Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.2

on 1/4/2019 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love everything behind this brand however I feel that this product could improve to evolve into the perfect foundation if they could make it last longer and look a little less matte but that may be just a personal preference. I love the fragrance and texture of this formula, I have some freckles on my face and in spite of the high coverage that it has it is still possible to see them maintaining a natural and light look that honestly fascinates me. The price is fair, excellent shade range, fabulous packaging, you must give it a try.

on 12/26/2018 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This foundation is amazing. It looks very natural on the skin as it has a natural finish. It also doesn't transfer at all and there is no need for setting powder with this foundation.
I do think that this product is rather expensive, but it's worth every penny!

on 12/25/2018 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this alot...this is the only true full coverage liquid foundation I own because I hate heavy foundation lol, but I don't hate this. I'm 49 yo, and even though I'm still very oily, I don't gravitate towards a full matte base. This product is just really really good, and when I add a drop off jojoba oil to half a pump, I get a perfect, flawless look. There's a great color range, and neutral 150 is perfect for my N20/25 skintone. I will definitely repurchase.

I have dry - combo skin. The colour match on this foundation is great but the texture/coverage just isn’t for me. This foundation makes my skin look dull and dry. You can definitely see that you’re wearing foundation. I prefer a medium coverage foundation that looks like skin, or is slightly more dewy.
I don’t like the pump - I feel like once I finished the bottle there was still some left in the bottom that I couldn’t get to.
I also find you have to blend it immediately or it sticks to the skin and won’t blend out. It tends to stick to dry patches. I want to love this, but I just don’t.

on 7/10/2018 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

9/20/2018:
I decided to come back and revise my review for this foundation after recent trial and error.

If you are tanner than NC10 and like this foundation - try to see if Catrice HD Liquid Coverage has your shade. That foundation has hands down the most beautiful formula I've ever used on my oily skin. It's not as matte as my beloved Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse (you'll never find anything as matte IME), but the formula is the trade off. I fell in love with the Catrice but was disappointed by the palest shade being too dark. So I googled the ingredient list for a dupe and.......... Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation is very close. Fenty has much better shade options. I thought it was weird I loved the Catrice but hated the Fenty so i went into Sephora to give it another shot. Shade 100 is a dead on match for my <NC10 skin. But it seeps into every imperfection. 120 however....is just like the Catrice (great formula). So this just tells me that the titanium dioxide they have to add a ton of to the palest shades in order to whiten them, is what ruined the foundation. Ugh.

I'm now compromising by mixing my bottle of shade 100 into the Catrice. I prefer the Catrice...just hate their shade range. On the flip side if they made one as pale as the Fenty it'd probably be ruined by the titanium dioxide amount too. Ugh.

Ingredient comparison...

Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation: Water, Dimethicone, Talc, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Propylene Carbonate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Parfum/Fragrance, Silica, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana Seed Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499).

Catrice HD Liquid Foundation: Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Talc, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl PEG / PPG-10 / 1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, HDI / Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Methicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

---------------

Original review:

While I appreciate Fenty Beauty's broad option of shades to choose from, this foundation did not work for me. I am very oily, acne-prone, and have crater pores. All my conditions are managed by skincare most of the time. But a proper foundation is still key.

I found this foundation to be cakey. Even worse, it sank into every imperfection on my face. The pores around my nose became emphasized. It was disgusting and powder-y.

I will not repurchase.

on 6/20/2018 5:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Let's talk about what it says it does first...
"A soft matte, longwear foundation with buildable, medium to full coverage, in a boundary-breaking range of 40 shades."

soft matte - checked
longwear - checked
buildable - checked
medium to full coverage - checked
shade ranges - checked

It seems to do as it promises. Now move on to the application and why I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5.

I'm a kind of tinted moisturizer/BB cream woman on a daily basis. So this foundation comes when I know I have a long day ahead or on a special event days that more neat makeup is needed.

I found using this with a primer and a beauty blender works best for me. As the foundation dries quite quickly, I put a small amount on a small area, buff it into my skin, and continue to next small area until it covers my whole face. It gives me a soft matte finish. But I tend to be oily during the day so I put on a bit of loose powder sparingly.
Applying it with my hands also works but it did not give me an undetectable finish as much as with a beauty blender.

Shade 240 matches me quite perfectly. But i'd say it does a bit of oxidizing. So I tried a shade in a shop and gave it some time to dry and set in and look back again if the color still matches my skintone. But once it dries out it stays true to the color.
The coverage is quite enough. I don't need a concealer for my average face.

And I wore it to an event of my friend which held in some hot and humid weather and at the end of the day (about 10 hours) with a bit of blotting, it still stayed and looked good on my face.

Now the part of a one lippie out... it contains not many moisturizer ingredrients in the list (as it's supposed to give you a matte finish) My skin felt quite dry after long hours wearing it. It broke me out. And if I wear it everyday it might make my skin feeling worse. However, adding a few drops of face oil was a good idea to counteract this problem for me. But why i have to spend extra money to buy face oil to use it together with. As there are many other matte foundations that do their job pretty nicely in the market.

Would i buy it again? Maybe. But new products keep launching to the market everyday, don't they?

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was looking forward to trying this foundation , given the hype, but it fell flat for me. For reference my skin is oily to combination. I tried this as a sample in the shade 130. The shade is spot on, perfect. This is comparable to the shade Gobi from NARS. But the wear is pretty bad. Upon application, it was so difficult to blend in with a brush. It was caking into every pore and crease, and just looked heavy. It began seperating almost immediatly and just looked like a mess. Clung onto dry spots as well, even after exfloiating and moisturizing. Very drying as well. Sorry Riri. :(

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SELECTED SHADE: 240 (NC37 for reference)
SKIN TYPE: combo
METHOD OF APPLICATION: sponge

PROS

- shade range
- medium coverage

CONS

- drying
- feels heavy
- accentuates pores
- clings to dry spots

COMMENTS: Mmm...no. Just no. Felt heavy and looked terrible. My face looked dry and textured. It accentuated pores and came off before 8 hours. It also didn’t grab onto certain areas of my face very well. Great shade range, but it ends there.

on 3/30/2018 4:56:00 PM

Bought this because I love Rihanna and because I´m always on the lookout for the perfect foundation. I have tried this with and without the primer and neither works for me. Looks very cakey from first application, I can not get this to blend well with the Fenty sponge or any brush or other sponge applicators. I have dry-combination skin so usually foundation looks a bit dry and cakey on me at first, then after the first hour of wear my natural oils come through and makes it look more dewy and natural. With this it only gets worse throughout the day, and I can´t salvage the look with any setting spray. I also tried using as little product as possible but that made everything look uneven and gives a strange mix of textures in the face. I don´t think this is good for drier skin types. Have seen it on normal and oily skintypes with a much better result.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am on the fence as to whether I would purchase this based on the sample that I've tried, but for now it is a no. It is very liquidy and doesn't offer much coverage on the first go, so I feel like a full bottle would be used up super quickly. The shade range is amazing, and I love that they put it in a nice glass bottle with a pump; however, the finish is too matte for my taste as well. Overall, it is not a bad product and it deserves some of the recognition that it has gotten, but it is by no means one-size-fits-all as it is very drying. I have dry skin, so I know I could only use this once a week at most.