returned to the original position. Although I may not return it, I'm still deducting a lippie for the aggravation.

I have one very similar to this which is seriously 30 years old. I have been using it more during the past few months and it has been bunching a bit at the base. I decided to buy another one. I can apply all my eyeshadow so quickly with this. It makes me look like a pro. I use the old one to blend at the end and my eyes look very good. It was about $30 Canadian including tax, but if it lasts me half as long as the original it will be worth it!

on 5/6/2014 11:24:00 PM

I can seriously apply all of my eye makeup with this one brush if I really wanted to. I like to use my finger for my lid when I am in a hurry...I feel it is easier that way. However, this brush is perfect for the crease. It seems to hit my crease line just PERFECTLY. I have lots of MAC brushes, and this is my go-to in the morning for my eye makeup. If you are new to MAC brushes, purchase this one first for sure! It works wonders!

on 3/26/2014 11:19:00 AM

I know this brush is a cult favorite but I'm sorry to say I don't understand why. I have been buying MAC products since their release in Nordstrom stores. I still use some of the brushes I bought back then, like my #21 brush that proudly states "Made in France", on a daily basis. The quality of the last few MAC brushes I've bought is subpar. I baby my brushes which is why I can still use the ones I've bought so long ago but these brushes shed like crazy, the bristles are not soft and they splay terribly. For the cost of the #217 brush, I'm going to replace it with Wayne Goss' #6 Blending Brush. Shame on you MAC!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Love this product, but I hate the price.

I actually thought I just sucked at doing eyeshadow until I tried this brush. With this brush my shadow looks just like the pics I see online.

It doesn't shed, and has lasted a really long time. The numbers rub off the side of the brush, so put a little clear nail polish over it when you first get it, if you don't want that to disappear.

I spot clean with the MAC brush cleaner, and do a full wash with baby shampoo.

If you only have the budget for a single MAC brush, get this one. You can apply eye color and blend with it too.

on 3/8/2014 4:31:00 PM

After holding off this purchase for the longest time, and spending my entire beauty budget on makeup, I decided to get this. I'm gonna say just one thing: I can do my entire face with just this one brush (okay, maybe not blush and setting powder but literally everything else).
Soft, blends effortlessly and doesn't wipe off what you've put on
Packaging could be a lot better though. It comes in a flimsy plastic wrap like thing open at one end.The kind of plastic they have for vegetables at the grocery store. i mean seriously MAC? I get the whole recycling thing, but after paying 25 dollars plus tax, I'd like to walk around the mall care free without having to tactfully balance my bag so that the bristles don't go out of shape.

on 2/27/2014 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This one is hard to review, I think SO much of this brush but I am so annoyed by the price... it blends so well, it's perfect but it's so expensive!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

If you haven't purchased this brush already, What are you waiting for? This brush is simply outstanding when it comes to blending out any eyeshadows. Whether you're using a cheaper drugstore eyeshadow or expensive high end eyeshadows, this brush will get the job done in less than no time. It makes getting that nice, professional look super easy. A few swipes back and forth in the crease and you're done. Love this brush. I've had this brush for many years and the quality, just like all Mac brushes, are great. I'm actually planning on purchasing another one. Run out and get this brush, it's really that great.

Popular Makeup Brushes