Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

I received this foundation for free (benefit of working in the beauty industry)- I wouldn’t purchase it myself because foundations with talc always break me out.
I have the shade 130- if you have fair skin with strong yellow undertones this shade is for you. It’s very hard to find very, very yellow foundation shades so props to the brand for the shade range!!! The only this saturated color I’ve ever found is Sisley Phyto Teint Expert in 0 Porcelain.

Anyway, I decided to give this foundation a try.
Shade: it’s a bit too dark for me but since the undertone is right it blends nicely with my skin.
It doesn’t oxidize on me, maybe slightly but no more than half a shade.
Finish: I have combo skin, usually prefer satin matte foundations so it’s up my alley. Doesn’t make my skin shiny and keeps oils at bay.
Coverage: is just right, I’d say solid medium. I use the smallest amount because I have pretty good skin. One pump is more than enough.

I’ve been carefully using this foundation only from time to time- never for several days in a row, since I don’t want it to clog my pores. So far so good!

on 10/18/2018 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I’ve been waiting some time to write up a review on this product since I wanted to see how well it wore and how my skin reacted to it over the space of a few weeks.  Some background on my skin: I have normal skin with a slightly oily t-zone. My skin is fairly even except for the slight demarcation lines near my upper lip (a lot of darker-skinned people have this problem) and my skin tone is NC 40. That being said, I can’t speak for this product’s coverage capabilities since I go over the demarcation lines and also my undereyes with concealer (the foundation does boost the coverage though). I wear the Fenty in 290 and it starts off a bit pale but oxidizes quickly enough and matches me so perfectly that even my own mother had no idea I was wearing makeup.  I like to apply it sparingly (for regular work days) with a dome shaped brush in buffing and stippling motions, starting from the center of my face and working my way outwards. If I apply it with a beauty blender, I don’t like to dot it on since it dries so fast; instead I take a pump on to the back of my hand and press it in well into the sponge and then dab it on to my face. This foundation lasts all day, looks like my skin but oh-so better and blurs pores. The formula is on the dry side; I like this for my skin type but I could see someone with a dryer skin type mixing this with a facial oil.     I feel like the oxidization issue along with the dryer formula are the two reasons there are such mixed reviews for this product. The girl at Sephora had actually sold me shade 310 which I ended up returning once it made me look like I’d gotten fake tanned. I highly recommend testing out a couple of shades before buying anything, that’s for sure! Shade 290 matches me like a dream and I’m totally hooked on this product now.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this foundation when it first came out and loved seeing the variety of colors and undertones offered in this collection. However, I know many people had difficulty finding their shade because of this. I first looked on the website to see what was being offered and tried comparing it to foundations I currently have, mainly the MAC studio fix and Prolongwear foundation which is an exact match to my skintone. I went into Sephora with a few options to see what would match and also had one of the staff members at Sephora match me. Based on that I started off with a sample and wore it for a few days to see if I liked it and bought the full size.

pros:
- If you're oily like me, this is definitely a matte foundation. I read some reviews and watched various YouTube videos that mentioned this foundation is semi-matte. Don't listen to them, it's definitely matte and perfect for all the oily gals out there!
- The lasting power of this foundation is wonderful. Typically I reach for this foundation for special occasions such as weddings because of the finish and lasting power.
- There's a pump and a lid for the pump! You don't need more than one pump of foundation for your entire face.I also like that the packaging has a lid for the pump because I've purchased other foundations with a pump (and no lid) and have had accidents with them especially during travelling.

cons:
- Not a fan of the frosted container. This makes it a bit difficult to see how much product you've used/how much product is left.
- Can look cakey if you apply too much or don't blend properly. I personally use my Real Techniques Complexion sponge to blend evenly. I also add a few drops of my Farsali Rose Gold Elixir to my sponge prior to blending to ensure that my face does not look to cakey. Even though I'm oily, I still manage to stay matte using a combination of this foundation and a few drops of the Farsali Rose Gold Elixir.
- Quite thick for an everyday foundation. I mainly keep this foundation for special events.
- Clings to dry patches on skin. Make sure your skin is hydrated and moisturized prior to using this foundation otherwise it can look patchy in some areas.
- Dries very quickly if it's not blended right away.

on 10/17/2018 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This foundation required a lot of trial and error on my part but it was absolutely worth it in the end. For reference, I’m nc20 with neutral undertones and have dry skin with some acne scarring. Here are a few things to consider when trying this foundation:

-It oxidizes like crazy. More than any other foundation I’ve tried. I started with 190 neutral and had to switch to 150 neutral because it oxidized so much very quickly.150 is a perfect match. When first applied it looks too pale, but within an hour it matches my neck/chest perfectly. I would definitely go lighter than you think on this foundation.

-It sets very quickly and is quite thick. I tried using a brush but found it works much better with a damp fenty bb sponge (which I love more than the original BB). I work in small sections and use the damp sponge to blend it out, bouncing it on my skin.

-the fenty primer makes all the difference for me with this foundation. Without the primer it goes into my creases and looks kind of cakey. With the primer it doesn’t crease and looks like second skin. I highly recommend using the primer.

-the finish is a beautiful matte that is a medium-full coverage. I barely need any concealer to cover up my acne scars and undereye circles (I use nars soft matte concealer in vanilla)

-it lasts all day and keeps me matte. It transfers some, but setting it with KVD lock it powder with the Laura mercier powder puff helps with that. The only fdtn I’ve found that is transfer proof is ELDW and it was very masklike on me. This is what I wanted ELDW to be on me.

All in all, I do recommend trying this foundation as the shade range is incredible. It’s not the easiest foundation to work with, but the finish and lasting power is worth it in the end. I also absolutely love the smell. It’s slightly sweet. Hopefully this helps someone who is considering trying this foundation!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Was given a sample by a friend who was cautioned to go a shade or two lighter and cooler because of oxidation issues. With her warmer-neutral medium tone, I can't conceive of her wearing something as light as she was given. 107 Cool is not what I would've chose for myself either (being fair olive with golden undertones) but it melded with my skin and didn't have too much of a pink or porcelain mask effect as the day went on. It is a bit grabby and has to be well blended with a sponge (reg flat foundation brush doesn't cut it.) But, it wears very well. I've gotten accustomed to light coverage with my skin mostly behaving (thanks to the Ordinary!), but for medium coverage, it's pretty good! I'm a fan of old-school original formula Double Wear, and its long as I continued drugstore counterpart- Almay Amazing Lasting Makeup- so nothing ever seems to touch those in endurance, but this is a decent foundation and worth a try- especially for the gorgeous shade range!

on 8/21/2018 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th bottle of this foundation. I have very oily skin, occasional breakouts, and large pores. This is definitely the best mattifying foundation I've tried and it's staying power is incredible.

The thing with this foundation is you do need a good primer. I've found this to not apply as good with certain primers. Right now I'm using Murad's Oil Control Mattifier - which I always come back to as one of the best primers. I did try the Fenty Primer but I didn't like it as much as my Murad Mattifier.

With the right primer this foundation applies so smooth and your skin will look amazing and your makeup will last. BUT if you have lots of dry patches this foundation would not be for you. It does cling to dry patches and rough areas - hence needing a good primer (or moisturizer as well).

The finish is matte but it's not a flat dull matte. It's more of a satin matte finish, which is absolutely perfect.

One of the cons besides clinging to dry patches is it does oxidize a tad. My colour is just light enough that when it darkens a tad it still matches my skin so it's not an issue for me.

I've tried so many different foundations but nothing worked as well as this one for my oily skin and nothing lasts as long. The next foundation that had close to the same staying power was Smashbox 15 hour wear but it wasn't a nice satin matte finish as the Fenty Foundation.

Definitely my go-to and will continue to keep repurchasing!

on 8/3/2018 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

First of all, what I absolutely adore about this foundation line is that I could actually find a perfect shade match. I actually use this foundation as a benchmark to gauge the colour match of other foundations that I want to try. Its medium coverage looks nice on my skin. I personally dont really like heavy foundations because they tend to make me look like I'm wearing a mask, so I do appreciate its natural looking finish. The pump packaging is brilliant. It makes application very easy and hygienic. I havent noticed any breakouts from using this product.

However, I don't think it suits my oily, textured skin. Find that it doesn't give me that "pro-filter" it advertises. I've found that it doesn't look good when I apply it to my forehead because of my texture. It also does break down throughout the day and transfers a bit when I blot. The pigment separates around my nose and smile line area over time. Also, layering the product to become more full coverage tends to make my skin look cakey, so I just stick to applying a thin layer.

Nonetheless, I have enjoyed my time with Fenty, but I think I'll be looking for other foundations after I'm done with this bottle.

on 6/20/2018 5:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Let's talk about what it says it does first...
"A soft matte, longwear foundation with buildable, medium to full coverage, in a boundary-breaking range of 40 shades."

soft matte - checked
longwear - checked
buildable - checked
medium to full coverage - checked
shade ranges - checked

It seems to do as it promises. Now move on to the application and why I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5.

I'm a kind of tinted moisturizer/BB cream woman on a daily basis. So this foundation comes when I know I have a long day ahead or on a special event days that more neat makeup is needed.

I found using this with a primer and a beauty blender works best for me. As the foundation dries quite quickly, I put a small amount on a small area, buff it into my skin, and continue to next small area until it covers my whole face. It gives me a soft matte finish. But I tend to be oily during the day so I put on a bit of loose powder sparingly.
Applying it with my hands also works but it did not give me an undetectable finish as much as with a beauty blender.

Shade 240 matches me quite perfectly. But i'd say it does a bit of oxidizing. So I tried a shade in a shop and gave it some time to dry and set in and look back again if the color still matches my skintone. But once it dries out it stays true to the color.
The coverage is quite enough. I don't need a concealer for my average face.

And I wore it to an event of my friend which held in some hot and humid weather and at the end of the day (about 10 hours) with a bit of blotting, it still stayed and looked good on my face.

Now the part of a one lippie out... it contains not many moisturizer ingredrients in the list (as it's supposed to give you a matte finish) My skin felt quite dry after long hours wearing it. It broke me out. And if I wear it everyday it might make my skin feeling worse. However, adding a few drops of face oil was a good idea to counteract this problem for me. But why i have to spend extra money to buy face oil to use it together with. As there are many other matte foundations that do their job pretty nicely in the market.

Would i buy it again? Maybe. But new products keep launching to the market everyday, don't they?

Final verdict : too matte I like dewy but lasts forever. Looks great. Coverage is super but feels heavy on the face. I moisturizer well before and used the Fenty primer sample that came with it. For dry skinned girls it would be too matte. If I were going somewhere for an hour or two I would wear this but all day I feel gross. Look good but feel it on my face. I would buy this as it does perform better than the urban decay and Laura mercier samples I got in the Sephora foundation sampler.

on 6/6/2018 4:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this foundation I have very oily skin if I don’t powder properly I will still get oily and crease with foundation the packaging is so nice and it has very good coverage and is buildable I do suggest picking a shade or two lighter than ur actual shade cause it does oxidize abit