Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

on 9/16/2017 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This foundation retails for $34 US, it contains 1.08 oz of product (standard is 1 oz), and it is housed in a heavy weight frosted glass bottle with a pump.

I have this in the shade 290- medium neutral olive which is a spot on match for me. Probably one of the best foundation matches that I have used. The other foundations that match me well are NARS Stromboli, GA Luminous Silk in #6 ( to get a perfect match I have to mix 2 parts shade #6 with one part shade #5.75) and Cover FX G50+.

I currently have oily-normal skin. My skin is well hydrated and exfoliated. This foundation has a soft matte finish and I believe designed for oily or normal skin. I can see why it wouldn't work for people with dry or skin texture issues. For me, it doesn't dry out my skin but it doesn't moisturize it either. On my skin, it gives me medium coverage, feels light on the skin, and a soft smooth matte finish. It is buildable to full coverage on me. It takes 1.5 pumps to cover my entire face and I go in with .5 pump to spot conceal. I don't feel the need to add additional concealer.

The true color of the foundation is after it sets on the face. In it's liquid form it is about a 1/2 shade to 1 shade lighter. After it sets I didn't notice is getting any darker. Something to keep in mind whem choosing a shade.

The foundation itself is very liquidity buy well pigmented. The foundation sets really fast so I found it best to work I sections or use a big foundation brush that will allow you to blend quickly. My favorite brush to use with this is Sigma 3DHD Max Kabuki.

I don't feel the need to set this with powder. It looks matte enough for me. It last about 6 hours before my skin gets oily. I just using blotting sheets or powder to get rid of the shine. My foundation is still in tact after I blot the oil. I can get about 10 hours of wear with this foundation. I am sure I can prolong the wear if I used setting powder or spray but I am lazy.

I am acne prone and have been using this for 5 days straight with no issues. At this point if a foundation were to cause me to break out or clogged pores it would have shown up by now.

Overall, I love this foundation. It works really well with my skin type. It's a huge plus that the shade match is perfect.

on 4/22/2019 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This looked flawless after application but once I used a lighter concealer and contoured my face I looked slightly grey. It didn't leave me glowing at all however my foundation stayed matte on a night out and perfectly in place. However I have ONLY used this alongaide the fenty primer which is amazing. I bought the shade 430 from Harvey Nichols even though I thought I was a 420. I explained my face is lighter then it looks as I am always given a colour too dark. The sales advisor told me no way was I 420 as it was too light. She put the 430 on me which looked good in the store lighting but because she made me feel like a idiot for wanting to try a shade lighter I bought it but I've been looking orangey according to my partner.
I even went back on a second occasion and was told no by a different advisor who didn't even attempt to put it on my face but told me 420 was too light. I'm going back for the third time to buy the 420 I knew I was which I now have to buy and I will be kicking up a fuss about their lack of knowledge.

Please don't listen to sales assistants follow your gut. I will never ask for help again regarding foundation.They have a no returns policy too which is ridiculous. They need to sell fenty in other retailers other then Harvey Nichols.

My daughter loves this foundation and insisted I try it. I have mature/combo skin and sometimes find it difficult to find a foundation that addresses my skin issues. I had heard this was a pretty full coverage foundation and was hesitant to try it because the last thing I want is for any product to settle into my fine lines! I decided to get colour matched at Sephora and the sales girl suggested I go half a shade lighter in this foundation. She explained it doesn't oxidize per say but dries down darker. She gave me a sample and away I went. Well, I really, really like it! I did apply it lightly and used a damp beauty blender. You have to work quickly because it dries fast. But the finish! Oh the finish! Beautiful! I could have skipped setting it with powder but did out of habit. My blush and bronzer applied beautifully. It lasted perfectly all day, did not crease or cake and did not transfer at all. I do wish it was less expensive to buy, but will definitely purchase it and this could be what I would wear on my wedding day because the finish and staying power are top notch!

on 3/23/2019 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

The formula works for my somewhat oily skin. I don't find that it oxidized on me, (I bought shade 120) and it stays matte and lasts all day with minimal touchups. Was pleasantly surprised at how long it lasted. I had a little creasing around my nose after about 9 or so hours, but nothing too noticeable. Coverage is about medium at best. It can be built up to full but I think it looks kind of cakey if you try to get fuller coverage.

Applying it was a learning curve for me. It's different than other foundations I've tried, in terms of application. Since it is VERY quick to dry, you have to apply it in small sections, otherwise it will be blotchy if you dot it all over your face like other foundations. Moisturizing and priming is a must before applying, even if you have oily skin.

Overall I love how long it lasts. So far, I haven't had any breakouts from this foundation. I don't know if it's worth the full price, but it's definitely worth trying if your skin is on the oily side.

on 3/14/2019 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Before I talk about the foundation I want to talk about the shades. I know Fenty has more than the average has to offer, but they have still failed to create a shade for me. I have a medium brown skin tone with a strong olive undertone, I basically look very olive but I can’t manage to find a shade. 290 got the undertone right, 300, 320 & 340 are peachy so they don’t match, 310 is a little too neutral and 330 is dark enough but is very orange, 345 fits the perimeter of my face best but it’s more red than olive, yet it claims olive. So I bought 290&345 and I mix them. But I don’t like how they pride themselves when they fail in the olive category.

So about the foundation- love the texture, not drying (if you use a non matte primer), blues pores, covers enough of my acne, covers redness, doesn’t really cling to peach fuzz.

But it doesn’t do much with my skin texture. Doesn’t enhance it but doesn’t help it either. It also dries as I apply it and it’s too quick for me and I have trouble working in sections I don’t like that at all.

I don’t know if I would buy it again but it is a great product

on 2/26/2019 12:31:00 PM

At first I didn't like this foundation. I found it dehydrating and unnatural. I have a normal to dry mature dehydrated skin. Then I tried to mix it with some marula oil and it actually worked for me. When applying it feels very sticky but it settles very quickly. It doesn't go into my small lines and pores. It lasts all day. You can see I have foundation on but it is not cakey at all. My skin looks smooth, luminous and healthy. But not matte.
So I'm happy I found a way to make it work for me because I was about to throw it way. Now I love it. Yet I won't wear it everyday because it tends to make my pores clog. Maybe it's the marula oil though I tried it with other foundations and didn't have any issues.
One last thing this foundation oxydizes like crazy! So make sure you take a lighter shade!

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this because I love Rihanna, and not because I needed one more foundation. I found my HG in Nars sheer glow, but I wanted to see if pro filtr lived up to the hype. I bought it with the primer (which I friggin love!) in the shade 120, because I'd heard that this product oxidizes like a motha. It's a great match for my NW15 skin. I find powdering to set this is unnecessary, and I end up a bit cakey at the end of the day if I do. Plays well with my urban decay all nighter spray, and other products layer extremely well over it, meaning the fdn doesn't lift up or move around when I'm applying and blending. I get best application using a damp beauty sponge, brush application left me a streaky mess, but your experience may be different. I look pretty flawless throughout my 10 hour days and this baby can handle a sweaty 4 hour dance session like a champ! The only con to this product that I've found is that it's a bit dry for my skin type, so it settles and creases in the very few wrinkles I have. I solved that with a few drops of facial oil mixed together before I apply, but since I have to do that this gets 4 lippies instead of 5. Overall I dig this fdn and would repurchase. Eagerly awaiting the release of her new concealers!!

on 1/4/2019 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love everything behind this brand however I feel that this product could improve to evolve into the perfect foundation if they could make it last longer and look a little less matte but that may be just a personal preference. I love the fragrance and texture of this formula, I have some freckles on my face and in spite of the high coverage that it has it is still possible to see them maintaining a natural and light look that honestly fascinates me. The price is fair, excellent shade range, fabulous packaging, you must give it a try.

I am Oriental, and staying in a tropical country. My complexion colour is medium, and I have a combination of oily and dry skin, but mostly oily, with open pores. I use Pro Filt’r (No. 200) on my face except for my nose. The shade is slightly lighter than my skin tone, but there’s no different shades visible (face and neck) when photos are taken. It is long lasting and keeps my skin fresh and does not streak. I have it on for around 10 hours a day, and my skin still looks great at the end of the day. The foundation is very bendable. I apply this foundation with my fingers. No brush or beauty blender. I have tried foundation brush but I find using fingers are still the best, it blends into my skin. For my nose, I have to put on a different foundation, Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation (Cool Creme no. 3C0). I find that Fenty foundation tends to streak and stays on top of my nose, doesn’t blend in easily and the different shades around my nose and cheek is visible. Before I put on the Fenty foundation, I’d apply The Porefessional as a base by Benefit.

on 12/25/2018 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this alot...this is the only true full coverage liquid foundation I own because I hate heavy foundation lol, but I don't hate this. I'm 49 yo, and even though I'm still very oily, I don't gravitate towards a full matte base. This product is just really really good, and when I add a drop off jojoba oil to half a pump, I get a perfect, flawless look. There's a great color range, and neutral 150 is perfect for my N20/25 skintone. I will definitely repurchase.