Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have conflicting feelings about this foundation. My shade is 230 (Asian with neutral undertones). I think the finish is beautiful and while most would complain about the oxidation, I actually kind of liked that it makes me look like I have a natural bronze but not to the point where my face and neck do not match. Most other foundations look too flawless and a hair too light compared to my neck. Now I'm sure this isn't most people's cup of tea just know it does oxidize. I liked that this blended perfectly. I have normal skin (sometimes dry) but textured which is my issue when it comes to this foundation. You definitely need to prep and by prep, I don't just mean a pore filling/hydrating primer. You have to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize and prime otherwise this foundation will emphasize all the nooks and crannies on your face.

The best finish I find is using a brush that you can "wipe" or blend the foundation in downward strokes similar to the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush or ELF Ultimate Blending Brush (or the brush that she sells) but make sure it's clean or you will have a streaky application. A sponge is also ideal if you wanted a lighter, more natural coverage but you will have to use a few more pumps with this method. I definitely do not recommend a flat top kabuki brush (which is usually my favorite method of applying any foundation) because this will emphasize the texture and sort of sit on top of it when you press it into the skin. I wore this to a concert but stupidly mixed it with other foundations which I HIGHLY suggest you avoid because it separated like CRAZYYYY. Overall it's a good everyday foundation. It will last you an 8 hour work day but not into the night. I probably won't return it but I wouldn't repurchase it either.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Where do I start... this foundation is bloody amazing!! I have difficult skin. Goes through phases of being dry, then oily, then combo and breakout prone. I think the best way to describe my skin type would be ‘temperamental’ and doesn’t like a lot of foundations. Being the beauty junky I am I leapt at the February launch and ordered the foundation. While waiting on it I tried a sample which suffice to say was horrendous!! Made my skin look like a dried up piece of flakey leather and aged me about ten years. So suffice to say I wasn’t too happy I’d bought it. However when it came I was determined to at least try and work with it as everyone seemed to be raving about it. On the bottle it saying clearly you MUST shake before use and my gosh is that the truth!! After giving it a good shake and applying quickly with the Fenty sponge my face was FLAWLESS!!! I have acne scarring and this watery seemingly thin foundation COMPLETELY covered it!! No need for my regular kryolan dermacolor! It’s definitely a ‘soft’ matte as described as it’s not dry looking at all after shaking. I’m an Estée Lauder double wear girl but I’ve been converted.... feels light as air, covers like a dream and doesn’t cake! Transfer resistant and lasts a 12 hour day. For reference I’m super pale and wear shade 140 which I don’t find oxidises a whole lot on me. I’l be ordering a darker shade for when I’m tanned and can’t wait to get my hands on more Fenty products!!

on 10/4/2017 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was so excited to try this because it was super hyped up online. I got samples from sephora when this first launched, and tested it out before buying a bottle. I did not find my exact shade match. I am about NC10-15 and 130 was the best match, but still too dark. Since the coverage is so high you really need to match it well.

I hope if they add more shades they bring out a paler yellow shade, all the shades under 130 are far too neutral/pink for me.

I have dry skin and when prepped well it sat alright on my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

If you do not have oily - extremely oily problem-free skin, you're out of luck. This foundation made my acne-prone skin look horrible! It accentuated my dry patches (some of which I didn't even know I had), my acne scars looked 10x worse, and looked so cakey and heavy on my skin. It did not look natural on me even though I have used matte foundations in the past without a problem (I usually prefer a satin finish). I didn't try it long enough to determine if it causes breakouts or not, I just couldn't stand having it on my skin. This is really disappointing, as I have seen so many beauty bloggers rave about it :(

I gave it an extra lippie because of the awesome shade range and packaging.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Let me start off by saying I was very excited about this foundation because of the shade range. I thought finally I will be able to get an exact shade or atleast close to my shade without having to mix in 2 different foundation shades. I was matched to 290 on this foundation. I actually went out to Sephora store to pick up a couple of the Fenty Beauty Products on the launch date. To be honest I don't even go to Sephora and did it just for this launch. That's how excited I am. Then it went downhill from there.

The packaging is nice. Frosted Glass with a pump (heck yeah) take note Estee Lauder. Hahahaha! It's minimalist but very feminine.

The shade at the store matched me almost. Granted I was in a rush and the lady that was assisting me did not mention anything about it drying down darker or to pick up a couple of shades lighter than my skin tone, so I went to the closes shade to match me with a warmer olive undertone. This dries down 2 shades darker than me after application. During a 12hr wear, I was not prepared for it to oxidised anymore than it has and I purposely set this with a lighter shade pressed powder to help with the colour but unfortunately this just turned orange. Like a bad fake tan orange on my face.

Putting the shade aside for a minute let's get on with the formulation. I am a combo skin. Very oily at my T-zone. I have a fair bit of active acne from the medication I am currently on and it's messing with my hormones. I do have a fair bit of hyperpigmentation also. So the thought of having this foundation Full Coverage and Mattifying super exciting. This is more liquidy than I anticipated.

I was also not told and not having seen any reviews when I got this foundation, well I did what I would normal do in day to day application and dot this all over my face. LMAO because that was a HUGE mistake! Despite the fact that this is liquidy, it dries down so quickly! I had dry foundation dots all over my face. I couldn't blend them at all. I started all over again and worked in sections. In saying that, I have worked with a lot of Matte Foundation and this is by far the hardest formulation I have ever come across. Brush will be quicker but it's a horrid finish. Beauty Sponge is a decent finish but I am stressing out having to blend it quick. I'm not here for any anxiety over a foundation. Once the first layer dries down and you try to build it in areas that just didn't do enough, well it's super patchy. It didn't work well with me in building this foundation. I will give this foundation a solid medium (2 layer) non buildable if that makes any sense.

If you put this under your eye as well and put a concealer under there, it is so drying!!!!! It will go patchy and it will skip when you are blending your concealer. Not ideal to put under the eye also. Just don't do it. It also emphasized all of my fine lines under there. JUST DON'T DO IT!

This excentuates all of my dry patches, even area that was not dry (hahahaha!), Settles in my fine lines, smile lines and boy oh boy horrid on textures. I can't speak about pores as I use a pore filling primers too. Just HORRID! I think this is the worst foundation I have actually ever put on my face. From application, to the finish and the longevity. This also is not invisible. You will know you are wearing a foundation because it is cakey in so many area of my face which I usually don't get in my other foundations in my collection.

Now for something that is mattifying, my oil started coming through by 5hr mark. It does not seperate which is good but I am super greasy. Her blotting pressed powder is MAGIC though. That in my opinion is a must have in the entire collection. This is cakey, it gathers pretty bad on my smile line, upper lip, sides of my nose and the side of my cheek near my nose. I must say though, once your oil started to come through, dry patches is gone.

Is it worth $50? A big resounding NOOOOOOOO for me anyway. This did not work for me for the 8 days that I was trying to work with it. I have tried to mix this with other HG foundation that I have and just NO. I have given up. If the shade was off and it was amazing I will happily go buy the right shade. This to me have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Primers Tested
*Lancome La Pro Base Primer - one of my HG and it failed on this. It was easy to blend as it is silicone.
*Becca Primer Luminious - this played the nicest with this foundation. It helps with the blending and finish of the foundation.
*Cover FX Mattifying Primer - super horrors with this
*Becca Velvet Primer - it's OK. Still horrid
*Urban Decay Deslick - I got no words! The worst combo out of the bunch.

Setting Powder Tested
*RCMA no colour powder - become too drying
*Laura Mercier Loose Translucent Powder - Cakey
*Charlotte Tilbury - Pressed Powder - Saved the day
*Fenty Beauty Blotting Pressed Powder - Great for both setting and blotting. This performed the best with this foundation.
*Kat Von D Pressed Blotting Powder - surprisingly did amazing to airbrush the finish.
*MAC Mineralized Powder - super horrid
*MAC Studio Fix Pressed Powder - Cakey

Setting Spray
*Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day - this is one of my HG and I found this is the only one that actually helped with the longevity.
*Australis Mattifying Setting Mist - Nope Nope Nope!
*Cover FX Mattifying Setting Spray - Nope Nope Nope!
*Pixi by Petra - Glow Mist - Really helped the foundation to melt more and helped with the dryness that's for sure. Didn't do well for the longevity but helped improve the finish 100%.

Best applied with a sponge. Gotta work quickly in sections. Use a very thick moisturizer to help with dryness, best work with silicone or lotion type primer. For me atleast, I have to set it with powder. If I don't it's a hot mess! I will try to mix in some of my Cover FX custom cover drops to see if I can add some more coverage so I don't have to later it on and avoid caking. Sad that it

Not sure... I purchased online, so I did get a shade that was too light. Now I am on the fence about either getting a refund or getting a correct shade match.
One thing that I do not like is it's difficult to apply. It skips and does not glide on. I know it's a matte formula, but it seems hard to work with. When using a brush it streaks, so then you have to go over it with a beauty blender. When you use it just with a beauty blender it doesn't seem to have as much coverage, and shows pores. Plus it's powdery and dries very fast, so you have to be quick when applying it.
After it's been on for a few hours, it does look better. My skin is slightly oily in the T zone and the oils come through after a days wear, but the foundation looks nice and doesn't break apart.

on 9/25/2017 10:37:00 AM

I'm lucky as I have a close friend with a similar skin tone who purchased this foundation (140), so I was able to try it out without actually buying it.

While it's great that this foundation caters to so many different tones, this is definitely not a product for dry skin. I have combo skin, and my dry areas looked very cakey after I applied it. I gave it about an hour to settle in, and it still looked like a tight cement mess that sucked out all the moisture out of my cheeks. And yes, I did heavily moisturize and used a spray after applying. My oily areas looked good. The finish was satin and very natural, with medium coverage.

I think that the bottle is great, I love the array of colors/tones, but in the end I don't think this is a product for me. Might work better with oilier skin.

on 9/23/2017 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I must say, the shade range alone deserves serious praise and recognition. The fact that the darker shades are selling out like crazy is proof that anyone not beige toned is being ignored by manufacturers. Good on Rihanna for finally giving the people what they have been asking for for years.

Given the crazy mixed reviews on this, I knew I had to try it for myself and draw my own conclusions. I took advantage of Sephora's deluxe sample offer and grabbed shade 220 before it ran out. I am normally not a fan of matte complexion products as they do not compliment my dry, fine lined skin. This foundation is high in silicone, as evidenced in the finish. It's definitely soft-matte, which I like and as the day went on, I noticed the finish became dewy, which I REALLY liked. There isn't any discernible fragrance and I love the packaging - frosted glass with a pump. Yay for pumps!

I applied with my RT sponge with really nice results. The coverage is definitely medium. I plan on using my RT Expert Face Brush with the next application just for comparison's sake. It dries pretty quickly and yes, it does dry down a bit darker but it doesn't really impact the shade in my case. I tried 210 just to see if its a better match once dried down and it was too light so 220 it is! I didn't expect transfer proof wear out of this foundation as its not advertised as one - anyone who expected that set themselves up for disappointment.

Lastly, this foundation did not cause any breakouts!!! While it doesn't replace my HG L'Oreal True Match, it's a keeper and I've since purchased the full size.

on 9/21/2017 6:47:00 AM

I never have much trust in "celebrity" owned brands, so I only got a few samples of this foundation so I can see for myself if it's all hype or it's really a quality product, and unfortunately it turns out it's just hype, as far as I'm concerned. This is a less than mediocre foundation, there is nothing good I can say about it.

I found a shade that matched me pretty well, at least for the first 15 minutes, after which it oxidized and turned an unflattering shade of yellow. The texture was not flattering on me either, and I don't have texture issues.

Even the coverage wasn't as high as I thought, maybe a medium at best.

The lasting power is probably ok, but I had to wash it out after 5 hours as it had separated on my nose and chin (which are a bit oilier but not excessively so). It also made my skin feel itchy.

For the price and the hype, I would have expected much more.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I got a deluxe sample from Sephora in 150 to try out. The colour was a little too yellow for me if I purchased I would go with something with a slightly more pink undertone. I noticed when I first applied it looked great, but by the end of the day it had shifted quite yellow. I would really suggest you try a sample before committing to a colour.

Performance wise it went on really easily with a brush and gave me great coverage. It built up beautifully over my red spots so I didn't need to use any concealer. I set it with my normal powder. I'm a very oily girl and I thought it would be drier but I did have to blot throughout the day. It wears beautifully, it's super lightweight and comfortable to wear. It has a lovely, light powdery finish to it. It remind me a lot of my HG Estee Lauder Double Wear but at the end of the day I can't wait to take off the Double Wear, it feels thick and heavy. The Fenty foundation remains super lightweight up even after 12+ hours of wear time.

Aside from the colour matching/shifting issue I really love this foundation and will definitely be going back to get matched and pick up a full-size bottle when I need a new foundation.