Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

on 9/21/2017 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

As a foundation junkie, there was no way that I was not going to buy this foundation. I'm also not big on celebrity brands but after spending about 8 hours on and off watching YouTube reviews on the Fenty products, I really wanted to try this.
I'm 62 years old. My skin is dry. Very dry. My skincare routine is very important to me. Because of this I was a bit nervous to try but I went to Sephora and was color matched. The two colors that were swatched were 160 and 170--Light/Cool. I took two samples home with me because I really wanted to "try before buy". (I did buy the Gloss Bomb and the primer--WOW).
The next morning, I made sure my skin was well-hydrated with serum and cream and when dried, I applied the Fenty primer. (review to come). Allowing about 5 minutes for the primer to set, I went ahead to apply the foundation. NOTE: Before applying the foundation, you MUST shake the bottle. Shaking the bottle helps the foundation to mix and you will not have any oxidation. At first I used a foundation brush and didn't like the way the brush applied. Then I used my finger to apply and blended in with a dampened Real Techniques blending sponge. This application worked like a charm. Next, I allowed the foundation to dry completely then buffed with a large buffing brush. Then I sprayed setting spray. The foundation did not feel dry neither did my skin. The finish was superior and the coverage is very, very good. I don't want a full coverage and one pump was all that was needed.
I've heard from some reviewers that contour can lift this foundation. This did not happen with me. I used the Match Stix in Amber. It is a very cool taupe and with my fair coloring is a great contour. Blush, everything else stayed put.
This foundation has been a delight. I've gotten many compliments on how great my skin looks--my husband, who can't stand foundation mentioned that my makeup looked very soft and natural. At a price point of $34, this is a great value because you don't need a lot of product. If you remember to shake the bottle it won't oxodize. Honestly, I had no oxidization at all! Hope this helps. Oh..and this cosmetics line is very "old lady" friendly!

on 9/21/2017 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Was so hesitant to purchase this based on all negative reviews on here.. but I'm so glad I ignored them!

Purchased this foundation in shade 200, at first i thought it was too light on my skin but it takes a few minutes to fully dry and it went slightly darker, which was perfect for me.. (keep this in mind when buying!) My skin is slightly oily and prone to few breakouts.

It glides on nicely, using a real techniques expert face brush and the coverage is medium/full. I usually use Estee Lauder Double Wear so I had high expectations when buying this foundation; I can honestly say I don't think I'll go back to Double Wear, as by the end of the day the foundation felt slightly heavy but with Pro Filt'r it didn't feel as though I had anything on my skin! It stayed put all day and covered all my blemishes and dark circles. I primed with Charlotte Tilbury wonder glow primer & set the foundation with Laura Mercier translucent powder and it stayed flawless all day.

The foundation also has a subtle smell to it which I love (although I know others hate it)!

100% going to go and stock up on this in case it sells out anytime soon. Thank you RiRi!!

Finally after struggling for a week i found the right way for applying this foundation.

i have an oily combi skin with a little acne-prone, so very important is that this foundation is not giving any bad reaction.

During the entire week i've tried out what would be best to put as a base, an i figured it has to be a slightly greasy hidrating spf cream in order to avoid the dry finish, with my La Roche Posay Anthelios KA spf 50+ moisturizing care it works good!!!

Like that my pored are less visible (as with other bases it was the case)..

And most important i found out the way how to apply is best with my fingers, and only 1 pump!!! Like that the 'natural' finish looks best, as before i used 2 pumps and it looked caky..

And than... first they matched me #200 but using it for 2 days i didn't like the colour, too yellow... and they changed it at Sephora for colour 170, the lighter version of cool tones... now it's a match, at first it kind of is too light, but after 10 minutes it's perfect!!

so conclusion is: use only 1 pump with fingers with a good moisturizer as base!! now i have a winner!!!!!

My new favorite foundation of ALL time!

First of all let me say how great it felt being a WOC and be able to walk into Sephora and have MULTIPLE shade choices, not the 1 or 2 brown colors like almost all makeup companies offer.

The coverage is perfect not full not light just how I like it. I have very oily skin and this gave a soft matte coverage all day without sinking into my fine lines which usually happens to me with all matte foundations! And this is the first foundation that matches me perfect everything down to my undertone (I'm color 430) thank you rhianna I will only support this brand when I'm Sephora from now on!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is my favourite foundation of all time and I am super picky. My skin went from oily to dry this past year. This blurred out my pores and didn't accentuate my dry skin. I have super acne prone skin and I had a few breakouts when I applied this but this never broke me out even after over 12 hours of wear (this is super rare for me, everything makes me breakout!) and covered my acne naturally.

I've tried all the Dior foundations, Lancôme, Giorgio Armani, prescriptives, tarte, urban decay, MUFE, nothing compares to this. I can see why some people say it's drying but I make sure I moisturize my skin really well before applying this and the finish is absolutely beautiful, very natural with a slight glow (I've only used it with a beauty blender so far and I'm shade 130, yellow undertones)

I feel bad for the people that wasn't able to love this foundation because I have never found a foundation I'd purchase more than once in the last 20 years but I will repurchase this one forever. Love love love!!

on 9/16/2017 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the first time that I bought a product because of its bad reviews here. Why? It is because a lot of people ranted about the product being too dry. Well, this for me and other oily gals is not a bad thing. Let me go a bit deeper. When your face, with or without makeup, turns into a grease pan, you would appreciate a bit of oil control. This product reminded me of the Chanel Double something or another that has been discontinued close to a decade. This also reminded me of the original Revlon Colorstay before its few reformulations. Unlike those old foundations however, this product is watery which I like. It provides good coverage and it is buildable. I suggest a bit of moisturizing concealer under the eyes. The product dries fast so I suggest good old fingers in fast action. I think sponge and brush would eat up this product and can cause waste. Of course, I did not use the Fenty brush so my testimony about the brush can be negated easily. The shade 260 was a perfect match for me. Although MAC considers me NC30, I have more neutral skin tone. Last, but not least, although I wouldn't buy makeup just because of the celebrity whose name is on it, I make an exception this time. I love Rihanna and her work so once again, she made me proud!

on 9/16/2017 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This foundation retails for $34 US, it contains 1.08 oz of product (standard is 1 oz), and it is housed in a heavy weight frosted glass bottle with a pump.

I have this in the shade 290- medium neutral olive which is a spot on match for me. Probably one of the best foundation matches that I have used. The other foundations that match me well are NARS Stromboli, GA Luminous Silk in #6 ( to get a perfect match I have to mix 2 parts shade #6 with one part shade #5.75) and Cover FX G50+.

I currently have oily-normal skin. My skin is well hydrated and exfoliated. This foundation has a soft matte finish and I believe designed for oily or normal skin. I can see why it wouldn't work for people with dry or skin texture issues. For me, it doesn't dry out my skin but it doesn't moisturize it either. On my skin, it gives me medium coverage, feels light on the skin, and a soft smooth matte finish. It is buildable to full coverage on me. It takes 1.5 pumps to cover my entire face and I go in with .5 pump to spot conceal. I don't feel the need to add additional concealer.

The true color of the foundation is after it sets on the face. In it's liquid form it is about a 1/2 shade to 1 shade lighter. After it sets I didn't notice is getting any darker. Something to keep in mind whem choosing a shade.

The foundation itself is very liquidity buy well pigmented. The foundation sets really fast so I found it best to work I sections or use a big foundation brush that will allow you to blend quickly. My favorite brush to use with this is Sigma 3DHD Max Kabuki.

I don't feel the need to set this with powder. It looks matte enough for me. It last about 6 hours before my skin gets oily. I just using blotting sheets or powder to get rid of the shine. My foundation is still in tact after I blot the oil. I can get about 10 hours of wear with this foundation. I am sure I can prolong the wear if I used setting powder or spray but I am lazy.

I am acne prone and have been using this for 5 days straight with no issues. At this point if a foundation were to cause me to break out or clogged pores it would have shown up by now.

Overall, I love this foundation. It works really well with my skin type. It's a huge plus that the shade match is perfect.