Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

Really wanted to like this foundation but found it cakey looking as soon as I applied it. It separates on my skin during the day but most other foundations I have tried don’t do this. Really disappointed and not worth the money :(

I have dry - combo skin. The colour match on this foundation is great but the texture/coverage just isn’t for me. This foundation makes my skin look dull and dry. You can definitely see that you’re wearing foundation. I prefer a medium coverage foundation that looks like skin, or is slightly more dewy.
I don’t like the pump - I feel like once I finished the bottle there was still some left in the bottom that I couldn’t get to.
I also find you have to blend it immediately or it sticks to the skin and won’t blend out. It tends to stick to dry patches. I want to love this, but I just don’t.

Very dry looking, accentuated my acne scarring and texture. The coverage was very sheer too.

I like the transparency of naming the undertones when choosing shades as well as the availability of yellow shades, but that’s about it. I did a 48 hr wear test without primer and I couldn’t get this to work for me.

1) I have combo/oily skin with texture and this accentuated the heck out of my pores. Like oh my god made ‘em look like craters! Would definitely need a primer with this.
2) It dries down to a soft matte but this quickly becomes shiny within 3-5 hours (in Hawaii with humid, sunny 85F weather).
3) I can’t stand foundations that change shade. Now this may not “oxidize” into a terrible orange like some foundations, but it does get darker as it dries further down. The Sephora rep who helped me color-match recommended I get a shade lighter than what I see in the bottle or swatched. No thank you! I don’t want to be playing color guessing games.

on 8/16/2018 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Was able to get a sample of this from Sephora - shade 180. Darker shade than I thought I'd have to wear, but it actually was spot on for my skin. I'm light very warm yellow, so I give lippies for a good shade match.

However, right after application (damp sponge over my Primerizer) - I didn't like how this looked on my skin. I had dry patches popping up (in some of my regular spots) that do not do this with much cheaper, matte foundations (catrice). So this was starting off on a bad wrong foot. Then, it got worse after I put setting powder on top (a dusting). I set with Catrice spray - and I just didn't like the look of this on my face. It seemed to emphasize my pores, and it looked very powdery/cakey. If I don't like something right off the bat, then I won't wear it again. I wore CG Elixir foundation (cheap) yesterday mixed with my HG Catrice HD foundation and that looked 10 x better than this on my skin. I can tell when something blurs my pores vs. not. This stuff doesn't. For the price tag, I will not purchase. Very happy I can try samples of these sorts of higher $$$ foundations.

I also noticed that by 1.5 hours later after application, my oils were coming through on my nose already. So for a matte foundation (even with my normal primer) this somehow made my oils kick in too fast.

on 7/10/2018 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

9/20/2018:
I decided to come back and revise my review for this foundation after recent trial and error.

If you are tanner than NC10 and like this foundation - try to see if Catrice HD Liquid Coverage has your shade. That foundation has hands down the most beautiful formula I've ever used on my oily skin. It's not as matte as my beloved Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse (you'll never find anything as matte IME), but the formula is the trade off. I fell in love with the Catrice but was disappointed by the palest shade being too dark. So I googled the ingredient list for a dupe and.......... Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation is very close. Fenty has much better shade options. I thought it was weird I loved the Catrice but hated the Fenty so i went into Sephora to give it another shot. Shade 100 is a dead on match for my <NC10 skin. But it seeps into every imperfection. 120 however....is just like the Catrice (great formula). So this just tells me that the titanium dioxide they have to add a ton of to the palest shades in order to whiten them, is what ruined the foundation. Ugh.

I'm now compromising by mixing my bottle of shade 100 into the Catrice. I prefer the Catrice...just hate their shade range. On the flip side if they made one as pale as the Fenty it'd probably be ruined by the titanium dioxide amount too. Ugh.

Ingredient comparison...

Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation: Water, Dimethicone, Talc, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Propylene Carbonate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Parfum/Fragrance, Silica, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana Seed Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499).

Catrice HD Liquid Foundation: Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Talc, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl PEG / PPG-10 / 1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, HDI / Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Methicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

---------------

Original review:

While I appreciate Fenty Beauty's broad option of shades to choose from, this foundation did not work for me. I am very oily, acne-prone, and have crater pores. All my conditions are managed by skincare most of the time. But a proper foundation is still key.

I found this foundation to be cakey. Even worse, it sank into every imperfection on my face. The pores around my nose became emphasized. It was disgusting and powder-y.

I will not repurchase.

on 5/14/2018 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Not too impressed by this foundation. I was looking for a more economical choice to the normal foundation I use, and decided to try this one since it had pretty decent reviews on Sephora.

This is a pretty thick formulation. It didn't spread very well with a dry sponge, though it might work okay with a wet beauty blender. It dries pretty fast otherwise and even though I blended very thoroughly ( I thought), it was still a little streaky and not very blended into my hairline either. I also think these colors lean a little to the warm side and I'm typically neutral so that might be a no-no for very fair or cool toned girls.

Not a big fan overall. I've found drugstore foundations like Almay that are more effective.

on 5/12/2018 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

In my opinion, it's an okay foundation. It's pretty lightweight on the skin. My main issue with this lies on the fact that the product creases along my laugh lines. Also, it doesn't do a very good job with keeping the oil at bay on my forehead area. Also, the color is quite hard to predict cos it really does dry down/oxidize to a darker shade after a few hours. Will definitely not repurchase this.

I really wanted to like this foundation after all the hype. However I was really disappointed as this made me oxidize like a oompa loompa. Maybe I will try a lighter shade in the future because the finish WAS really nice. I just did not like that I looked orange in about a hours tops. If they fixed this issue with this foundation then maybe I would buy again.

Me and my mum both got shade matched to Fenty foundation during our latest sneaky shenanigans at Sephora. I was matched to 120 and she was matched to 220. Both our shade matches are impeccable and blend into our skins flawlessly. However, that is sadly where the positive points end. The "boundary breaking" shade selection is the biggest selling point with this line but unfortunately it doesn't have much else to offer. The finish is a dry powdery matte which manages to highlight any texture or slight imperfections you may have and it doesn't wear particularly good either. By the end of the day my t-zone was shiny and coverage had noticeably faded. It is fairly easy to blend with a brush or Beauty Blender but the problem is it adheres to some areas of the face whilst going patchy/uneven on other spots. I was tempted to just keep this hoping for better results when summer comes around but I'm impatient so I returned it. Kat Von D Lock It, Estee Lauder Double Wear, Bobbi Brown Skin Longwear Weightless, Lancome Teint Idole Ultra, Diorskin Forever, Nars Sheer Glow, YSL All Hours etc are all better choices.

Pretty much every other foundation that I've tried or owned is superior to this crap by Rihanna which should be sold at Walmart for $13. This is drugstore quality makeup being sold at Sephora and touted as "highend". But to be honest there are drugstore foundations that are actually better than this. Sorry but someone had to say it.